Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 19 Dec 2008, 08:46 (Ref:2358091)   #1
ThaRobster
Rookie

ThaRobster should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
"Time for Bernie to go" - Di Montezemolo

Yesterday, the BBC reported that Luca Di Montezemolo, head of Ferrari and FOTA was unhappy with many of the ways in which Ecclestone operated, that the sport did not need a dictator and sooner or later, Bernie would have to go.

My question to everyone is this: If Bernie were to step down and the F1 contract put up for tender, who do you think would get it (realistically) and who would get it in your ideal world (not necessarily realistic)?

Sorry if this has already been posted, I did read around and couldn't find it, so here's hoping
Old 19 Dec 2008, 09:41 (Ref:2358116)   #2
Smokey 6 litre
Veteran

England
The Total Perspective Vortex
Smokey 6 litre should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think it is time for Bernie to go, For better or for worse he's done whats he's done over the years but it really is time for F1 to look at itself with regards to cost, race callender and promotion of itself.
As Di Montezemolo said, why can't the teams have a say in the race callender, and why have no race in North America because space needs to be made for new countries willing to pay Bernie big bugs to promote their oil fueled economies.
More money for teams, better discussion betweens teams and FIA with regards to all aspects of the sport.
Old 19 Dec 2008, 09:57 (Ref:2358120)   #3
Aloysius
Racer

Aloysius should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
In my mind it's time for Bernie and the whole FOM to go. Chuck out the money grubbers who don't actually care about the sport.
Old 23 Dec 2008, 02:12 (Ref:2359987)   #4
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Couldn't agree more.
Old 23 Dec 2008, 09:08 (Ref:2360064)   #5
Devilsadvocate
Rookie

Devilsadvocate should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
In many respects the Ferrari "extra's" is old news. Did anyone ever read this back in 2005? It's a very interesting article, basically it's a Q&A with Max, that not only suggests and questions the deal Ferrari gets/got but also reveals what is possible, or not, in terms of the teams going their own way...

"The majority of the teams say they should make the rules, not the FIA?
Provided the rules do not compromise safety or fairness this is entirely reasonable and the FIA would almost certainly accept their proposals. The problem is that they frequently fail to agree, leaving the FIA to try to find a compromise. The FIA has never refused a proposal which has the support of all the teams. Indeed, under the Concorde Agreement the teams already make the rules. Technical rules need 8 out of 10 in favour in the Technical Working Group. The FIA does not even have a vote in the Group. Then the proposed rules go to the Formula One Commission, where the teams have 12 votes and the FIA just one.

Are you against the possible manufacturers series which might compete with Formula One from 2008?
No. Part of our deal with the European Commission is that we should be fully prepared to accept and regulate a series in competition with Formula One.

So are you against GPWC or the new manufacturers grouping?
Absolutely not. They, and indeed the teams, are entitled to try to get more money from FOM or from anyone else. That is not our business. Nor is it our business if they fail or even end up with less than is currently on offer. They are also fully entitled to set up their own championship if they wish to. If they can agree on a realistic approach to technical rules, we might even adopt their ideas for the World Championship. The only thing we will not do is agree technical rules for the Formula One World Championship which might make it impossible for a top team to find a competitive engine were it to part company with its current supplier."

It seems to me the main stumbling block for any type of breakaway series was team unity. Currently this isn't a problem. One interesting comment I have read is that despite there being no current Concorde Agreement, the teams have a separate commercial contract with FOM that ties them. Does anybody here know any more on that? I've searched but not found anything to substantiate that claim!

I share duke_toaster's view, and I have said it before too, FOTA are the best people to run the commercial side of things, certainly in the short term. I am now just curious now as to how realistic the opportunity is.
Old 19 Dec 2008, 12:45 (Ref:2358205)   #6
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I agree, the FOM is a paradox within the motorsport.
Old 19 Dec 2008, 13:07 (Ref:2358219)   #7
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThaRobster
According to that page it was actuall Warboat49 of 606 who said that.

I'd like Patrick Head to do it. Except he wouldn't because he is too good for that.
Actually I'd like Bernie to continue as I like the outrage that follows.

Last edited by Adam43; 19 Dec 2008 at 13:10.
Old 19 Dec 2008, 14:39 (Ref:2358272)   #8
ThaRobster
Rookie

ThaRobster should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamAshmore
According to that page it was actuall Warboat49 of 606 who said that.
In my defence I was paraphrasing, the BBC added that 606 quote afterwards. Even so:

I think they'll be looking at how Palmer does with Formula 2. He already runs two successful domestic series (FPA and British Superbikes), F2 should give an indication at how he handles an international series, maybe with a view to stepping up?

It's a tricky question though, I can't think of many people in a position to actually take it on, at least people who have the proper experience.

Theres been a lot of talk recently from the fans about Bernie needing to go as well, but I don't think I've heard any suggestions (apart from Patrick Head above) of who should take over.
Old 19 Dec 2008, 14:48 (Ref:2358275)   #9
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Theres been a lot of talk recently from the fans about Bernie needing to go as well, but I don't think I've heard any suggestions (apart from Patrick Head above) of who should take over.
Since I've been around and even before there's a lot of talk about Bernie needing to leave. The issue is that he doesn't listen to anyone or even care !
Old 19 Dec 2008, 15:48 (Ref:2358300)   #10
old man
Veteran

England
UK
old man should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridold man should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridold man should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Once again we need to think who owns what. Someone please tell me if I am wrong but the FIA own the F1 World Championship and contract the running of that to FOM. FOM in turn own the commercial rights and the contracts with the teams and circuits, set the fees for everything at a circuit on race weekends from who gets to race, who gets to do the TV down to who runs the toilets and Bernie is the CEO who has a minority shareholding in FOM, the majority holding being in the hands of CVC.

So who can change this? CVC can sack Bernie depending on his contract and so bring in another CEO, FIA can sack FOM but only in the certain knowledge that they would have to pay mag-bucks compensation unless they can prove breach of contract, the World Motorsport Council can sack Max, or pass a vote of no confidence.

Anyone trying to run a rival World Championship would need to find circuits willing to forgoe any other form of FIA sanctioned racing and that includes series sanctioned by the National Authorities such as the RAC for example who are themselves part of the FIA

Which do we think will happen? Can Di Montezemolo get all the teams to back a call for Bernie to resign, bit of a long shot at the moment I would have thought

Last edited by old man; 19 Dec 2008 at 15:50.
Old 19 Dec 2008, 16:03 (Ref:2358315)   #11
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
Yes,it looks like the 'Max and Bernie show' is going to run for a while yet.There appears to be no one able or willing to replace either of them.Maybe a classic case of: 'Better the Devil you know.........'.
Old 7 Jan 2009, 16:45 (Ref:2367130)   #12
ghinzani
Race Official
Veteran

ghinzani should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridghinzani should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
I think they'll be looking at how Palmer does with Formula 2. He already runs two successful domestic series (FPA and British Superbikes), F2 should give an indication at how he handles an international series, maybe with a view to stepping up?

Oh God no, hes just as bent as Bernie. From one crook to another. No thanks.. I'd rather put Geoffrey Archer in charge to be honest.
Old 19 Dec 2008, 23:58 (Ref:2358606)   #13
Mekola
Veteran

Kiribati
Atlantis
Mekola should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMekola should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMekola should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid

Quote:
My question to everyone is this: If Bernie were to step down and the F1 contract put up for tender, who do you think would get it (realistically) and who would get it in your ideal world (not necessarily realistic)?
I think Flavio Briatore could fill the role. It's quite suspicious that he wants to leave Renault in two years, seems to be a similar situation when Bernie left his Brabham team to concentrate on FOCA leadership.
Old 20 Dec 2008, 01:02 (Ref:2358626)   #14
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

There you go... more of the same... the guys are even partners in a football team.
Old 20 Dec 2008, 01:49 (Ref:2358640)   #15
JeremySmith
Veteran

United Kingdom
Austin Texas
JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!
So can we close this thread now then?
Old 20 Dec 2008, 03:24 (Ref:2358652)   #16
Peter Ford
Racer

Australia
Adelaide, south Australia
Peter Ford should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Bernie excepts team to do whatever he wants like he wants medals instead of points for the top 3 finishers,it time 4 bernie to go.
Old 20 Dec 2008, 08:39 (Ref:2358695)   #17
mjstallard
Veteran

England
London
mjstallard should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Bernie fires back:

http://planet-f1.com/story/0,18954,3213_4671006,00.html

This could well need its own thread. The mud slinging has begun. Yikes.
Old 20 Dec 2008, 08:43 (Ref:2358697)   #18
mjstallard
Veteran

England
London
mjstallard should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The source of the story is here in The Times:

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/spo...cle5372488.ece

The bit about 'general help' certainly raised my eyebrows.
Old 20 Dec 2008, 10:29 (Ref:2358749)   #19
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
Now showing at Autosport.

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/72546

It has been known for some time that Ferrari are more 'equal' than others.
Old 20 Dec 2008, 10:25 (Ref:2358747)   #20
mattt
Veteran

England
Cambridge
mattt should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridmattt should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Basically Bernie admits F.I.A

Also believe that it would be better in a new thread
Old 20 Dec 2008, 11:49 (Ref:2358777)   #21
Teretonga
Veteran

Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!
Bernie is sharing information that up until now may have been confidential, so he must be ticked off!
We knew Ferrari got more but didn't know how much more....
This is nearly (80 million) equal to the 100 million Mclaren got fined in 2007...

So the fine was possibly a deliberate attempt to kneecap McLaren.It also explains the desire to keep ferrari at the forefront of the points scores, especially the constructors championship, so its no wonder things seem to go Ferrari's way whenever the two are involved. The FIA (and CVC) through the concorde agreement have an arrangement that buys Ferrari's continued participation in the sport.....

So all posturing about leaving is..............what?
Old 20 Dec 2008, 12:09 (Ref:2358787)   #22
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teretonga

So all posturing about leaving is..............what?
Exactly that,just posturing.

I wonder which teams,if any,knew the exact amount that Ferrari were being 'overpaid' ?

Meanwhile...........

http://www.pitpass.com/fes_php/pitpa...s_art_id=36768

Last edited by Marbot; 20 Dec 2008 at 12:17.
Old 20 Dec 2008, 12:20 (Ref:2358795)   #23
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teretonga

So the fine was possibly a deliberate attempt to kneecap McLaren.
This is indeed a championship that only Ferrari are supposed to win.
Old 20 Dec 2008, 16:25 (Ref:2358880)   #24
the sniper
Veteran

European Union
Birmingham
the sniper has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
I was surprised to see Ecclestone's comments this morning, though it's classic Bernie talk. I think he's just reminding everybody that he holds all the cards when it comes to F1. The most surprising thing though is this...

"and all the extra things Ferrari have had for years - the 'general help' they are considered to have had in Formula One,"

Is this not quite a dangerous thing for him to be saying? I await the specialist presses full reaction to this quote, things could get interesting.

Though I like Bernie (as an enigma), I hope CVC fire him and he writes a tell all book, it would be an amazing read.

(I would also say this should should be in a new thread, I don't think we've heard the last of this.)
Old 20 Dec 2008, 17:08 (Ref:2358897)   #25
ECW Dan Selby
Veteran

England
Essex, England
ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by the sniper

Though I like Bernie (as an enigma), I hope CVC fire him and he writes a tell all book, it would be an amazing read.
What a read that would be. You put an idea in my head now lol I would love to read it.

Selby