Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Clubmans Rallycross Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Other Motorsports > Rallying & Rallycross

Old 16 Jan 2008, 14:53 (Ref:2107318)   #1
daz2202
Racer

England
Canterbury
daz2202 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Rallycross dates - your opinions

2008 UK Rallycross Dates

March 2nd - Croft - ROC/MDA/BTRDA
March 24th - Lydden - BRDA/MSA/BTRDA
April 13th - Blyton - ROC/MDA/BTRDA
May 3rd/4th - Pembrey - BRDA/MSA/BTRDA*
May 26th - Blyton - MDA/BTRDA
June 8th - Pembrey - ROC/MDA/BTRDA
July 6th - Croft - ROC/BRDA/MSA/MDA
August 26th - Lydden - BRDA/MSA/BTRDA
September 13th/14th - Blyton - ROC/MDA/BTRDA*
September 28th - Pembrey - BRDA/MSA/BTRDA
Qctober 12th - Mondello - BRDA/MSA
October 25th - Croft - ROC/MDA
October 26th - Croft - 2008 Superprix

I am dissapointed to see no Lydden for the ROC and for those doing both thats a lot of croft and pembrey

Amalgamating the various championships running on the same days, will this work or will it become even more confusing for spectators. (and drivers).
Old 16 Jan 2008, 15:07 (Ref:2107323)   #2
leonidas
Veteran

England
Coventry
leonidas should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridleonidas should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Yes, I thought Lydden was on the ROC provisional calendar... I'm not up to date - does this have anything to do with the Doran takeover..?

We used to have one national championship, now we have two regional championships (north and south). Whatever the reasons are for this I don't believe it is what the drivers or the fans want.
Old 16 Jan 2008, 15:24 (Ref:2107333)   #3
sjones
Racer

England
Cheshire, United Kingdom
sjones should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The ROC decided to change remove their round from Lydden Hill in exchange for Pembrey due to a recent change in entry fee's as well as terms and conditions.

Quote:
PSM Motorsport Ltd have today announced that Pembrey (Carmarthen) will now host the third round of the 2008 Rallycross Open Championship on Sunday June 8th, replacing Lydden Hill in the seven round championship calendar.

Peter Stott from PSM Motorsport Ltd added:
"I am delighted that the Rallycross Open Championship will be visiting Pembrey for the first time and I am looking forward to working with Phil Davies and the BARC in June. A further announcement in relation to the Pembrey event will be made shortly, as it will be an event of significance. We were left with no option but to replace the Lydden Hill round of the Championship due to the increase in circuit hire fees and the substantial change of terms and conditions compared to previous years."

The change of venue to Pembrey also means that the third round of the MDA Championship will switch to Blyton Circuit on Monday May 26th, before going to Pembrey on June 8th for round four.

The revised 2008 Rallycross Open Championship calendar is outlined below:

Round 1 - Croft Circuit - Sunday March 2nd
Round 2 - Blyton Circuit - Sunday April 13th
Round 3 - Pembrey - Sunday June 8th
Round 4 - Croft Circuit - Sunday July 6th
Round 5 - Blyton Circuit - Saturday September 13th
Round 6 - Blyton Circuit - Sunday September 14th
Round 7 - Croft Circuit - Saturday October 25th

2008 Rallycross Superprix - Croft Circuit - Sunday October 26th
Old 16 Jan 2008, 15:39 (Ref:2107341)   #4
leonidas
Veteran

England
Coventry
leonidas should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridleonidas should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Very disappointing... so instead of having more rallycross events at Lydden we are going to end up with fewer! Maybe one day I will understand the Byzantine politics of this sport...
Old 16 Jan 2008, 16:06 (Ref:2107358)   #5
StockHatch782
Racer

StockHatch782 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by leonidas
Maybe one day I will understand the Byzantine politics of this sport...
If you do work it out, can you let us all know, please? We're all in the dark as well.

It's good to see the joint dates on the calendar, could be a positive move forwards as long as it goes well. I spoke to the those involved in the organisation of both championships at Autosport, both were very positive about this year and mostly pretty fair about their 'fellow' championship. So the possibility of a good relationship if both championships can accomodate.

Oh, and the dates: The MSA and ROC both have 6 dates/7 rounds, both fairly short aren't they? And the budget BTRDA championship is half as long again as both of them! Seems a bit odd, but hey, who's complaining?

And finally, about the 'southern' rallycross championship all you bloody northerners were moaning about? On a calendar of FOURTEEN meetings, only TWO are in the proper south. Have a heart, Phil, Simon and others, remember how hard it is for us southern pansies to survive oop north, ours balls'll fall off if there are any more meetings north of London. Isn't that right, Daz...?
Old 16 Jan 2008, 16:10 (Ref:2107361)   #6
sjones
Racer

England
Cheshire, United Kingdom
We had a lot of moaning last year about places where events took place. If I recall correctly we had a lot of moaning about too many events being run at Lydden. Plus the changes at Lydden aren't only going to effect Rallycross.
Old 16 Jan 2008, 17:41 (Ref:2107428)   #7
bucko
Racer

United Kingdom
Bucks
bucko should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
i just think it is a pity the ROC have dropped that round i had a lot of family / friends wanting to go to the lydden meeting being southern and all that !!,
any one know what the fees are for the brda yet not heard a dickie bird yet and as my budget is non existent i will be running in the cheapest championship no matter who it is and so far it looking roc !!!!
Old 16 Jan 2008, 18:04 (Ref:2107447)   #8
sjones
Racer

England
Cheshire, United Kingdom
Well there's only one person to blame for the Lydden Hill price rising.
Old 16 Jan 2008, 18:56 (Ref:2107469)   #9
leonidas
Veteran

England
Coventry
Quote:
Originally Posted by sjones
Well there's only one person to blame for the Lydden Hill price rising.
Is Lydden offering the same price and the same terms and conditions to both championships?

I think a lot of people were pleased that Pat and his family took over Lydden... this seems a strange way for 'the saviour of rallycross at Lydden' to respond. Have they suddenly found a 'black hole' in Lydden's finances or something?
Old 16 Jan 2008, 19:06 (Ref:2107476)   #10
sjones
Racer

England
Cheshire, United Kingdom
I think they have. I don't actually know the prices of the BRDA yet. All I know is that they have raised it.
Old 16 Jan 2008, 18:07 (Ref:2107449)   #11
Mad Mark Watson
Racer

England
barnard castle
Mad Mark Watson should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
One unhappy competitor here!!!!!!!!

When you have the sort of investment in a car that we do it is irrelevent how far we travel to compete as long as the tracks we attend are varied i.e. all over UK, the facilities are good and we can get enough spectators and competitors to put on a show.

I feel that Europe is looking more like the place to be for a lot of Uk competitors which is a real shame as Rallycross in the UK is on the up.
Old 16 Jan 2008, 18:40 (Ref:2107465)   #12
silver bullet
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
silver bullet should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridsilver bullet should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridsilver bullet should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Like the first post Daz, very colourful

I was also very disappointed when we lost Lydden from the ROC calendar. It is by far my favorite circuit. The alternative venue could have been worse, it could have been another Croft or Blyton I enjoy Pembrey, it's a challenging track to drive, the facilities are good and logistically, for me it's no further than Lydden (just over 380 miles)

I think overall the dates are not too bad. There are no back to back weekends, they are spread out geographically, and no circuit dominates the dates.
Let's just hope that that is it, and there are no more changes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by StockHatch782
Oh, and the dates: The MSA and ROC both have 6 dates/7 rounds, both fairly short aren't they? And the budget BTRDA championship is half as long again as both of them! Seems a bit odd, but hey, who's complaining?
I would think the BTRDA Championship will probably only count six or seven scores.
Old 16 Jan 2008, 19:00 (Ref:2107471)   #13
StockHatch782
Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by silver bullet
I would think the BTRDA Championship will probably only count six or seven scores.
That's true, I never thought of that.

Still though, it looks pretty good value in comparison to the main championships - obviously not in the same league, but for the clubbies...! I wonder if this will tempt some of the B-team supercars into the new BTRDA 4WD class - if there are enough of them it would be quite a close championship. Possibly:

Simon Horton - if he finishes his Impreza in time
Bob Gooding - although his new car might put him in with the top boys
Kevin McCann - might be a good fight with Simon
Terry Briggs - especially if he reshaells his car and wants to test it

Anyone else? Perhaps some people could convert old Group A rally cars and run them? Or some of the old rallycross cars could come out again and have a competitive run.

Mad Mark, which other circuits would you like to run at? I'm not saying you're wrong, just asking which others you think the championship should run at.
Old 16 Jan 2008, 22:02 (Ref:2107592)   #14
Mad Mark Watson
Racer

England
barnard castle
Mad Mark Watson should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by StockHatch782
That's true, I never thought of that.

Mad Mark, which other circuits would you like to run at? I'm not saying you're wrong, just asking which others you think the championship should run at.
I just think we should run at them all Lydden being one - good track, Knockhill, mondello too for reason of geographics so that every competitor feels that it is fare and also to bring our sport to every area. This is a personal view.
THen the next step is generate some new ones to.
Old 17 Jan 2008, 08:53 (Ref:2107838)   #15
mivec
Racer

Belgium
Belgium
mivec should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Belgium, Holland...

A good chance for the drivers from the south to race in Belgium and Holland. It is closer then Croft, Blyton, Mondello and pembrey.

Maasmechelen is only 322 km from Lydden, Valkenswaard 304 km from Lydden.
Old 17 Jan 2008, 13:01 (Ref:2107999)   #16
StockHatch782
Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Mark Watson
I just think we should run at them all Lydden being one - good track, Knockhill, mondello too for reason of geographics so that every competitor feels that it is fare and also to bring our sport to every area. This is a personal view.
THen the next step is generate some new ones to.
A fair point. From the point of view of the clubman running on a VERY tight budget, it's good not to have to go to Knockhill, for instance, but it very much depends on where you live, doesn't it? From the point of view of the top drivers, their sponsors and fans, it does seem better to spread it around a bit more.

Also, I've just noticed that, on the double-header weekends, the BTRDA only do one round. Does anyone know why this is? Surely it's far cheaper to do a double-header weekend and drop another round than have 9 rounds separately, with all the travel costs halved on the double-header weekend?

If the BTRDA want to have a cost-effective championship, which they currently have, wouldn't it make financial sense to follow the double-headers? There'll be a lot of people either with cars parked up on a Sunday/Monday or going home and missing a good day's rallycross action.
Old 17 Jan 2008, 16:08 (Ref:2108108)   #17
Spectator
Racer

United Kingdom
East Sussex
Spectator should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
From the spectators point of view I am concerned about the two day/one event Easter meeting at Lydden.
Practice and 1st round of heats on Sunday afternoon and then the other two rounds of heats and the finals on Monday.
What are we expected to do?
Pick which day we want to attend and only get to see half the meeting? or go to both days which will incur two admission fees and two lots of travelling or overnight costs.
I know all you drivers will say that you do that all the time but we spectators are not used to it.
Will the paying public have to pay twice to see what is in effect one meeting? I will have no objection to paying twice when there are two meetings eg Superprix or the two dayer at Pembrey,
I'm sure the drivers will not have to pay twice to race at the event.

Anyway rant over!!!!

Good to see that there should be a few new cars out this year. It all bodes well for what should be another good year of rallycross.
Old 16 Jan 2008, 20:15 (Ref:2107523)   #18
daz2202
Racer

England
Canterbury
daz2202 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by silver bullet
Like the first post Daz, very colourful
yeah cheers bullet 'cut and paste does wonders'

Still, looks like most drivers are all dissapointed to lose Lydden going by the posts and a couple of pm's that i have.

I totally agree with Mad Mark, and I dont drive a really expensive car like him but I do want to race at all the tracks. Particulary Lydden as its less than ten minutes from my front door.

So its all about terms, conditions and pricing. And the Dorans now running Lydden, surely they want to promote rallycross in the biggest way possible at there track regardless of who's championship it is. this can only be a massive loss for them and our sport.

So if Pat or Amy are on here please could we get your side of the story and your reasons.

Before anyone gets the hump or excited please lets not lets this post become a my dads bigger than yours. i compete in both along with a lot of you, and will continue to do so.
Old 16 Jan 2008, 21:58 (Ref:2107588)   #19
ebby
Racer

United Kingdom
near Lydden, Kent
ebby should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Shame about no Lydden for ROC, although the BRC meetings there have been far better, far more well supported and far more entertaining.

But then again Doran never competed in the ROC. So if he is anti that series then why should he let them race on his own track?
Old 16 Jan 2008, 19:11 (Ref:2107478)   #20
Dean Watson
Veteran

England
Louth, Lincolnshire
Dean Watson should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by daz2202
2008 UK Rallycross Dates

March 2nd - Croft - ROC/MDA/BTRDA
March 24th - Lydden - BRDA/MSA/BTRDA
April 13th - Blyton - ROC/MDA/BTRDA
May 3rd/4th - Pembrey - BRDA/MSA/BTRDA*
May 26th - Blyton - MDA/BTRDA
June 8th - Pembrey - ROC/MDA/BTRDA
July 6th - Croft - ROC/BRDA/MSA/MDA
August 26th - Lydden - BRDA/MSA/BTRDA
September 13th/14th - Blyton - ROC/MDA/BTRDA*
September 28th - Pembrey - BRDA/MSA/BTRDA
Qctober 12th - Mondello - BRDA/MSA
October 25th - Croft - ROC/MDA
October 26th - Croft - 2008 Superprix

Amalgamating the various championships running on the same days, will this work or will it become even more confusing for spectators. (and drivers).
Could this be the beginning of a unification between the differing organisers?
Yes I can see the prospect for a little confusion for spectators, but then again what do the spectators really go for? not the politics but to watch good racing with full grids and the variety of classes. If there happens to be two super finals then the spectator gets a bonus. It wont take long for the word to spread that rally cross entertains and gives value for money, then the crowds will increase as will coverage in the media and British rally cross gets to where it should be ON TOP
Old 17 Jan 2008, 09:32 (Ref:2107860)   #21
sihorton
Racer

England
up north, aka lancashire
sihorton should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Well let's look on the positive side, at least there will be plenty of dates for competitors to race at. And both championships have full calenders.

I too am sad at the loss of the ROC lydden event, but pembrey is still an very good circuit.

On a personal basis, i'm not sure what championship too follow now. I've always followed the BxDA in stocks and done select events in the RSS/ROC. But with the new btrda 4wd class coming online, i feel this is probubly the best whilst i'm bringing the new car upto speed, aslong as there is someone to race against.. but this is the big question.
I suppose it also depends when my car is ready too, but the target date is still for the end of march.

si
Old 17 Jan 2008, 17:39 (Ref:2108183)   #22
chunder
Veteran

England
Stevenage
chunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I think the curfew has a lot to do with things at Lydden, they used to do it for the ERC rounds remember!
I remember the bells tolling at teh church and engines sounding almost immediately!!
Old 17 Jan 2008, 19:13 (Ref:2108232)   #23
WJM
Racer

Netherlands
WJM should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
How do you know the Easter race is spread out over two days? The calendar only shows one. I want to visit British races, but how am I supposed to make plans with these ever changing and faulty calendars
Old 18 Jan 2008, 07:03 (Ref:2108536)   #24
mivec
Racer

Belgium
Belgium
mivec should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by WJM
How do you know the Easter race is spread out over two days? The calendar only shows one. I want to visit British races, but how am I supposed to make plans with these ever changing and faulty calendars
Same here.

For drivers it's better a race over 2 days. For us spectators it's better a race in one day.
Old 18 Jan 2008, 16:46 (Ref:2108883)   #25
The Eye
Racer

Sweden
Sweden
The Eye should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by mivec

For us spectators it's better a race in one day.
Not always. In the SRC final last year Thomas Rådström DNF in heat 1. Not enough time to repair in time for heat 2, DNS. Therefore not qualified for the finals. There is a greater risk for some poor entry in the finals when a tight schedule prevents the teams to repair between the heats.