Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing

Old 24 Jan 2006, 23:02 (Ref:1508459)   #1
awegrzyn
Racer

awegrzyn has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
What do you think about the new Dyson Lola?

I like the team, but I'm not sure about their new car. It's very similiar to the LMP2 car and not that impressive. The rear is almost ugly from the side view.

For some reason all those "new" LMP cars have similiar design and all of them look somehow skinny at the back from the side view.
Old 24 Jan 2006, 23:13 (Ref:1508470)   #2
The Badger
Veteran

The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!
I think the rules need to be rethought . I think its disgusting that an LMP1 car can look the same as an LMP2 car . They should look differant in my opinion . As for the ride height (sidepods) and that awfull rear end ..... no comment !!!

Is there any fact in , the Lola LMP2 car can be modified to LMP1 class ?
Old 24 Jan 2006, 23:31 (Ref:1508491)   #3
cybersdorf
Veteran

Austria
Vienna, Austria
cybersdorf should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridcybersdorf should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
A certain other series has taught us that "racecars don't need to be pretty" - and I must say I like the B06/10s look. Would have preferred a single rollhoop, but the rules mandate two. We'll get used to this as we've got used to other things.
Old 25 Jan 2006, 00:28 (Ref:1508513)   #4
Flat12-Aircool
Veteran

United Kingdom
Stoke-on-Trent (The Potteries)
Flat12-Aircool should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridFlat12-Aircool should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by cybersdorf
A certain other series has taught us that "racecars don't need to be pretty" - and I must say I like the B06/10s look. Would have preferred a single rollhoop, but the rules mandate two. We'll get used to this as we've got used to other things.
Which race series is that?

Sorry but I have to disagree, the most popular racecars that pull in the crowds are always pretty.

The Lola LMP1 is ugly but alas does it really matter as they probably won't win anything anyway?

The ACO really need to take a second look at their regulations governing the rear of the car. I can fully accept the need for a raised front splitter and the sloped undertray sides, but car makers need to have more design freedom with the rear of the car. Those rear safety plates are just awful!
Old 25 Jan 2006, 01:31 (Ref:1508528)   #5
The Badger
Veteran

The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flat12-Aircool
The Lola LMP1 is ugly but alas does it really matter as they probably won't win anything anyway?

Good job you didnt say " if they do win something , i will eat my hat" !!!

That car "will" be very quick indeed ..... imo .
Old 25 Jan 2006, 01:38 (Ref:1508530)   #6
CorvetteC6R
Rookie

CorvetteC6R should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Badger
Good job you didnt say " if they do win something , i will eat my hat" !!!

That car "will" be very quick indeed ..... imo .
I agree!! I expect a few wins! Though I think it looks a bit different that the LMP2 version. Glad there is somebody that doesn't complain all the time!! I could have sworn this was the SPEEDTV boards...yikes!!
Old 25 Jan 2006, 01:40 (Ref:1508532)   #7
jhansen
Veteran

United States
California
jhansen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridjhansen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridjhansen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Honestly, I don't mind the new cars one bit. Especially as we've now moved past the hybrids and seen some genuinely new cars. The RS Spyder, R10 and Lola P1 and P2 cars all look great IMO. The new Courage LC75 is also a looker. Each of these cars is different, which is a good thing to. Twin rollhoop doesn't look great I'll admit, but these are sportscars afterall, and not single-seaters. So that rule makes sense.

Sure, they'd all look better with a cleaner rear end and lower side pods, but when they're on the track it's still magic to watch.
Old 25 Jan 2006, 02:27 (Ref:1508546)   #8
cmk
Veteran

Canada
Linköping, Sweden
cmk should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridcmk should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridcmk should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I don't think that it looks all that bad under the constraints of the new rules. I make no secret of the fact that the mandated back-end structures are boring and give the new cars a sameness that the old ones didn't have - look at the different permutations of tail on the B01/60, R8, 04s, Dallara etc. for examples. Smooth swoops, more boxy channels (Audi), low-slung wings (B01/60) and the like all have gone the way of the dodo, replaced by a tackier-looking wing and a box. Still, that's the way of the rules and in those conditions the Lola is a fine-looking racer.

What gets me though is how similar it is to the LMP2. Sure, it's got minor differences but I like to see a variety of cars on track and while the engine is different, the performance is different etc. I'd prefer a new shape vastly to the same one. Still, this is going to be a strong car in the hands of Dyson, so I'm excited to see it run!
Old 25 Jan 2006, 02:37 (Ref:1508549)   #9
JAG
Veteran

England
JAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Once you see the Dyson car in full livery it will look totally different.

All cars, whether it be LMPs or single seaters, look crap in plain Carbon.

Its certainly a far more purposeful car than the 'MG', which IMO looked like an F3 car with enclosed wheels.

I also love the looks of the RS Spyder and unique Audi. The Courage LC75 shows these cars can look very different.
Old 25 Jan 2006, 02:43 (Ref:1508551)   #10
richmini99
Racer

United States
Turners Falls MA, USA
richmini99 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I could care less if it looks like a P2 or not. All I want to see is Dyson have a car that can put the fear into Audi and the Penske Porsche for that matter. All I ask for is no more mechanical heartbreak in 2006!!!
Old 25 Jan 2006, 02:55 (Ref:1508555)   #11
19000RPM
Rookie

United States
Naples FL & Atlanta GA
19000RPM should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I was disappointed when I saw it for the first time. From what I had read about it, I knew the 06/10 would be similar to the 05/40, but not THAT similar. Nevertheless, I think the car is awesome, especially when paired with the new AER engine. I'm glad Dyson finally has an up-to-date LMP1.

-Jeremy
Old 25 Jan 2006, 03:51 (Ref:1508568)   #12
Fogelhund
Veteran

Canada
Binbrook, ON Canada
Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!
The shortened rear overhangs, and minimum heights mandated by the ACO, do leave a little to be desired aesthetically. As a fan of the streamlined "langhecks", I don't find these nearly as appealing.

The front end of the new Lola looks pretty decent from side, and front views though, and it will be interesting to see how it looks in full livery. Bottom Line though, how does it go, and will it stay going.
Old 25 Jan 2006, 03:56 (Ref:1508569)   #13
tblincoe
Veteran

tblincoe should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I love the "new era" LMP1s and LMP2s.
Old 25 Jan 2006, 06:52 (Ref:1508592)   #14
The Badger
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorvetteC6R
Glad there is somebody that doesn't complain all the time!!
I thought i "was" complaining all the time !!!
Old 25 Jan 2006, 06:56 (Ref:1508594)   #15
TWK
Veteran

TWK should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridTWK should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by tblincoe
I love the "new era" LMP1s and LMP2s.
Amen, and I remember Jim Hall's cars.
Old 25 Jan 2006, 07:02 (Ref:1508601)   #16
The Badger
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhansen
Honestly, I don't mind the new cars one bit. Especially as we've now moved past the hybrids and seen some genuinely new cars. The RS Spyder, R10 and Lola P1 and P2 cars all look great IMO. The new Courage LC75 is also a looker. Each of these cars is different, which is a good thing to. Twin rollhoop doesn't look great I'll admit, but these are sportscars afterall, and not single-seaters. So that rule makes sense.

Sure, they'd all look better with a cleaner rear end and lower side pods, but when they're on the track it's still magic to watch.
The Lola's look almost the same ,which is criminal in my opinion cuz they are a differant class so should look differant !

When on the track , yeah , they are magic to watch . Every year i leave le mans ..... im already plannin for the next year ..... Sportscar racing is something very special .
Old 25 Jan 2006, 07:06 (Ref:1508603)   #17
KA
Veteran

KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
I think the rules need to be rethought . I think its disgusting that an LMP1 car can look the same as an LMP2 car . They should look differant in my opinion . As for the ride height (sidepods) and that awfull rear end ..... no comment !!!
Is there any fact in , the Lola LMP2 car can be modified to LMP1 class ?
I'd have thought it was pretty much inevitable that an LMP1 and LMP2 from the same design team were going to look pretty much similar- after all, having designed a quick P2 ,they're hardly going to throw all of the data from the B05/40 away and start from scratch. If Porsche were to annouunce an LMP1 programme tomorrow, I'd be surprised if it didn't show a strong similarity to the RS Spyder.

At a guess, the only way it was going to look radically different would be if the LMP1 and LMP2 regs included major differences in terms of chassis dimensions or aerodynamics

Personally, it doesn't bother me- thinking back to around 1989/90, try telling the difference between a C1 and C2 Spice...

I'm not wild about some aspects of the LMP regs and how they affect the look of the cars, but I can live with it
Old 25 Jan 2006, 10:31 (Ref:1508689)   #18
Francesco
Racer

Italy
Lecco, Italy
Francesco should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
i like it a lot! for me it has much better looks than the MG... i don't like at all the look of the Audi but the Porsche is quite good too...
i really would like to know how Zytek and DBA in Hybrid form will look like, they were wonderful last year...
Courages are the only cars i never liked too much both C60 and C65
Old 25 Jan 2006, 10:51 (Ref:1508699)   #19
Bentley03
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Bentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Eagerly loaded those first precious pictures onto the screen and...........it's a black B05/40 with B06/10 written on the side.

I know there are subtle differences, but what an anticlimax. Interestingly, the most common criticism (visually) of the new LMP's is the rear end. In the case of the new Lola, it's actually the long, low front I dislike. Looks like a snow shovel!

Nevermind, I'm sure it'll go better than it looks.........
Old 25 Jan 2006, 11:01 (Ref:1508706)   #20
isynge
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bentley03
...In the case of the new Lola, it's actually the long, low front I dislike. Looks like a snow shovel!
Bizarrely the front end of the Lolas is one of the things I find most appealing about the cars. It's reminiscent of a McLaren CanAm car and to my eyes has loads of retro chic.

That said, I'm not too offended by the rear ends of the current crop of cars, which probably puts me in a very small minority!
Old 25 Jan 2006, 11:20 (Ref:1508723)   #21
Bentley03
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Bentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by isynge
It's reminiscent of a McLaren CanAm car and to my eyes has loads of retro chic.

That said, I'm not too offended by the rear ends of the current crop of cars, which probably puts me in a very small minority!
I agree with you on both these points. But the front of the new Lola looks out of proportion with the rest of the car to me.

If you're a fan of the old Mclaren CanAm's you're sure to have seen this site, but I'll put a link to it anyway. Click here for a bit of nostalgia!
Old 25 Jan 2006, 13:53 (Ref:1508833)   #22
Fogelhund
Veteran

Canada
Binbrook, ON Canada
Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by isynge
Bizarrely the front end of the Lolas is one of the things I find most appealing about the cars. It's reminiscent of a McLaren CanAm car and to my eyes has loads of retro chic.
Save the rear wing, the overall shape kind of reminds me of a Shadow DN4. Particularly given each is in black.
Old 25 Jan 2006, 16:27 (Ref:1508913)   #23
jhansen
Veteran

United States
California
jhansen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridjhansen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridjhansen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
The Lola's look almost the same ,which is criminal in my opinion cuz they are a differant class so should look differant !
But good for Lola. This allows a small company to produce competitive cars for both categories and be able to carrry over various parts and have continuity. No different than what Courage has done either. It's a good feature of the rules IMO.
Old 25 Jan 2006, 17:18 (Ref:1508946)   #24
FIRE
Race Official
Veteran

Netherlands
FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!
IMO nothing wrong with current LMP1/LMP2 cars except the double roll bar. Please Mr ACO can we have the single one back?
Old 25 Jan 2006, 17:32 (Ref:1508955)   #25
jhansen
Veteran

United States
California
If you like a single roll-hoop you can always watch Formula 1...