Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Barn Finds > ChampCar World Series

Old 6 May 2000, 09:12 (Ref:5899)   #1
Green_man4421
Racer

Canada
Quebec, Canada
Green_man4421 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Okay from the topic line you will see the words Bring together and Merge CART and F1 to very diffrent things. I will explain the bring together part but Just show all the bad things about the Merge part because that is a stupid Idea I think and I am wondering if anyone thinks diffrently.

First of all Merge. Two great independant diffrent series could be brought together to form one increadibly great one. They are already both great, Many people would lose jobs and work. Would it just be a takeover by F1 or CART (okay I am biased towards F1 and CART taking over F1 is just a joke to me Sorry CART FANZ)

I think this decsion would be of great disadvantage to one (CART) side and also a similar but not as great dissadvantage to the other and could be turned positive for them. (F1) Don't ever let F1 take over CART CART rules to except for a few saftey aspects.

Next point BRINGING TOGETHER. A good thing for both sides if done right the two series could work as equals with each other not one supporting the other but as equals.

They can still both run seperate races/events. A mojority would be like this. Say for the IndyF1 race they could both run a race each Fans would be happy support each other it would be good positive It would help to bring CART fans to F1 and help to Bring F1 into the states with the help of CART (F1 needs some help to get a fan base in the states)

F1 drivers and CART drivers could hang with each other more and drivers between the two series could swap more. A driver could sub in CART one week F1 the next alot more than they do now.

Teams in both classes.

This would be good for CART in Europe and good for F1 in the States they both need help in these two places.

Also F1 drivers could be asked/invited to compeate in special (eg Hawai planed style) CART races. And CART drivers into F1 races giving alot of media attention, it would be good for both series and a postitive move for motorsport.

The Merger idea is crazy but these two series can work together for the good of world wide motorsport. Both forms could be more popular world wide meaning better coverage for all FANZ.

I see the move as a positive, a good thing to happen. Reasons it won't is pride maybe between series, Money (somehow not Sure though sponser conflicts or something Money interfears with alot of plans)

Why not it would be good.

Motorsports Enemyies are all other sports.

CARTs enimies are IRL and NASCAR

F1's emenyies are NASCAR (to get popular in the states) touring cars (well it dosn't have many enimies really in europe at least.

An Enemy of an Enemy is a friend not an enemy so why don't CARt and F1 act like it.

Working together would be a positive move for both sides.

Old 6 May 2000, 17:16 (Ref:5900)   #2
Heeltoe6
Veteran

Heeltoe6 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
F1 views CART as an enemy becuase CART offers F1 style road racing but with more passes and more teams which are able to win each week. Also, it is very doubtful anyone associated with F1 would lower themselves to cavort with CART.

As for the CART side, F1 is definetly an enemy sicne they are responsible for the idiotuic ban on running road courses outside North America (Surfers' being grandfarthered)
Old 6 May 2000, 18:05 (Ref:5901)   #3
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!

don't even think about it. cart and f1 are about completely different things.
Old 6 May 2000, 21:58 (Ref:5902)   #4
Crash Test
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne, Australia
Crash Test should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridCrash Test should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
While we are at it we can merge the USA with Russia, and Mircosoft with Apple...
Old 6 May 2000, 23:09 (Ref:5903)   #5
Jay
Veteran

United Nations
Canada
Jay should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Yes, and why don't we also merge the National Hockey League with the American Hockey League.

Or we could try Major League Baseball with AAA baseball.

Next we could merge F1 with F3000.

oh yes it all makes sense.
Old 6 May 2000, 23:22 (Ref:5904)   #6
Dannyboy
Rookie

Dannyboy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Personally I'd be more interested in bringing the best drivers to the great venues. Indy, Le Mans etc. These events deserve the presence of the great drivers from all series from both sides of the Atlantic. Such events would really put motorsport on the map especially in North America where Crasscar racing rules.
Old 7 May 2000, 02:21 (Ref:5905)   #7
Liz
Veteran

Liz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridLiz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Gentlemen racing in many different classes: They did that in the olden days when racing was a sport for gentlemen. Now it is a megabillion business of Bernie, by Bernie and for Bernie, world without end, amen. The teams would not allow their Hot Properties to risk their lives ($$$) in a non-team-related car (remember Jim Clark?) and the insurance companies would not like it either.

Perhaps CART boys would like to race the occasional tintop series if their teams would allow it, but I can't see Bernie Inc. allowing any such thing without substantial bribes, er, fees, being paid to him, er, the FIA...

It'd be fun but it could not be done. Too badl.

Old 8 May 2000, 08:30 (Ref:5906)   #8
floid2000
Racer

floid2000 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
NO ! NO ! NO ! We don't need the likes of Bernie in America. Cart is run by racers and thats the way we like it over here. Maybe someday the irl and CART will kiss and make up BUT, Leave F-1 out of it.
Next thing you know we wouldn't have any more ovals on the circuit. NO ! NO ! NO ! NO ! NO !
Old 8 May 2000, 16:48 (Ref:5907)   #9
slicktoast
Veteran

slicktoast should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

The support for this kind of merger doesn't much exist. If it ever did happen, we wouldn't be happy with the results. Sorry pal.
Old 9 May 2000, 09:30 (Ref:5908)   #10
Green_man4421
Racer

Canada
Quebec, Canada
SO you don't like F1 just as much as CART? don't see they both have storg and Weak points. I guess all Motorsport Fans don't apprrechiate both top levels of open whellerz like me.

It is a pity. If it could happen it could work.
Old 9 May 2000, 12:50 (Ref:5909)   #11
Regs
Rookie

Regs should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Actually, Bernie could do a hostile take over of CART buy simple doing a stock buy up. CART is publicly traded (NYSE-MPH, I think). So he could buy in. Then start a buying binge that drives the price up, people start selling and he keeps buying. This way he can gain a significant interest in the company. Then what you do is offer the remaining shareholders a high value for thier shares, in essence, buy out the company. Since there are other racing series' in the US CART's being bought out would not be considered a monopolistic move. And forign ownership of a racing series is not the same thing as ownership of a media resource. (Though Rupert Murdoch found a way around this) So there probably would be no problems there. In this case money would win out against principle and that would be that.
Old 9 May 2000, 14:20 (Ref:5910)   #12
KC
Veteran

United States
Tulsa, Oklahoma, USA
KC should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKC should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Brett I think you would be surprised to find how many American fans there are of F1. A large portion of the problem F1 has in America comes from within the FIA. Bernie does not allow any race footage to be used of F1 for the news in America unless it is paid for. Why should a network in America pay Bernie to report his news? Along with TG having to create an FIA spec circuit, he has to pay all of the upfront money and gets to make no money on the race itself other than on ticket sales. He gets no TV money and no entry fee money. That is not how most forms of racing in America go about doing business. Bernie does not even pay for any TV advertisements, that is for the track owner and promoter to do. Now you see why F1 has failed in the US so miserably. It is a take and no give situation for a track owner. Every GP ever held in the US has been a major monetary loss for the promoter. There won't be any race footage on the major network news of the USGP because they won't pay any TV rights just to report who won. No other sport in the US requires a licensing agreement to report the news. Without this type of mainstream news support, the only ones who know what happened are the fans. The casual observer is not in the loop. Already, it is reported that there have been more tickets sold for the USGP than any other GP in history, anywhere. They are currently hustling to construct more seating. I know a portion of the tickets are being purchased by visitors to America, but I doubt it amounts to a large percentage.

As far as CART and F1 merging, it will never happen. No one could ever find common ground for the two to coexist. I think that equipment wise, CART has the better formula as it promotes side by side racing while F1 undoubtedly has a higher level of talented drivers. If you could place every CART and F1 driver in CART machines and race at the famous venues that dot the F1 landscape as well as some of the CART circuits you could produce the best form of racing in the world. But who would be in control? Bernie? A board of franchise holders? There is no way to make it happen.

[This message has been edited by KC (edited 09 May 2000).]
Old 10 May 2000, 08:00 (Ref:5911)   #13
Green_man4421
Racer

Canada
Quebec, Canada
IT was still a nice dream, So it is basically because Bernie has messed up ideas and is more profit orientated in a diffrent way that it would never work out.
And their are many other reasons.
Old 11 May 2000, 00:34 (Ref:5912)   #14
jms
Rookie

jms should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Besides the awfullness of Bernie, there really is no reason to join them. This world is becoming too standardized anyway, at least here in the U.S. They are two unique things and I'm glad nobody wants them joined. Much would be lost. Probably from CART.
Old 19 May 2000, 06:32 (Ref:5913)   #15
floid2000
Racer

floid2000 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Dont get me wrong Ive seen some great F1 races. for example.....I saw all 3 passes last season........