Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 16 May 2001, 17:09 (Ref:93275)   #1
Ed G
Racer

Ed G should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Faking Pit Stops

Having watched the race with my Dad this weekend, when Ferrari pulled their fake pitstop he said it used to be illegal to do this.

Anyone have any info on when it became legal or was illegal?

Why is it legal?... not only is it a safety risk but also puts other pitting teams at a disadvantage being forced to drive around the Ferrari guys.
Old 16 May 2001, 17:12 (Ref:93279)   #2
Damon
Veteran

United Kingdom
Hampshire, England
Damon should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I actually comented to my dad at the time that I thought it was illegal, but I suppose its not.
Old 16 May 2001, 17:24 (Ref:93285)   #3
ozywoodwards
Veteran

United Kingdom
Chorlton, Manchester
ozywoodwards should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Remember we are talking about an action by the Ferrari team, and therefore just because no action was taken by the FIA doesn't mean its legal.
Old 16 May 2001, 19:24 (Ref:93320)   #4
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!
it's illegal to have people in the pitlane unless you're doing a pitstop, or moving your airguns for the other teams, isn't it?

mind you, aren't team orders illegal too?
Old 16 May 2001, 19:41 (Ref:93327)   #5
Damon
Veteran

United Kingdom
Hampshire, England
Damon should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
You hit the nail on the head, the old ferrari are outside the rules rule strikes again.
Old 16 May 2001, 19:46 (Ref:93329)   #6
JeremySmith
Veteran

United Kingdom
Austin Texas
JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!
The Mechanics are only allowed in the pit lane on the lap that the car is making it's way to the pits..Why do you assume Ferrari were faking?? It is quite conceivable that Ross Brawn said "okay guys this lap" and then changed his mind
Old 16 May 2001, 19:57 (Ref:93335)   #7
RIKB
Veteran

RIKB should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quite right, It could have been that the pitwall changed their minds, or perhaps the driver didn't get the signal or even missed the pit entrance.

These will certainly be the excuses used, but on the balance of probability it was a bit of good old fashioned gamesmanship
Old 16 May 2001, 22:09 (Ref:93383)   #8
Ferrari Girl
Rookie

Ferrari Girl should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

wahey, here begins another round of ferrari bashing?
for goodness sakes, cant they do anything right?
Old 16 May 2001, 22:54 (Ref:93408)   #9
Raoul Duke
Veteran

Raoul Duke should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
There is nothing wrong with faking pit-stops. In Nascar it happens all the time. It's just a part of the game. I'm just glad(for my sake) that DC didn't fall for it.
Old 16 May 2001, 23:27 (Ref:93417)   #10
slipstream
Rookie

slipstream should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I agree Raul. It is simply part of the tactical game and contributes to the interest of the race.
Old 16 May 2001, 23:27 (Ref:93418)   #11
Tristan
Veteran

Tristan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Ferrari cheating AGAIN?? Why am I not surprised.... utter UTTER balls.
Old 17 May 2001, 03:02 (Ref:93458)   #12
Ed G
Racer

Ed G should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Ok thanks for the input.

I really don't think that faking pit stops works all that effectivly in F1 anyhow. In CART and NASCAR having the leader fake on yellow flags can make a BIG difference to other teams. But in F1 the teams have the strategy pretty much worked out at the start and don't rely on yellow flags to change things.

I would think that if anything it would work against the team. My guess is that if Ferrari fakes then McLaren (or possibly Williams) would tell their drivers to start to put some quick laps to work on building up a gap.
Old 17 May 2001, 05:48 (Ref:93493)   #13
Valve Bounce
Veteran

Australia
Home :)
Valve Bounce has been held in scrutiny for further testing
Going back to the comment that it would make another driver drive around the ferrari team's mechanics, are cars allowed to drive through another team's pit space? I really don't know this. As for it being illegal or otherwise, surely somebody must know hte rules - we have guys here going to the FIA site and coming back with the precise rules.
I'll go along with Mr Ed in that the other team would tell their guy to run a few hot laps, and that would make it even worse for the team pulling off such a stunt.

Last edited by Valve Bounce; 17 May 2001 at 05:50.
Old 17 May 2001, 12:19 (Ref:93548)   #14
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Er,

Was I dreaming, or did McLaren do it twice before RB pitted and then leave DC out for four extra laps?