Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > NASCAR & Stock Car Racing

Old 31 Aug 2006, 23:47 (Ref:1698908)   #1
VilleneuveTracy
Veteran

United States
New Jersey
VilleneuveTracy should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridVilleneuveTracy should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Villeneuve nearly signed?

Quote:
Jacques Villeneuve is edging closer to a deal with a Nascar team, according to an Italian sports newspaper.

'La Gazzetta dello Sport' is reporting this week that the French Canadian, whose BMW tenure and formula one career abruptly ended after the German GP last month, is now in talks with a team in the highly-popular American stock car series.

If confirmed for 2007, the news would make 35-year-old Villeneuve - world champion of 1997 - the second former formula one winner to switch to Nascar this year, after Juan Pablo Montoya announced his shock move in early July.
http://www.paddocktalk.com/news/html...icle&sid=40362

3 Heinz-Harald Frentzen Williams-Renault 42 (1 win, 1 pole)

Anyone could have won in the 97' Williams...
Old 1 Sep 2006, 11:38 (Ref:1699227)   #2
rustyfan
Veteran

Sweden
rustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
While I hope it's true, I also hope the team in question is one of the better ones, rather than one of the smaller ones with questionable budget (which unfortunately is all too often where "outsiders" decide to go just to get a foot in the door).
Old 1 Sep 2006, 14:04 (Ref:1699300)   #3
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
JV going to Nascar you say. well it definatly seems this story is gathering some steam.

so if he does make the switch, what can we expect? will he be racing in the series right away?, what kind of licence will he require?, will he have to work his way up in order to compete at Nascar's top level? etc.

forgive the ignorance of my questions, im just an F1 fan and honestly don't know so much about this series other than its on tv alot
Old 1 Sep 2006, 15:04 (Ref:1699326)   #4
kingfloopy
Veteran

United States
Iowa, USA
kingfloopy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
From what I've seen its a Busch series deal which is the 2nd tier series just below Cup (where JPM is running). He should be able to start out pretty much right away. NASCAR may require some testing to see how he handles the car. And if he is available chances are he will run a race or two before the end of this season, there are a few races after F1 ends there season. I expect to see him running in those races. I'm not sure which team it is, but if I was to guess at his salary demands it would almost have to be one of the bigger and more successful teams.

J.D.
Old 1 Sep 2006, 15:08 (Ref:1699330)   #5
kingfloopy
Veteran

United States
Iowa, USA
Here's a link with some more news and rumours:
http://www.jayski.com/teams/drivers.htm#jacques

J.D.
Old 1 Sep 2006, 17:31 (Ref:1699399)   #6
muggle not
Veteran

United States
North Carolina, U.S.
muggle not should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridmuggle not should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It would be a mistake to jump right in at the Cup level. A number of races in Busch or even Arca would be the smart thing to do, regardless of the talent level.
Old 1 Sep 2006, 19:43 (Ref:1699503)   #7
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Well, it's not surprise news, but it is very welcome. Can't wait to see him and he'd be a great draw for the Busch Series!
Old 2 Sep 2006, 01:43 (Ref:1699681)   #8
Hazza
Subscriber
Veteran

Australia
Behind You.
Hazza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHazza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHazza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
It'd be funny if it was something like Dare-2 or RCR wouldn't it?

I just can't seem to get the picture of him drivering a light blue and white stock car out of my head, anyone else getting this?
Old 2 Sep 2006, 04:52 (Ref:1699769)   #9
VilleneuveTracy
Veteran

United States
New Jersey
VilleneuveTracy should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridVilleneuveTracy should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
If he is going straight to cup there are less possibilities but if he is going to spend a year in the BGN series (which a driver without the long-term commitment and bond JPM has with his car owner would be better off doing) things open up more. Teams that are considering expanding are especially good prospects, such as RCR, DEI, and Penske. They could run JV in the BGN series for a year and then move him up with their new team to the cup series in 2008. Penske has witnessed JV's talent behind the wheel firsthand so that may help him there.

If he goes to the Busch Series first RCR may be a likely team. Harvick will not run the full schedule next year, RCR has arguably the best Busch program right now, Childress has long wanted to expand to 4 teams, and Childress has shown a willingness to give outsiders a chance before (R. Gordon, Tracy, Sarah Fisher, and to a lesser extent Dave Blaney).

I think the big question surrounding him going to the BGN series is whether a F1 champ would accept driving in NASCAR's second-tier series?

Red Bull may be a possibility as well, particularly if he goes straight to the cup series. We know they are in it for marketing and JV would be great at producing publicity for them. They also may develop into a strong team since they should have as much financial backing as necessary from Red Bull.

If he goes straight to the cup series Roush is actually a possibility. Kleuver won't get that seat, and he showed why he shouldn't be given that seat once again by qualifying 43rd in a Roush car at California (one of Roush's best tracks). No top NASCAR drivers are available so it wouldn't necessarily be bad for Roush to take a gamble on JV.

David Gilliland getting a relatively good cup seat after one fluke Busch Series win that shows how poor the free agent pool in NASCAR is right now.

Old 2 Sep 2006, 11:19 (Ref:1700000)   #10
rustyfan
Veteran

Sweden
rustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by VilleneuveTracy
I think the big question surrounding him going to the BGN series is whether a F1 champ would accept driving in NASCAR's second-tier series?
The thing is, can one really call the Busch Series a "regular" second-tier series these days, given how the NEXTEL Cup drivers dominate the races (and the championship, for that matter)? It might be a second-tier series on paper, but you still often go up against the very best stock car drivers in the world whenever you take part in a Busch race. I'm fairly certain Villeneuve would be aware of this, and possibly - hopefully? - see it as a good way of getting used to the world of stock cars while still going up against the best.

As usual we will see how things play out though - it is, after all, not even certain yet that he'll actually move to stock cars. I sure hope he does though
Old 2 Sep 2006, 12:35 (Ref:1700028)   #11
Last2LiftOff
Veteran

Canada
Six Jolly Fellowship Porters
Last2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameLast2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameLast2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameLast2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameLast2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameLast2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameLast2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameLast2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameLast2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameLast2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
VilleneuveTracy, so Tracy's gonna run in 6 Busch series races next year - looks like both your guys may be in. Good on ya'. JPM a nice little bonus.
Old 2 Sep 2006, 13:02 (Ref:1700039)   #12
Last2LiftOff
Veteran

Canada
Last2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameLast2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameLast2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameLast2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameLast2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameLast2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameLast2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameLast2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameLast2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameLast2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I would have edited my last post there but I must've been outside the 107% rule;sorry. I didn't know JPM wasn't running in Cup until kingfloopy just mentioned it. So, thanks for that. I gotta get out more.
Old 3 Sep 2006, 03:48 (Ref:1700355)   #13
mountainstar
Veteran

United States
mountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
As a side note, P Carpentier is running in cascar.

Still other than a blurb from an italian newspaper(not the best source for nascar news I would imagine) we have nothing to speak of yet.
Old 3 Sep 2006, 08:01 (Ref:1700432)   #14
StuiE
Veteran

StuiE should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by VilleneuveTracy
If he goes straight to the cup series Roush is actually a possibility. Kleuver won't get that seat, and he showed why he shouldn't be given that seat once again by qualifying 43rd in a Roush car at California (one of Roush's best tracks). No top NASCAR drivers are available so it wouldn't necessarily be bad for Roush to take a gamble on JV.

I agree, Kleuver has done pretty poorly, he actually DNQ'd, Travis Kvapil qualified 43rd.

Would be great to see. him get into the series, somehow I can't see it though, Busch or Cup

"I think we broke something.......Traction" -Carl Edwards 19/8/06 MIS

05 - Peter Brock
Old 4 Sep 2006, 07:58 (Ref:1701286)   #15
jonesi
Rookie

jonesi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Last2LiftOff
I would have edited my last post there but I must've been outside the 107% rule;sorry. I didn't know JPM wasn't running in Cup until kingfloopy just mentioned it. So, thanks for that. I gotta get out more.
Montoya is signed for the #42 - GANASSI - TEXACO/HAVOLINE in Cup for '07 & '08. However if he can be freed up to race this year, Ganassi said he would put him in a couple of Busch races. Nascar requested a couple of oval races prior to Dayona 500, and I think JV would get the same recomendation. (There are numerous small oval series that race in January across the sun belt that would meet this need. (I would also think that they would be willing to accept 24 Daytona or IROC at Day experience too.)

Anyone know if JMPs contract is over on 10/23 (last F1) or 1/1/07?
Old 4 Sep 2006, 14:56 (Ref:1701607)   #16
Hazza
Subscriber
Veteran

Australia
Behind You.
Hazza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHazza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHazza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I have no idea, but MotoGP contracts work untill Dec 31. So I assume F1 is the same.
Old 4 Sep 2006, 20:31 (Ref:1701810)   #17
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
It depends. JPM is free from his contract after the Brazilian GP, the final F1 race. But it is usually 31st December.
Old 5 Sep 2006, 00:21 (Ref:1701952)   #18
VilleneuveTracy
Veteran

United States
New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by Last2LiftOff
VilleneuveTracy, so Tracy's gonna run in 6 Busch series races next year - looks like both your guys may be in. Good on ya'. JPM a nice little bonus.
Yes, next year will be great. JPM is going to primarily be in the cup series but I am sure he will run a fair amount of Busch races as well.

Not even qualifying in a Roush car--and at California. Wow. I think Kleuver may have put the nail in his cup coffin this weekend...

Old 5 Sep 2006, 14:13 (Ref:1702375)   #19
rustyfan
Veteran

Sweden
Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainstar
As a side note, P Carpentier is running in cascar.
Yup, he made his debut this past weekend and finished sixth

He's trying to get a Busch Series deal together for 2007.
Old 14 Sep 2006, 18:42 (Ref:1710399)   #20
nickyf1
Veteran

Scotland
City of Glasgow, Scotland, UK
nickyf1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridnickyf1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
JV should do resonably well, he has oval experiance, just like JPM.
Old 14 Sep 2006, 19:24 (Ref:1710447)   #21
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

If only it were that simple. It's a long road and a steep learning curve.

It's one thing to tame a Champcar round an oval, quite another to tame a stockcar in the middle of the pack.
Old 14 Sep 2006, 21:57 (Ref:1710542)   #22
kingfloopy
Veteran

United States
Iowa, USA
Villeneuve will be running the Busch series. The competition isn't as strong there so he should have a better chance at running well. Very few cup drivers are planning on running both series full-time which will enhance the odds for the Busch regulars. There will still be a learning curve as Paul Tracy found this year and he will have to get some experience to be real good. But I think that if he is with a decent team that will stick it out through any rough patches and he avoids bad luck he should do okay.

I wonder when the official announcement for all this will be?

J.D.
Old 16 Sep 2006, 13:24 (Ref:1711829)   #23
Last2LiftOff
Veteran

Canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by knowlesy
If only it were that simple. It's a long road and a steep learning curve. It's one thing to tame a Champcar round an oval, quite another to tame a stockcar in the middle of the pack.
I bet. My guess is JPM's driving style would be more suited to heavy stock cars on ovals than JV's. More...........Paul Tracy but with car control.
Old 17 Sep 2006, 09:27 (Ref:1712166)   #24
mountainstar
Veteran

United States
mountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
we still haven't heard any solid rumor linking jv to any nascar team.
Old 17 Sep 2006, 09:50 (Ref:1712187)   #25
Eff One
Rookie

Australia
NSW, Australia
Eff One has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainstar
we still haven't heard any solid rumor linking jv to any nascar team.
Exactly, it's all still very speculative.