Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 13 May 2001, 13:42 (Ref:91747)   #1
Damon
Veteran

United Kingdom
Hampshire, England
Damon should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Rubens equal No.1 LOL

There's a point in fact for all of you who were set on your opinion that ferrari has an equal no.1 status between its drivers. Rubens drove the better race while TGF made a number of errors yet was forced to yeild by the team. If I were Rubens I'd get out as quick as possible.
Old 13 May 2001, 13:44 (Ref:91750)   #2
Piquet
Racer

Piquet should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
If only they didn't pay him so much !!!!
Old 13 May 2001, 13:48 (Ref:91757)   #3
LYM
Racer

LYM should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The frosty atmosphere in the Press Conference said it all. Michael had criticised the way Ralf treated by Eddie Jordan now see what he'll said to Rubens.

I don't feel sorry for Rubens, but if Todt represents Ferrari we all know what kind of team it is now.
Old 13 May 2001, 14:01 (Ref:91782)   #4
Liz
Veteran

Liz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridLiz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Good for Rubens to come out and bluntly say that he was forced to give way to the poor slob who can't even come in second unless it's handed to him on a plate.

I wonder what Ferrari would have done if Rubens had developed radio problems at that point?
Old 13 May 2001, 14:04 (Ref:91787)   #5
Piquet
Racer

Piquet should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Liz
Good for Rubens to come out and bluntly say that he was forced to give way to the poor slob who can't even come in second unless it's handed to him on a plate.
Yea I agree I was surprised but good on him !!

Shummy won't be happy though!!
Old 13 May 2001, 14:31 (Ref:91808)   #6
mjstallard
Veteran

England
London
mjstallard should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
If he was upset about losing a race due to a pitstop, imagine how upset he would be if he was leading on that last bend

And the tirade of excuses from TGF was more fun than watching Portillo lose his seat at the last General Election. Truly stunning...wasn't his face a picture?

...if you excuse me, and let me go into paranoid mode, I wonder what would've happened if Rubens had gotten close enough to DC to make a passing attempt...would an order to turn left through a right hand bend as he's overtaking DC be issued? hohoho!

weee, what a race. Nice one DC, nice one Rubens - everyone knows how much TGF smells now
Old 13 May 2001, 14:49 (Ref:91822)   #7
R
Veteran

R should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridR should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It had to happen of course, TGF is the no. 1 driver at Ferrari and that's no secret. Personally I see no problem with this. Even though I'd prefer Rubens to beat the **** out of TGF (on the track), in reality this is the only way to do it team strategy wise, if you're going to get maximum out of your efforts for both the constructor's and the drivers championship. Rubens should wake up, he ought to know this reality by now.

McLaren ought to do the same and get behind Coulthard now.
Old 13 May 2001, 14:49 (Ref:91823)   #8
Murph
Racer

Murph should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Last I looked... there was a 2-man race for the WDC. Rubinho is not one of the two......he had an opportunity to win the race, but unfortunately it didn't happen. It made sense for Ferrari to "make the call" on the last lap as those 2 points might well come in handy down the road....... of course the concept of making sense has no place in the world of the Michael Schumacher/Scuderia Ferrari haters out there.......

Murph
Old 13 May 2001, 14:52 (Ref:91825)   #9
V6+
Rookie

V6+ should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Rubens deserved the second place, team orders or no team orders, when a drivers carrier is on the line the only way he can prove his worth is to out perform his team mate, not much chance of that at Ferrari.

I remember not so long ago another team being criticised by the FIA for a similar situation, I wonder if Ferrari will be this time.

Its no longer motor racing when the result of a race is predetermined, they may as well all draw lots before the start of the race to decide were they will all finish.
Old 13 May 2001, 15:00 (Ref:91830)   #10
LYM
Racer

There's no championship points to defend people. Either way Farrari would have the 2nd and 3rd place in the pockets. Todt's order is purely for his pet driver.

Don't say Rubens is not as good as Michael. Recent qualifying and race times show that he's inching nearer to match Michael.

Last edited by LYM; 13 May 2001 at 15:01.
Old 13 May 2001, 15:03 (Ref:91831)   #11
R
Veteran

R should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridR should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by LYM
There's no championship points to defend people.
Yes, there is. As Murph so correctly has pointed out, those extra two points TGF got out of it may well decide the WDC. Good strategy by Ferrari, even if I don't like it.
Old 13 May 2001, 15:09 (Ref:91834)   #12
EERO
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

United States
Massachusetts
EERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I agree with Murph and R. But I will say that Rubens' prospects of another year at Ferrari are fading. Its bad enough to be told to pull over, but for God's sake, be gracious about it. The situation at Ferrari is clear, and if Barrichello doesn't like it, he should leave.
Old 13 May 2001, 15:14 (Ref:91841)   #13
LYM
Racer

Quote:
Originally posted by R

Yes, there is. As Murph so correctly has pointed out, those extra two points TGF got out of it may well decide the WDC. Good strategy by Ferrari, even if I don't like it.
I was referring to WCC.

You have pointed out what I wanted to say. Todt has helped MS at the expense of RB-both Ferrari drivers. Maybe one is a friend of him while the other is just an employee.
Old 13 May 2001, 15:26 (Ref:91847)   #14
R
Veteran

... or maybe one has 24 points more than the other. But I do see your point, I don't like it either, but in terms of Ferrari's chances of winning both championships, it was the correct thing to do IMO.
Old 13 May 2001, 15:26 (Ref:91848)   #15
Damon
Veteran

United Kingdom
Hampshire, England
The sad thing is that Rubens was adiment when he joined ferrari that he would be joining on equal terms with his team mate. His face on the podium gave me the impression that he now realises what Ferrari is all about. No wonder no one wants to be TGF's team mate.
Old 13 May 2001, 15:48 (Ref:91864)   #16
slicktoast
Veteran

slicktoast should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

If RB really believed he would be equal #1 to TGF then he is to be pitied. If he hasn't learned reality by now from EI or recent experience then he shouldn't be a whinning cryb*by about it. Strange how RB's pitstop was longer than TGF's...
Old 13 May 2001, 15:55 (Ref:91866)   #17
R
Veteran

Even stranger it wasn't long enough, if you know what I mean...
Old 13 May 2001, 16:00 (Ref:91869)   #18
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I don't quite understand RB.
If he plans to stay at Ferrari, he should be quiet about the team's decision. His cold behavior at the podium was like shouting "I didn''t like what happened !!!!!".
I can be wrong, if he knows something that whole world doesn't.
Old 13 May 2001, 16:53 (Ref:91886)   #19
JeremySmith
Veteran

United Kingdom
Austin Texas
JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!
Well you are exactly right Murph...Ferrari are racing to win championships..And at close to $200 million a year that they are spending,they have every right to make these calls if it is in the teams interest..Remember TGF allowing Irvine to win in Maylasia.
Old 13 May 2001, 16:58 (Ref:91890)   #20
badoer fan
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
badoer fan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The "World Drivers' Championship". For drivers, not teams, last time I looked
Old 13 May 2001, 17:13 (Ref:91900)   #21
JeremySmith
Veteran

United Kingdom
Austin Texas
JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!
Badoer fan

They are represented at races as a "team" and win or loose as a team..
Old 13 May 2001, 19:54 (Ref:92003)   #22
Damon
Veteran

United Kingdom
Hampshire, England
Sorry but agree with BF on this one. WDC is the best Driver. WCC is the best team.
Old 13 May 2001, 20:08 (Ref:92010)   #23
JeremySmith
Veteran

United Kingdom
Austin Texas
Damon and Badoer Fan

I understand both your point's.. There are two companionships at stake here. There enough races left for Michael Schumacher to place himself third, second or wherever in a race without the team calling the shots..I hope I am making sense ...The fact does remain though that Michael was told to give up his position to Irvine at Malaysia irregardless of what he thought.. Team orders
Old 13 May 2001, 20:11 (Ref:92013)   #24
JeremySmith
Veteran

United Kingdom
Austin Texas
One more thought..My understanding is that all the teams have number one and number two drivers..McLaren,Jaguar,etc..etc
Old 13 May 2001, 20:30 (Ref:92029)   #25
Valve Bounce
Veteran

Australia
Home :)
Valve Bounce has been held in scrutiny for further testing
Surely Rubens must have known that he will not be at Ferrari next year. Ferrari have been looking openly for another driver next year. Pity TGF was not asked about Rubens moving over for him at the post race conference, which looked like an undertakers' conference.
Now, I wonder which team Rubens will be moving to next year!!