Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Baltic Touring Car Championship Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Touring Car Racing

View Poll Results: the next big touring car racer
max chilton(Tcars) 4 13.33%
daniel laddiman(Tcars) 4 13.33%
oliver webb(Tcars) 0 0%
luciano bachetta(Tcars) 1 3.33%
tom onslow cole(renault clio cup) 16 53.33%
paul rivett(renault clio cup) 5 16.67%
daniel brown(Tcars) 0 0%
jade edwards(junior ginettas) 3 10.00%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 30. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 24 Aug 2006, 15:05 (Ref:1690754)   #1
dj choc ice
Veteran

United Kingdom
Liverpool
dj choc ice should be qualifying in the top 10 on the griddj choc ice should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The next big BTCC driver

heya people,

well at the moment and after going to oulton park on the 29th of july to watch the Tcars (was damn good fun apart from the rain at clay hill lol) the Tcars guys were darn good specially luciano bachetta and max chilton,

so this leaves us with a question who will be the next big racing driver in BTCC, WTCC or DTM the choice is yours who will it be also a few guys from clio cup as well and leons
Old 24 Aug 2006, 15:21 (Ref:1690760)   #2
Alfa Fan
Veteran

Alfa Fan has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Max Chilton. Simple reason. Has money.
Old 24 Aug 2006, 15:28 (Ref:1690766)   #3
dj choc ice
Veteran

United Kingdom
Liverpool
dj choc ice should be qualifying in the top 10 on the griddj choc ice should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
max has the money but also has the talent he will go far jade edwards dad is jim edwards who raced in the BTCC and is a good driver so jade has more potentiol in my eyes than all the guys, tom onslow cole is already proving to have BTCC pace and probably capable of winning BTCC methinks daniel laddiman was quick at oulton as well so he should go far as well
Old 24 Aug 2006, 15:28 (Ref:1690767)   #4
FIRE
Race Official
Veteran

Netherlands
FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!
Never heard of these drivers.

I choose Ryan Sharp (I admit he is already racing at the highest level, but his results are very promising for a tintop rookie)

Last edited by FIRE; 24 Aug 2006 at 15:32.
Old 24 Aug 2006, 16:22 (Ref:1690810)   #5
Alfa Fan
Veteran

Alfa Fan has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Tom Chilton did a good job straight from T-Cars to the BTCC.
Old 24 Aug 2006, 16:31 (Ref:1690817)   #6
newoutsider
Racer

newoutsider should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
None of the above
Old 24 Aug 2006, 16:56 (Ref:1690838)   #7
redshoes
Veteran

redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfa Fan
Tom Chilton did a good job straight from T-Cars to the BTCC.
I still maintain he would have done a better job if he'd done a year or two in Clios where he could learn some racecraft. He's got better this year but previously he would get behind the wheel, drive the nuts off the car then wonder why he had no tyres left.
Old 25 Aug 2006, 08:01 (Ref:1691236)   #8
JohnMiller
Veteran

JohnMiller should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridJohnMiller should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
None of the above.

Some might do well, but why 'next?'
Old 25 Aug 2006, 08:37 (Ref:1691260)   #9
R59
Veteran

Heard and McDonald Islands
Bedfordshire
R59 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridR59 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
John, I'd like to see the boy Playle in a touring car. I think he'd wake em' up!

Rookie training next friday allegedly!
Old 25 Aug 2006, 10:57 (Ref:1691349)   #10
Doc Hollywood
Racer

Ireland
Dublin, Ireland
Doc Hollywood should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDoc Hollywood should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDoc Hollywood should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Jonathan Fildes, all of the talent, none of the budget.

Won the 04 clio cup 3rd in 04 porker cup uk and ended up back in Ireland racing Dunlop supercars in 05, won 15 rounds of a 15 round championship. Now he's back in the uk in a Cupra. Whens the guy going to get a break!?
Old 25 Aug 2006, 12:16 (Ref:1691406)   #11
kipper
Veteran

England
Leics
kipper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridkipper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'd agree that if Jonathan Fildes could ever get himself into a touring car, then he would soon become one of the top drivers. Also iI believe that Tom Onslow-Cole and Paul Rivett deserve an opportunity in a BTCC car, whilst a return for Tom Boardman would be good. I also wouldn't be surprised if Andrew Jordan were to have to stint in touring cars.

Of those in the underage categories, then as mentioned above Max Chilton has the required contacts to make the leap if he so desires. Also, Liam McMillan in SAXMAX seems to be rather impressive.
Old 26 Aug 2006, 19:38 (Ref:1692996)   #12
boycie
Racer

boycie has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by dj choc ice
jade edwards dad is jim edwards who raced in the BTCC and is a good driver so jade has more potentiol in my eyes than all the guys
how can you say that???

what does jim edwards' ability have to do with whether or not his daughter will be the "next big touring car driver"?
Old 26 Aug 2006, 20:44 (Ref:1693044)   #13
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
There's definitely a genetic element to ability, especially for a (relatively) narrow area of ability such as motor racing. On top of that, Jim Edwards will know the right people to get her a chance.

The guys near the front in the Cupras would rank above most of the names on this poll though. Jackson, Adam, Fildes, Winrow and Mussi could all do the job in BTCC immediately. Guys in TCars are unlikely to get it right immediately, if at all.
Old 26 Aug 2006, 22:12 (Ref:1693130)   #14
dj choc ice
Veteran

United Kingdom
Liverpool
hehe i know im just not very good with the leon championship i dont know any of the drivers lol
Old 27 Aug 2006, 10:47 (Ref:1693447)   #15
racingdad
Veteran

racingdad has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Tom Boardman and Oli Wilkinson have more proven ability than any of the drivers named - both have beaten the likes of Sheddon & Gavin Smith in the past and Oli also has one up on "new sensation" Eoin Murray. But as with most things, money talks louder than results, so I would expect to see some of the kids named here to make it before either of my choices.
Old 27 Aug 2006, 20:19 (Ref:1694105)   #16
touringlegend
Race Official
Veteran

Panama
touringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtouringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtouringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I was just about to say that racingdad - there is a wealth of under funded talent at the very point of breaking into touring cars.
Old 30 Aug 2006, 13:29 (Ref:1697593)   #17
dj choc ice
Veteran

United Kingdom
Liverpool
there is touringlegend, lots of people who have easily got the talent to be fighting at the front of the BTCC field but unfortunately money talks a lot louder than it did about 5 to 10 years ago i really want the 1998, 1999 BTCC days back remember those volvo S40's and the mondeo ST220 BTCC V6 racers there was so much more variety and the racing was some how better since everyone's car was even but now the seat leons and the honda integras and MG ZS seem to have the legs over everything else the vauxhalls have that tyre problem which means even though they are quick at the start of the race they just can not keep that pace through the rest of the race.

personally i cant wait to see some of the guys and gals from junior championships if tom onslow cole was in the BTCC as well as paul rivett we would have some great racing as long as people dont make dumbass moves which leads to a BTCC race turning into a banger race
Old 31 Aug 2006, 18:02 (Ref:1698689)   #18
Les
Veteran

Kenya
Suffolk,UK
Les should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I am afraid that money and presentability counts more than ability and personality
Old 1 Sep 2006, 21:03 (Ref:1699558)   #19
dj choc ice
Veteran

United Kingdom
Liverpool
unfortunately thats too true nowadays and there is that thing of big manufacturers buying all the other manugacturers meaning we lose a lot of big works teams, example is that ford bought volvo and mazda and renault own nissan so we will never go back to the old days of

renault,v,nissan
ford,v,volvo

and the fact that there are hardly any pro drivers now makes things even worse in a way
Old 29 Sep 2006, 10:29 (Ref:1722819)   #20
Tuscan 6
Racer

England
Tuscan 6 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
By the way - why does the poll have such a proliferation of incredibly young drivers.

My vote is for the likes of Mike Jordan or Chris Stockton. A bit more funding and experience in the series coupled with the right car...
Old 3 Oct 2006, 19:15 (Ref:1726842)   #21
dj choc ice
Veteran

United Kingdom
Liverpool
isnt mike jordan alreasy in the BTCC and albeit with a good car and already a race win and podium finished to his name or is it just me lol
Old 3 Oct 2006, 19:49 (Ref:1726887)   #22
Dani Filth
Veteran

Romania
Bucharest
Dani Filth should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDani Filth should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDani Filth should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
the next big(welll .. will get bigger) BTCC driver .. . Fabrizio Giovanardi

Ciao Marco
Old 3 Oct 2006, 20:38 (Ref:1726934)   #23
Tim Wilkinson
Veteran

England
Essex
Tim Wilkinson should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by dj choc ice
isnt mike jordan alreasy in the BTCC and albeit with a good car and already a race win and podium finished to his name or is it just me lol
I'm not sure it is you with a BTCC race win and podium, no.

Point being that Mike has been in BTCC for less than a season (away from his recent racing background), and has already had good results in a year old car. There's plenty other midfield drivers who've also shown potential - Eoin Murray and Chris Stockton, for example. So why does the poll assume that the status quo will remain at the head of BTCC for a few years until a young hot-shoe turns up to be the next big thing? Plato and Neal weren't overnight successes, there's bound to be several other drivers consistently challenging for wins and titles before a current Ginetta or T-Car driver graduates to that level.

The only real option on that poll for the question it poses "Who will be the NEXT big BTCC driver?" is Onslow-Cole (iirc he's already got a drive lined up). Perhaps with the options given the thread title should be "Who has the best chance of becoming a big-name BTCC driver"?

[/nit-picking]
Old 6 Oct 2006, 13:47 (Ref:1729978)   #24
Andy Metcalf
Racer

England
Kings Lynn, Norfolk UK
Andy Metcalf should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
the proof will be on track, but I feel will more likely one of the Clio drivers

"Tomorrow, is what you make it"
Old 6 Oct 2006, 15:41 (Ref:1730046)   #25
touringlegend
Race Official
Veteran

Panama
touringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtouringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtouringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I see Tom Onslow Cole is selling his Clio so we'd assume he's moving series, or buying a new Clio.
Closed Thread