Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Barn Finds > ChampCar World Series

Old 2 Jul 2004, 18:01 (Ref:1023928)   #1
jjspierx
Veteran

United States
Oregon, USA
jjspierx should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridjjspierx should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
2 oval races this year

http://www.champweb.net/headline.php?t=h&id=25791

Apparently one of the TBA's this year will be an oval rumoured to be Chicago or Fontana. Chicago seems more likely to me, although Chicago had TERRIBLE attendance its last few years and the racing was not that spectacular from what I remember. I wonder why those tracks are speculated rather than Las Vegas being speculated. It seems more likely they would use an oval in a city they were already planning on attending.
Old 2 Jul 2004, 18:06 (Ref:1023934)   #2
enemy-ace
Veteran

Canada
toronto, ontario, canada
enemy-ace should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Please let it be Fontana. Doesn't Penske own Fontana?
A torrential afternoon practice session in Watkins Glen saw Villeneuve out-qualify everyone. By 11 seconds.Scheckter stated: "I scared myself rigid that day, I thought I had to be quickest. Then I saw Gilles's time and - I still don't really understand how it was possible. Eleven seconds !"
Old 2 Jul 2004, 18:34 (Ref:1023961)   #3
macdaddy
Veteran

Canada
St.Catharines Ontario
macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!
I think Penske sold all of his ISC shares last year.
Old 2 Jul 2004, 18:39 (Ref:1023965)   #4
Flatspot
Veteran

United States
Salt Lake City
Flatspot should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
An olive branch perhaps?

I'd like it to be Fontana for the very selfish reason that it is easy for me to attend.
Old 2 Jul 2004, 18:39 (Ref:1023966)   #5
Dov
Veteran

Canada
Toronto, Canada
Dov should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'm also hoping that it's Fontana and doesn't the IRL have a race in Chicago?!
Old 2 Jul 2004, 18:44 (Ref:1023971)   #6
macdaddy
Veteran

Canada
St.Catharines Ontario
macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!
I would be SOOOO happy!
500 miles at Fontana.
See how some of these boys fare on a supertrack. A good many of them have never driven a race like that.
Old 2 Jul 2004, 22:12 (Ref:1024135)   #7
esorniloc
Veteran

esorniloc should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Just as long as its some oval.

Can't have a champ car series with only 1 oval. There should be 6 or more.
Old 2 Jul 2004, 22:43 (Ref:1024169)   #8
Tenoch
Veteran

United States
Another Michigan Town
Tenoch should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The IRL races at the chicagoland speedway located in Aurora about an hours drive from downtown chicago. Champ cars use to race at the chicago motor sppedway which is in Cicero and only 15 minutes from downtown, and 10 from where i live.

Although Idoubt that the Chicago race is going to happen as already two races are held in Wisconsin.
Old 2 Jul 2004, 23:41 (Ref:1024212)   #9
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I wonder how likely Fontana is after the arguments of last year.
Old 3 Jul 2004, 00:11 (Ref:1024224)   #10
Omega99
Veteran

Canada
9Henday
Omega99 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'm sure whatever dispute they had with CART will be carried over to OWRS, as so many others have been.

However, I'd love to see Fontana back. Although it's only a part of CART's recent past, it has already produced some great racing. Like Michigan. One battle at a time though.
Old 3 Jul 2004, 09:42 (Ref:1024522)   #11
Hazard
Veteran

United Kingdom
United Kingdom
Hazard should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridHazard should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridHazard should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I love the circuit racing, but sticking these things at Michigan & Fontana and having a real oval race those few years ago was great.

I hope it's Fontana too.
Old 3 Jul 2004, 11:22 (Ref:1024594)   #12
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Realistically, if they can't get more than 1 oval next year, tehre's no point in continuing with that line of racing. it'll probably take the IRL time to perfect their road-course prodcut and CART has a good head-start on them.

Still, I'd be delighted if Fontana or another big oval could be added. Chicago would be nice, but it's fairly similar to Milwaukee, which was a tedious race.
Old 3 Jul 2004, 13:32 (Ref:1024875)   #13
indycool
Veteran

indycool should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridindycool should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I don't see Chicago as a possibility at all. Chicago Motor Speedway, the ex-Ganassi project, is being torn down and is mired in lawsuits. Chicagoland is owned by ISC, IMS and Dale Coyne and the IRL runs there.

As for Fontana, there might be a deal in the works to satisfy CART's retaining the sanction fee for a race it canceled. Things have been quiet on that front lately.

In any case, we've heard "7 to 10 days" and "within a few weeks" before regarding schedules and TBAs. It's July 3.
Old 3 Jul 2004, 15:47 (Ref:1024954)   #14
racinthestreets
Racer

racinthestreets should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Fontana would be nothing short of awesome. Please let it be.
Old 3 Jul 2004, 16:31 (Ref:1024983)   #15
racerkeke
Veteran

Canada
The Great Green North
racerkeke should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridracerkeke should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridracerkeke should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridracerkeke should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
But when? Fontana is booked for Champs' traditional end of October timeframe, by Grand-Am running on the road course.

keke
Old 3 Jul 2004, 16:43 (Ref:1024999)   #16
macdaddy
Veteran

Canada
St.Catharines Ontario
Good observation, racerkeke.

You all know how much I enjoy the occasional oval - especially the supertracks of Fontana and Michigan - but one thing worries me. If they can't even keep more than 3 or 4 cars on the lead lap on street circuits, imagine how spread out they'll become on the speedway? It'll be a race of attrition, really. But it could also provide a surprise winner.
Old 3 Jul 2004, 16:46 (Ref:1025002)   #17
zerO
Veteran

zerO should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by indycool
I don't see Chicago as a possibility at all. Chicago Motor Speedway, the ex-Ganassi project, is being torn down and is mired in lawsuits. Chicagoland is owned by ISC, IMS and Dale Coyne and the IRL runs there.

As for Fontana, there might be a deal in the works to satisfy CART's retaining the sanction fee for a race it canceled. Things have been quiet on that front lately.

In any case, we've heard "7 to 10 days" and "within a few weeks" before regarding schedules and TBAs. It's July 3.

Thanx for putting it in a proper perspective... have no clue what Don Sklenka was smoking when he posted that tidbit... maybe Fontana, Chicago no way... and besides - it's too late - most likely there won't be any "TBA" races this year... listening to Gentilozzi's spews is AKIN to fairytales - never should I believe a word from him...

zerO
Old 3 Jul 2004, 17:17 (Ref:1025026)   #18
macdaddy
Veteran

Canada
St.Catharines Ontario
Well, when he said "There WILL be a series next year", he was right!
Old 3 Jul 2004, 17:25 (Ref:1025037)   #19
zerO
Veteran

zerO should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
^ ...yeah, sometimes he does utter something logical, but most of the times KK is telling him to clam up and I wish he heeded that suggestion...

zerO
Old 3 Jul 2004, 20:36 (Ref:1025158)   #20
RapidTron
Rookie

RapidTron should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
there is no point in going to a superspeedway because it will mean kalkhoven will have to pay more out of his pocket for the superspeedway wings.
Old 4 Jul 2004, 10:57 (Ref:1025576)   #21
D.R.T.
Veteran

D.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridD.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Before the Fontana event last year was cancelled, were they going to run superspeedway wings, I thought they were just running the normal wings as they did as Lausitz ???
Old 4 Jul 2004, 19:48 (Ref:1026053)   #22
macdaddy
Veteran

Canada
St.Catharines Ontario
RapidTron, do you think that they would've thrown all of last year's wings into the garbage? There is a chassis freeze, afterall. It may be a moot point anyway, if DRT is correct.
Old 4 Jul 2004, 22:58 (Ref:1026205)   #23
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
It would be great if this came about. Variety and all that.

The wing spec. they would run is quite important I guess. In which case the road wings would be more of an unknown on those ovals. Still as macdaddy says it wouldn't take much to convert them because of the chassis freeze.
Old 5 Jul 2004, 20:12 (Ref:1027179)   #24
Amar7605
Veteran

United States
Elk Grove, CA
Amar7605 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
If is Fontana, then that would be great. Unlike Michigan and Chicago, people actually come to Fontana. The last race had like 70000 people, from what I remember. I mean, it's not packed or anything, but still great people come out to see some great racing!

Of course, Vegas would be cool, too! I personally have never been to Sin City (since I have this thing about not gambling), but a race there would be the perfect excuse!

But we shall see what happens.
Old 5 Jul 2004, 20:14 (Ref:1027185)   #25
Amar7605
Veteran

United States
Elk Grove, CA
Amar7605 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by macdaddy
You all know how much I enjoy the occasional oval - especially the supertracks of Fontana and Michigan - but one thing worries me. If they can't even keep more than 3 or 4 cars on the lead lap on street circuits, imagine how spread out they'll become on the speedway? It'll be a race of attrition, really. But it could also provide a surprise winner.
Didn't Ford test their engines to run a speedway race last year? So far the Ford engines have been pretty reliable, so I don't think that attrition will be a big deal.