Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Motorsport History

Old 3 May 2006, 11:28 (Ref:1599978)   #1
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
Duqueine VG4 F3 Chassis

Having peered through the prov entry list for the FIA GT3 event at Silverstone, I noticed a driver's name down to share a Viper with Anthony Reid whom I hadn't seen or heard or racing for some time.

Frenchman, Gilles Duqueine was a French F3 front runner in the early mid-80'S and along with brother Dominique decided to try and beat the then dominant Ralt marque at their own game by designing their own F3 chassis.

Form memory it was called the VG4 and was based on a defunct car called the Barron (which Dutchman John Bosch had something to do with)

Anyone else have any info and memories of the brothers and their car?
Old 3 May 2006, 16:11 (Ref:1600144)   #2
Marcus Mussa
Veteran

United Kingdom
Monaco
Marcus Mussa should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMarcus Mussa should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by chunterer
Having peered through the prov entry list for the FIA GT3 event at Silverstone, I noticed a driver's name down to share a Viper with Anthony Reid whom I hadn't seen or heard or racing for some time.

Frenchman, Gilles Duqueine was a French F3 front runner in the early mid-80'S and along with brother Dominique decided to try and beat the then dominant Ralt marque at their own game by designing their own F3 chassis.

Form memory it was called the VG4 and was based on a defunct car called the Barron (which Dutchman John Bosch had something to do with)

Anyone else have any info and memories of the brothers and their car?
He had a bad crash in F3 and broke his back. I do not remember the exact details but I am sure you can check. He has raced quite a bit in French Production cars since then, with some success, despite being paralyzed from the waist down.
Old 4 May 2006, 08:47 (Ref:1600497)   #3
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
Blimey, I hadn't realised that, thanks Marcus for that.

I confess that I don't know that much about our own domestic series let alone continental national club level championships.

There was quite a fuss about the VG4 when it was introduced in '85, quite an attractive chassis by all accounts.
Old 4 May 2006, 13:02 (Ref:1600652)   #4
Chofar
Racer

Chofar should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Gilles Duqueine broke his back in a road accident while driving a Renault 5 Turbo (the mid-engined one).
That wasn't an easy car to drive and many other drivers got caught by this little devil of a car.
IIRC Philippe Gache also drove the car in France. Lack of money permitted only a few good performances, despite Ford France being one of the sponsors (with a VW engine, I believe...)
Old 4 May 2006, 15:40 (Ref:1600720)   #5
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

Might not have the type number of the chassis correct?

Possibly was dubbed GD3 OR VG3?
Old 4 May 2006, 17:07 (Ref:1600769)   #6
Alan Morgan
Veteran

Alan Morgan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Have you checked out this site?

http://www.f3history.co.uk/

Click on "Manufacturers" and select "Duqueine"

Be prepared to spend some time browsing - the manufacturers section alone is a real treasure trove!
Old 5 May 2006, 08:05 (Ref:1601080)   #7
davemorganfan
Racer

davemorganfan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Morgan
Have you checked out this site?

http://www.f3history.co.uk/

Click on "Manufacturers" and select "Duqueine"

Be prepared to spend some time browsing - the manufacturers section alone is a real treasure trove!
Agreed. I can't recommend this site highly enough, it's a kind of Mecca for F3 nuts like me.
Old 5 May 2006, 08:19 (Ref:1601087)   #8
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

Thanks for the link, i will check it out!!