Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 11 May 2008, 23:29 (Ref:2199595)   #1
Wrex
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne - Home of the Australian GP
Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!
Taking bets - How long does Piquet have?

This is the sort of thread some smart *** like me remembers and drags up when they win a WDC. However at this stage, it's not looking good for the lad.

Kovalainen struggled last year but I don't think he was ever this far from his team mate. While NP is teamed with the great Alonso, he is now a liability for Renault claiming 4th in the constructors championship. His only saving grace being the no. 2's at Toyota, RBR & Williams all seem to be dropping the ball as well.

He may see how the season, but unless he has a massive upturn in performance, this could be his first and last year in F1.
Old 11 May 2008, 23:38 (Ref:2199601)   #2
JeremySmith
Veteran

United Kingdom
Austin Texas
JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!
I don't think he will last the season...
Old 11 May 2008, 23:51 (Ref:2199609)   #3
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
He had a good few opening laps and pulled off a very daring move on the outside of turn 10 to move up a place.But then the mistakes came and he just seemed to go backwards.I don't think that he's WDC material,but I think that Renault know that now.Needs to up his game or it's bye bye F1 or at least bye bye top team.
Old 12 May 2008, 02:23 (Ref:2199664)   #4
Chatters
Veteran

Australia
Radelaide, South Australia
Chatters should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridChatters should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeremySmith
I don't think he will last the season...
And be replaced by Sakon Yamamoto?

God have mercy!

"A lot of people go through life doing things badly. Racing’s important to men who do it well. When you’re racing, it... it’s life. Anything that happens before or after... is just waiting." - Steve McQueen
Old 12 May 2008, 00:01 (Ref:2199611)   #5
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!
He looks all at sea at times, really dont know what he is doing wrong.

I think Monaco might be the make or break for him. At the moment he has gone off I think at every GP at some point.

Monaco, you can't do that.

Monaco DNF = get out of here?
Old 12 May 2008, 00:10 (Ref:2199614)   #6
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I think he will finish the season. If he improves, good for him. If not, just the exit door is open. He has a huge support inside the team to keep him safe until the end, unless he really screws everything.
Old 12 May 2008, 00:46 (Ref:2199625)   #7
willb
Racer

willb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
at the moment he does not appear to be doing all that well. also, with the demise of super aguri davidson and sato may be available as possible replacements.
Old 12 May 2008, 01:15 (Ref:2199631)   #8
Born Racer
Race Official
Veteran

Born Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I think he's looked quick at times and don't think he's as bad as he is often made out to be, but yes, he hasn't usually finished close enough to Alonso. I think he might possibly come good but not that good.
Old 12 May 2008, 02:00 (Ref:2199652)   #9
dsg
Veteran

Thailand
Chonburi
dsg should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddsg should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddsg should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddsg should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I think that if he continues the way he is going, Renault will sit him out for the last few races (with the probable exception of Brazil) to try some new blood.

On that point, is there still a limit on the number of drivers a team may use during the season?
Old 12 May 2008, 03:43 (Ref:2199691)   #10
1200Datto27
Veteran

Australia
Croydon
1200Datto27 has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
I think that he'll be there for as long as Alonso doesn't feel threatened by him.
Old 12 May 2008, 03:58 (Ref:2199696)   #11
Teretonga
Veteran

Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1200Datto27
I think that he'll be there for as long as Alonso doesn't feel threatened by him.
Agree.
He tested with them last year so was a known quantity when he was signed for 2008. He will probably be safe until Alonso leaves at the end of 2009....
Old 12 May 2008, 05:36 (Ref:2199732)   #12
rocketracer
Veteran

Australia
Albert Park
rocketracer should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrocketracer should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
i just think he's trying way too hard at the moment. He appears to be trying to be the "new sensation" in f1, such as hamilton was last year - which is leading to him making a truckload of mistakes, and making him look particularly ordinary. Possibly he will come into his own on the more traditional european circuits that he's more familiar with?

If he keeps his current form past about germany / hungary then i dont think you'd have any other choice than to give the kid a breather, and get someone else to fill the job for the sake of the constructors championship (do you think flav would consider getting JV back again? ) as it looks particularly tight in the midfield battle this year, and renault cant afford to have a deadweight as no.2...

I think more than anything else, it shows just how much the guys in the midfield are busting their chops to get a point or two, due to how strong and competitive the midfield is - and it's a baptism of fire to come in and mix it with season hardened veterans like trulli, alonso, webber, rosberg, coulthard, button & barrichello.
Old 12 May 2008, 05:48 (Ref:2199742)   #13
karimbo
Veteran

Canada
Montreal, Canada
karimbo has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Nelsinho was quite impressive in Formula 3 and was quite good in GP2 as well. Maybe the fact that he did not race last year got him a little rusty.

Will he last the whole season? It depends: if he doesn't improve, if at Monza he is still lagging behind this way and if Romain Grosjean wins the GP2 championship like he did with GP2 Asia, Romain will become Alonso's team mate after the Monza Grand Prix.
Old 12 May 2008, 09:10 (Ref:2199868)   #14
Mr V
Veteran

England
The city of bridges (one day!)
Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrex

Kovalainen struggled last year but I don't think he was ever this far from his team mate.
Well, by this stage of last season, Heikki had scored 3 points and out qualified Fisi twice. Nelsinho has scored zero points and not looked like getting anywhere near Alfonso in quali.

I don't "get" Piquet. Whilst i wouldn't be surprised to see him dropped at the end of the season, he produces some great driving, his overtake on the outside at Turkey was great, but he's just as likely to go off the circuit on the very next lap.
Old 12 May 2008, 10:04 (Ref:2199913)   #15
alonso11
Veteran

Hungary
Budapest
alonso11 has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
his move on Button was pretty much the first time he impressed this season (apart from some occasional hot-laps at tests and practices) ...

if he doesnt improve within the next 4-5 races he has to go, no doubt, BUT I really dont see who could replace him ATM, throwing Grosjean into a water this deep wouldnt seem to be too wise a move.. apart from Verstappen and Albers I really dont know any quality drivers without a drive right now ... seriously tho, who could replace him?
Old 12 May 2008, 10:30 (Ref:2199928)   #16
Ralf's Girl
Veteran

England
London
Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!
One of the problems he has is that Alonso is outperforming the car, making him look worse than he really is. But then, nobody was really expecting him to beat Alonso. How far behind he is must be a bit of a concern, though - Renault aren't likely to get 4th in the WCC relying solely on Alonso putting the car where it perhaps doesn't deserve to be. Their one consolation might be that their rivals currently only have one driver performing well (Webber, Trulli, Rosberg).

Piquet really needs to up his game - I know he's not the finished article, but he's making far too many mistakes and it's costing him very badly.
"The more I see of the world, the more am I dissatisfied with it; every day confirms my belief of the inconsistency of all human characters, and of the little dependence which can be placed on the appearance of either merit or sense." -- Elizabeth Bennet, 'Pride & Prejudice'
Old 12 May 2008, 10:40 (Ref:2199938)   #17
Chiefy
Veteran

Germany
Cottbus, Germany.
Chiefy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Calling for the axe if he hasn't improved after four or five more races is what I call jumping the gun.

Firstly he's got to beat Alonso in a car that's only just starting to look decent. Secondly he's new to F1 racing (nevermind a season of testing; Alex Wurz didn't storm to many big points finishes after years in the T car). If Renault were serious about taking him on then they have to look at how they can help him to improve. Ferrari and Schumacher helped Massa no end.

What about Glock? Is the writing on the wall for him, too?
Old 12 May 2008, 19:04 (Ref:2200391)   #18
Mr V
Veteran

England
Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by alonso11
apart from Verstappen and Albers I really dont know any quality drivers without a drive right now ... seriously tho, who could replace him?
Lmao Verstappen and Albers? Your not Dutch by any chance are you?

How about Ant or Taku for starters.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralf's Girl
Their one consolation might be that their rivals currently only have one driver performing well (Webber, Trulli, Rosberg).

Well, to be fair, Nakajima is only 3 points behind Rosberg.
Old 12 May 2008, 19:53 (Ref:2200425)   #19
Chiefy
Veteran

Germany
Cottbus, Germany.
Chiefy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I thought Albers was driving DTM...

Piquet will just take time to conform, if he's not driving at a suitable standard yet.

It's madness to suggest people need to be replaced already. Piquet's not as dire as some choices (Sakon Yamamoto?) probably would've been.

Besides, if team bosses all talked like this half the grid would be sacked by the French GP. With Sato, Davidson and Liuzzi without race drives (and Verstappen, of course ) there are a few options, though. So I guess it's feasible that someone could be replaced at a later stage.

Personally my money is on Hamilton to leave McLaren to make way for the return of Alain Prost. Who's with me?
Old 12 May 2008, 20:27 (Ref:2200457)   #20
Ralf's Girl
Veteran

England
London
Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr V
Well, to be fair, Nakajima is only 3 points behind Rosberg.
Thanks to some handy retirements - in a normal race where both Ferraris and both McLarens get to the end, Rosberg is the one more likely to be in the points. Not to knock Nakajima, all he can do is drive the car and get it to the end of the race, but he's had some good luck when he's scored points.

Anyway, back to Piquet...I don't think he'll be dropped partway through the season, but Renault might start to question whether they should be keeping him for next season if he doesn't improve over the next few races. But I'm sure Alonso is perfectly happy with the current set-up, which is rather flattering to him, so I suppose it depends on who's wearing the trousers in that team...
"The more I see of the world, the more am I dissatisfied with it; every day confirms my belief of the inconsistency of all human characters, and of the little dependence which can be placed on the appearance of either merit or sense." -- Elizabeth Bennet, 'Pride & Prejudice'
Old 12 May 2008, 22:21 (Ref:2200545)   #21
rocketracer
Veteran

Australia
Albert Park
rocketracer should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrocketracer should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Christian Klien anyone?

the problem with piquet is not his pace - it's his consistency, or more specifically, it's his plethitude of mistakes which are negating any pace he might have - as V said, he pulled off a stunning move in turkey and was just as likely to fall of the track the next lap and need to do it all over again....

In modern f1 with dirty aero and tough overtaking, it's not the way to race very successfully...

i think in the longer term he will learn how to piece a good race weekend together (he will likely do it once or twice this season), and i really think he will be around for a few years in f1 - , but the no-show weekends will be costly for renault this season, and i think there are more competent f1 race drivers out there at the moment.
Old 13 May 2008, 04:19 (Ref:2200671)   #22
Mr V
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralf's Girl
Thanks to some handy retirements - in a normal race where both Ferraris and both McLarens get to the end, Rosberg is the one more likely to be in the points. Not to knock Nakajima, all he can do is drive the car and get it to the end of the race, but he's had some good luck when he's scored points.
Whilst i agree that Nico is (rightfully) the "main man" in the Williams set up, and Nakajima is not WDC material, i believe it's only fair to give him the credit he's due, in Spain he finished ahead of Trulli, Heidfeld and Coulthard to score 2 points ( i know that Nick had a penalty, but his car is more than fast enough to make up the difference).
Old 12 May 2008, 09:56 (Ref:2199910)   #23
JohnSSC
Veteran

Slovenia
Pittsburgh
JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!
He is like a younger Taku only without the raw speed, in that respect V!
"He's still a young guy and I always think, slightly morbidly, the last thing you learn is how to die and at the end of the day everybody learns every single day." - The Ever-Cheerfull Ron Dennis on Lewis Hamilton.
Old 12 May 2008, 10:42 (Ref:2199939)   #24
alonso11
Veteran

Hungary
Budapest
alonso11 has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
yea Glock and Sutil too. definetely. I think by the time they get to Monza two Italians will drive the Force Indias. Not sure who are most likely to replace Glock and Piquet tho
Old 12 May 2008, 12:29 (Ref:2200052)   #25
nycuk
Veteran

England
Banbury, Oxfordshire, England
nycuk should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by alonso11
yea Glock and Sutil too. definetely. I think by the time they get to Monza two Italians will drive the Force Indias. Not sure who are most likely to replace Glock and Piquet tho
I agree.

And if it weren't for the Toyota connection I think Nakajima would be looking for alternative employment - he's just too far from Nico for Frank's sake!