Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Motorsport Art & Photography

Old 26 Feb 2008, 17:48 (Ref:2138582)   #1
vogelmann4
Rookie

vogelmann4 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Travelling with camera equipment

My father and I are planning to go to Sebring in 2 weeks and have some questions about flying our cameras. He has a Nikon D70s and I have his old film slr. We were wondering is there any precautions we need to take to make our cameras travel? Do we need to protect the memory and film? I am sure we will carry the bags with us, as apposed to checking them. Any suggests would be appreciated. Thank you!
Old 26 Feb 2008, 19:39 (Ref:2138645)   #2
Guidoh
Rookie

United Kingdom
Near Boroughbridge, North Yorkshire, UK
Guidoh should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hi Vogelmann,

I've carried my DSLR on several flights with me without any problems regarding X-Ray etc.

I wouldn't entrust camera equipment to the WWF baggage handlers who like to "slam-dunk" cases around the airport.

Just pack the most important/valuable gear into your hand luggage. If you're really concerned by X-Ray you could put CompactFlash cards in your hold luggage as they're cheaper and less likely to be damaged when bundled in with all your clothes. Perhaps keep one back in your hand luggage just in case your hold luggage does go 'astray' leaving you with no "camera-food" on your trip.
Old 27 Feb 2008, 06:53 (Ref:2138972)   #3
Samoan Attorney
Veteran

Samoan Attorney should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSamoan Attorney should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSamoan Attorney should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by vogelmann4
My father and I are planning to go to Sebring in 2 weeks and have some questions about flying our cameras. He has a Nikon D70s and I have his old film slr. We were wondering is there any precautions we need to take to make our cameras travel? Do we need to protect the memory and film? I am sure we will carry the bags with us, as apposed to checking them. Any suggests would be appreciated. Thank you!
To avoid hassle with film at security why not purchase and process film while in the US?

There is a Wallmart on HWY 27 that will be able to accommodate your needs and from memory it is open 24/7. Also I think that this will be a much cheaper option. This of course assumes that you are shooting neg rather than slide. If it is slide then there are several processing houses in Miami.

The current security procedures for air travel hold no problems for digital media.
Old 27 Feb 2008, 12:27 (Ref:2139163)   #4
thebear
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

United States
85mi S. of Daytona, 125mi NE of Sebring
thebear should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridthebear should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
A Reply

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samoan Attorney
To avoid hassle with film at security why not purchase and process film while in the US? The current security procedures for air travel hold no problems for digital media.
The current X-ray machines at carry-on screening will not bother photo film unless it it ISO 1600 or higher. That being said, anyplace you buy film in the US is going to much more economical than in the UK. There is a "CVS" pharmacy on route 27 at the turnoff to the track (assuming one is heading S on 27). Their ISO 200 `CVS branded' film is usually $~7 for 4 x 24 exposures. They have an on site 1 hour lab (expect delays during race week) as well as several self service kiosks for digital printing.

You may find some useful information at THIS link.

PM if you need any other information.

hake:

Last edited by thebear; 27 Feb 2008 at 12:31.
Old 27 Feb 2008, 14:49 (Ref:2139304)   #5
vogelmann4
Rookie

vogelmann4 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Thanks for the help guys. Despite the German name I am from Pennsylvania. I will be shooting film but will probably wait until I get home to develope it. We'll just carry the cameras on, sounds like we won't have a problem. Thanks guys.