Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Other Motorsports > Bike Racing

Old 22 Apr 2001, 02:20 (Ref:83355)   #1
ChrisUSA
Rookie

ChrisUSA should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

just relishing this final grand prix season before the big rules change and wanted to post a message about my beloved 2strokes. let me list a number of reason's why i believe the modern 2stroke to be a superior engine:

Piston For Piston:
Way more horsepower
Much lighter
Much less expensive
Amazing sound
Amazing smell
Equally reliable
Way easier to work on
Way less expensive to work on
Did i mention way more horsepower?

Imagine a world of only 4stroke engines. A guy goes into an engine manufacturing plant, goes up to the lead engineer and says "what would you say if i told you i can build you an engine with 70% less parts, 40% smaller in size and 50% more powerful? "Impossible" says the engineer.
This basically sums up my feelings for the 2stroke. The greatest mechanical invention ever.

So why isn't the world beating a path towards the 2stroke door? EMISSIONS. Dirty exhaust and plenty of it. and the world has determined that dirty emissions outweigh all its benefits.

Direct-Injection has eliminated the "dirty exhaust and plenty of it" factor, but has added cost and complexity. Who cares?! Get it into production, i'll buy it

Last edited by ChrisUSA; 22 Apr 2001 at 02:22.
Old 22 Apr 2001, 02:46 (Ref:83360)   #2
Wolf
Rookie

Wolf should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Not to mention valves. My fav kind- rotary. And plenty to choose from- plain, Cross, Aspin... And none of them are so common and lowly as to actually protrude into cylinder.
And I must have a pint of racing castor oil, in the back of my garage. Burn that with gasoline and 'tis the best scent I have ever smelled.

BTW, pardon my relatively poor English, but what does 'piston for piston' mean?

And I think emission problem has not been adressed (and dealt with) with sufficient care.
Old 23 Apr 2001, 00:52 (Ref:83850)   #3
ChrisUSA
Rookie

ChrisUSA should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
let me clarify

piston for piston, i meant it like saying "pound for pound", although if i used pound for pound i wouldn't have been able to say "lighter weight"
Old 23 Apr 2001, 22:52 (Ref:84177)   #4
chunder
Veteran

England
Stevenage
chunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Agree with you guys and it is a fact that the two stroke enginedesign is far more efficient than four strokes.
Onlt reason it hasn't taken off I guess is the tooling costs for big manufacturers and the emissions problems, though it has been proved that a stroker can be made more efficient than a diesel as Honda did a few years ago.
EFI would also help, dufficult to map for a stoker though as so few moving parts and gases mixed all the time.