Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Baltic Touring Car Championship Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Touring Car Racing

Old 7 Jun 2006, 18:30 (Ref:1629425)   #1
Paddockman
Racer

England
Hampshire UK
Paddockman should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Steve Neal bills Collard!

Reported in Motorsport News today that Steve Neal has sent Rob Collard a bill for 25 thousand pounds for payment against the damage to Matt Neals car from the race 3 shunt at Brands.

Just who does this bloke think he is!! billing and threatning legal action against another team in respect of a racing incident!

This is very dangerous ground for motorsport as a whole I just hope he is only winding us all up because if he is not I think he should fully consider the ramifications of such action

PATHETIC!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 7 Jun 2006, 18:38 (Ref:1629427)   #2
rdjones
Take That Fan
Veteran

England
Leeds, Yorkshire
rdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Its just pathetic, it was a racing incident end off.
Old 7 Jun 2006, 19:47 (Ref:1629465)   #3
Upside Down Bug
Veteran

England
Kent
Upside Down Bug should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think the problem is that the formal decision at the end for Collard was guilty of 'careless' driving. But, if this is more than just a publicity stunt because of the amount of contact in BTCC, then it could open the way for a considerable amount of litigation for any on track incident. Big pressure would then be applied to clerks and stewards to aportion blame on every incident. This with the knowledge that the 'offender' may face further action outside of the MSA. And if it filtered down to the club racing enviroment; who would wish to race if they could face bills for damage caused to other cars.

I sincerely hope that the bill goes unpaid, and not enforced!!!!
Old 7 Jun 2006, 20:22 (Ref:1629483)   #4
Tim Wilkinson
Veteran

England
Essex
Tim Wilkinson should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
MN also reports that Neal has possession of a transporter owned by Collard and rented to Neal at the start of the season, and is keeping it as collateral until the bill is paid.
Old 7 Jun 2006, 20:48 (Ref:1629499)   #5
Craig
Race Official
Veteran

Denmark
Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!
And I used to wonder where Matt Neal got the whingey, whiney attitude from... in the past few years it's become increasingly obvious. Sorry, Steve, but you really are tiresome.
Old 7 Jun 2006, 20:57 (Ref:1629509)   #6
touringlegend
Race Official
Veteran

Panama
touringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtouringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtouringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Maybe SEAT should bill Shedden for damage to Turner's car ?

Oh, that would be pathetic wouldn't it ?

The whinging about the accident at the time was one thing, but this... The WTCC's welcome to them!
Old 7 Jun 2006, 21:09 (Ref:1629524)   #7
Hazard
Veteran

United Kingdom
United Kingdom
Hazard should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridHazard should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridHazard should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Yep, if Collard is found liable for this, then Anthony Reid should flee the country before his postman gets there
Old 7 Jun 2006, 21:15 (Ref:1629527)   #8
Craig
Race Official
Veteran

Denmark
Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!
Maybe everyone should get in on the act. I'm sure the Neal clan would end up owing rather more than they make out of the scheme.
Old 7 Jun 2006, 21:48 (Ref:1629555)   #9
redshoes
Veteran

redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by teej
MN also reports that Neal has possession of a transporter owned by Collard and rented to Neal at the start of the season, and is keeping it as collateral until the bill is paid.
Which is don't believe is actually legal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by touringlegend
Maybe SEAT should bill Shedden for damage to Turner's car ?
Or Vauxhall for the 3 Astras damaged at the first corner at Mondello. As I recall Shedden was given a slap on the wrist from the CoC for that one as well.

You can blame the World Cup for this one. We've got no BTCC for the next month so MN will be desperate for any half story to fill their pages.
Old 7 Jun 2006, 22:26 (Ref:1629570)   #10
davyboy
Veteran

davyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Steve Neal has been around a long time and he of all people should understand what motorSPORT is all about. Dynamics are on the crest of a wave at the moment and have won admiration from much of the paddock and BTCC fans for their determination to reach the top as privateers and their engineering prowess. They need to respect their position and act responsibly. This childish behaviour can only do them harm.
Old 8 Jun 2006, 06:17 (Ref:1629700)   #11
newoutsider
Racer

newoutsider should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think there is a case for charging Steve Neal with bringing the sport into disrepute. I personally know of a case several years ago where a cowboy entrant was banned by the MSA from ever entering a team again - although he was able to carry on racing as himself.
Old 8 Jun 2006, 06:27 (Ref:1629702)   #12
Cynic
Veteran

England
Somwhere Near Reading.UK
Cynic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Ever since they started running the Civic's, I've been hearing rumuors that Steve Neal is getting too big for his boots, but this is just ridiculous. Even if it is just a publicity stunt it's a pathetic one, and personally I think either Alan Gow or the MSA need to step in and tell him to grow up. It'll also be interesting to see how Colard responds as I'm sure he could counter-sue Neal for the theft of a transporter...
Old 8 Jun 2006, 06:49 (Ref:1629714)   #13
andy97
Veteran

United Kingdom
Castle Donington
andy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridandy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Can I suggest that this is moved to the "Racers Forum" - it is something that has the potential to affect everyone.

This is a really worrying development for the whole of motorsport - if this came off a legal precedent would likely to have been set. Would anyone race if there was a threat that a "racing incident" would lead to legal action, who arbitrates on "fault", are the observers and CofC capable and prepared to judge incidents that may lead to legal demands for compensation?

The sport would become mired in controversy and legal acrimony - only solicitors would benefit. We would probably all need to take out accident liability insurance and to be frank, that would probably mean that I, and many others, could not afford to race.
Old 8 Jun 2006, 07:21 (Ref:1629731)   #14
Hazard
Veteran

United Kingdom
United Kingdom
Hazard should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridHazard should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridHazard should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by andy97
Can I suggest that this is moved to the "Racers Forum" - it is something that has the potential to affect everyone.
Good idea, but I think it would be best to await confirmation outside of just the Motorsports News article first - to make sure we're not just blowing out of proportion something that may not even be happening or has been relayed out of context.
Old 8 Jun 2006, 07:40 (Ref:1629739)   #15
redshoes
Veteran

redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by andy97
Probably best if you start a new thread there to discuss the legal ramifications and effect on competitors in general. Leave this one here so us BTCC fans can discuss the effect on the series.
Old 8 Jun 2006, 08:23 (Ref:1629757)   #16
ss_collins
Veteran

Nigeria
Mooresville, NC
ss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
MN is usually a pretty good source - but I think this may be a bit of Gow showboating. If its for real its a very bad thing indeed...
Old 8 Jun 2006, 09:52 (Ref:1629825)   #17
touring fan01
Veteran

touring fan01 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridtouring fan01 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridtouring fan01 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
"but I think this may be a bit of Gow showboating"
I think you meant Neal, not Gow.

Looks like Steve Neal has scored a massive own-goal.

Last edited by touring fan01; 8 Jun 2006 at 09:57.
Old 8 Jun 2006, 10:09 (Ref:1629838)   #18
ss_collins
Veteran

Nigeria
Mooresville, NC
ss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
no I meant Gow
Old 8 Jun 2006, 10:16 (Ref:1629846)   #19
johngee
#WhatAreHashTags
Veteran

johngee has a real shot at the podium!johngee has a real shot at the podium!johngee has a real shot at the podium!johngee has a real shot at the podium!
If true, this sets a very dangerous precedent and could affect people such as myself, who could then be dragged into civil proceedings to justify their decisions and penalties.
Old 8 Jun 2006, 10:33 (Ref:1629859)   #20
touring fan01
Veteran

touring fan01 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridtouring fan01 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridtouring fan01 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by ss_collins
no I meant Gow
Huh?
That's just ridiculous.
Why on earth would he want to be behind a negative, dangerous and stupid issue like that. He would be doing the exact opposite.

Last edited by touring fan01; 8 Jun 2006 at 10:39.
Old 8 Jun 2006, 11:33 (Ref:1629895)   #21
davyboy
Veteran

davyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Its very unlikely that a plaintiff suing over an issue like this would succeed in a court of law. The consequences of what happens on a motor racing circuit can only ever be put down to 'misadventure'. Many people have been seriously injured and killed over the years on UK circuits I'm not aware of a situation where blame has been successfully apportioned.

However if Steve did manage to succeed, and fault was apportioned as a result of 'dangerous driving' which is a public road traffic offence... then motorsport would need to cease altogether as in the event somebody was injured or killed, those involved in the incident could be held responsible for manslaughter or even murder... even the marshalls and even organizers could be criminally culpable.

As I said at the beginning, its unlikely he'll succeed in doing anything other than making enemies.
Old 8 Jun 2006, 11:52 (Ref:1629906)   #22
GarrettMacD
Rookie

Ireland
Lovely (?) Leicester
GarrettMacD should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by touring fan01
Why on earth would he want to be behind a negative, dangerous and stupid issue like that.

Publicity???

Let's face it. BTCC crowds are down massively on the heydays of (IMO) 1994 - 2000. The racing's rubbish, the cars look like they were drawn by an 8-year-old apprenctice at Halfords.

The only thing that can raise the profile of the series is a bit of 'needle' between the drivers. Plato Vs Muller, Menu Vs Reid, Harvey/Soper Vs Cleland, that sort of thing.

It's the publicity he's after. Obviously been taking tips from a Mr B Ecclestone...
Old 8 Jun 2006, 12:11 (Ref:1629920)   #23
touring fan01
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by GarrettMacD
Publicity???

Let's face it. BTCC crowds are down massively on the heydays of (IMO) 1994 - 2000. The racing's rubbish, the cars look like they were drawn by an 8-year-old apprenctice at Halfords.

The only thing that can raise the profile of the series is a bit of 'needle' between the drivers. Plato Vs Muller, Menu Vs Reid, Harvey/Soper Vs Cleland, that sort of thing.

It's the publicity he's after. Obviously been taking tips from a Mr B Ecclestone...
Yeah and I suppose Elvis is still living in Hawaii and the moon landing was filmed in a studio in Nevada, too?

Sorry but you are just talking another laughable conspiracy theory.
Get real.

BTW; If the BTCC is so rubbish then why do you even bother watching it, following it or commenting on it?

Last edited by touring fan01; 8 Jun 2006 at 12:16.
Old 8 Jun 2006, 12:16 (Ref:1629922)   #24
johngee
#WhatAreHashTags
Veteran

johngee has a real shot at the podium!johngee has a real shot at the podium!johngee has a real shot at the podium!johngee has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by davyboy
Its very unlikely that a plaintiff suing over an issue like this would succeed in a court of law. The consequences of what happens on a motor racing circuit can only ever be put down to 'misadventure'. Many people have been seriously injured and killed over the years on UK circuits I'm not aware of a situation where blame has been successfully apportioned.
There was a case a few years ago where a driver who was injured by running off the circuit and hitting another car that had been 'left' in a gravel trap from an incident some laps before, succesfully sued the organising club. It may have been settled 'out of court' but it revolved around the 'negligence' of the organisers in leaving the first car in the gravel trap.
As a result we are all now much more 'risk averse' in these situations - hence more red flags and safety cars!
Old 8 Jun 2006, 12:51 (Ref:1629935)   #25
redshoes
Veteran

From my dim and distant school classes I remember a reference to something similar involving a rugby player being hurt during a game. The ruling was something to the effect that if he had been hurt during the course of the game he was deemed to have accepted the risk, however if the injury was as a result of something outside the rules of the game (being punched/beated by another player) then he had a case to claim damages for assult.

You could argue that Collard was acting outside the rules, based on opinion and actions of both the CoC and MSA, so would have a case to answer. In practice it's all a load of hot air and will (hopefilly) never come to anything.

Even if it is all PR bluff my worry here is that it will give drivers in other series ideas. How long before we see a court case for such as this for real. Sounds far fetched but a few years ago we would have said the same about the example John gave.

Quote:
Originally Posted by touring fan01
Sorry but you are just talking another laughable conspiracy theory.
What's so laughable about a series organiser trying to drum up some publicity? No different to the Muller vs Reid spat a couple of years back - Reid doing PR pictures dressed in boxing gloves. Look at the news stories on the BTCC website. Do you think drivers actually go on rollercoaters and stream trains dressed in race suits for fun?