Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing

View Poll Results: What do you think about the gentleman driver agreement with respect to the RS Spyder
Do you agree with Patrick Peters suggestion to Porsche 5 12.20%
Do you disagree with Patrick Peters suggestion to Porsche 36 87.80%
Voters: 41. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 15 Nov 2007, 13:14 (Ref:2068005)   #1
The Badger
Veteran

The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!
The RS Spyder "Gentleman" story

What do you folks think of the story about Patrick Peter suggesting to Porsche not to sell their chassis to a LMS team who intend to run 2 pro's in the car`?

I think its nothing short of a bloody disgrace !!!
Old 15 Nov 2007, 13:24 (Ref:2068014)   #2
SebringMG
Veteran

United Kingdom
SebringMG should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Agreed absolute disgrace !! What is the difference between someone running an RS Spyder with 2 pros and what Embassy are planning ? In my opinion not a lot!!
Old 15 Nov 2007, 13:28 (Ref:2068019)   #3
AU N EGL
Veteran

United States
Raleigh, North Carolina
AU N EGL should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridAU N EGL should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Porsche should only sell the Spyder to teams that are fully funded and professional drivers, no paid drivers.

Keep the car up front of the field and great for marketing.
Old 15 Nov 2007, 13:27 (Ref:2068017)   #4
minimangler
Veteran

Wales
Leftfield, somewhere.
minimangler should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Shocking, without doubt. I am disgusted. Why should they not be sold the car?

Last edited by minimangler; 15 Nov 2007 at 13:30.
Old 15 Nov 2007, 13:30 (Ref:2068024)   #5
gwyllion
Veteran

Belgium
gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!
Stupid idea. Then LMS shouldn't allow Peugeot to run 2 pros either, etc.
Old 15 Nov 2007, 13:47 (Ref:2068042)   #6
The Badger
Veteran

The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwyllion
Yeah ..... put Nicolas Zarkozy in the car with Minassian !!!
Old 15 Nov 2007, 16:42 (Ref:2068180)   #7
WouterM
Racer

Netherlands
WouterM should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Last time I checked, Peugeot didn't run in the P2 class.
Old 15 Nov 2007, 20:37 (Ref:2068351)   #8
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by WouterM
Quote:
Last time I checked, Peugeot didn't run in the P2 class.
Obviously gwyllion knows this and was making the point that in his opinion if you have such a silly rule then it should be applied to all (classes).
Old 15 Nov 2007, 13:50 (Ref:2068044)   #9
mariantic
Racer

Scotland
Scotland
mariantic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridmariantic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Badger
What do you folks think of the story about Patrick Peter suggesting to Porsche not to sell their chassis to a LMS team who intend to run 2 pro's in the car`?

The story as I saw it:-
http://www.autoweek.com/apps/pbcs.dl...&rssfeed=rss01

is an agreement between LMS boss Patrick Peter and team owner Frans Verschuur. in effect "just one pro and you get an LMS entry, two and you don't". I can't see where Porsche is being requested not to sell to all-pro teams.

Am I missing another story? If so can someone put up a link please.

Mariantic
Old 15 Nov 2007, 13:53 (Ref:2068046)   #10
minimangler
Veteran

Wales
Leftfield, somewhere.
minimangler should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by mariantic
The story as I saw it:-
http://www.autoweek.com/apps/pbcs.dl...&rssfeed=rss01

is an agreement between LMS boss Patrick Peter and team owner Frans Verschuur. in effect "just one pro and you get an LMS entry, two and you don't". I can't see where Porsche is being requested not to sell to all-pro teams.

Am I missing another story? If so can someone put up a link please.

Mariantic
Still, they are hampering Porsche just because they MIGHT be excellent in LMP2. Not fair!
Old 15 Nov 2007, 13:54 (Ref:2068048)   #11
The Badger
Veteran

Ok ..... maybe i got it slightly wrong , but the poll stays the same .

What do think about Peter's suggestion to teams interested in running the RS Spyder .

With all these rubbish rules ..... dont cross the white line , dont hit the bollard and now , dont have 2 top drivers in your Porsche , what is next I wonder ?
Old 15 Nov 2007, 14:08 (Ref:2068064)   #12
Hugewally
Veteran

United States
Largo, FL USA
Hugewally should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Verschuur said: "I have to accept this, even though it is not in the rules. You cannot compare us to Penske in the American Le Mans Series: it is a factory team and we are a true privateer."
Total BS. What's the point of buying & racing a Porsche if what you're basically saying is that you don't want to win. Or is he saying that the LMS teams aren't that good to begin with?
Old 15 Nov 2007, 14:08 (Ref:2068065)   #13
knighty
Veteran

England
Essex
knighty should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridknighty should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
yes, this truly sucks.
Old 15 Nov 2007, 14:12 (Ref:2068067)   #14
The Badger
Veteran

Why should VS have to accept this if it is not in the rules ?

Sounds like a bit of blackmail to me !!!

Should Porsche not step in and say something about this ?
Old 15 Nov 2007, 14:23 (Ref:2068079)   #15
Speed-King
Veteran

Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!
The problem is that the LMS is oversubscribed and they have to accept no team that isn't doing whatever they want. I think there's not much Porsche could do.
Old 15 Nov 2007, 15:11 (Ref:2068112)   #16
The Badger
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speed-King
I think there's not much Porsche could do.
I think there is something Porsche could do ..... but I dont know the law .

Peter is effectivily chaining a lead boot on the RS Spyder . Why should the Porsche name be sullied by potential poor results ?

Also , Porsche could object to the fact that it is only with respect to their product .
Old 15 Nov 2007, 16:42 (Ref:2068183)   #17
JAG
Veteran

England
JAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Badger
Why should VS have to accept this if it is not in the rules ?

Sounds like a bit of blackmail to me !!!

Should Porsche not step in and say something about this ?
Why do you and others throw a fit at this proposal, yet the guy actually running the team have accepted this move?

P2's will have the weight increase in the LMS, they aren't going to be competing for overall wins on pure pace, as they have in the ALMS.

Porsche will be in P1 in a year or two, chill out, there's too much fretting over insignificant, petty issues, rather than looking at the bigger picture.
Old 16 Nov 2007, 07:20 (Ref:2068594)   #18
The Badger
Veteran

[QUOTE=JAG]Why do you and others throw a fit at this proposal, yet the guy actually running the team have accepted this move?QUOTE]

Because it is wrong to try to enforce a rule that does not exist . You obviously like the idea of people making new rules that dont exist .

Teams are there to try their best to win ..... As for the man himself excepting the rule , i suggest that he is not happy but does not seem to have a choice in the matter .

Another reason for "throwing a fit" as you call it ..... because it is my opinion and I am allowed to voice my opinion ..... just like you do !!! Or am I not ?

29 votes to 4 votes looks like your in the minority that seem to agree ..... enjoy your day .
Old 16 Nov 2007, 12:57 (Ref:2068822)   #19
JAG
Veteran

England
JAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
[QUOTE=The Badger]
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAG
Why do you and others throw a fit at this proposal, yet the guy actually running the team have accepted this move?QUOTE]

Because it is wrong to try to enforce a rule that does not exist . You obviously like the idea of people making new rules that dont exist .

Teams are there to try their best to win ..... As for the man himself excepting the rule , i suggest that he is not happy but does not seem to have a choice in the matter .

Another reason for "throwing a fit" as you call it ..... because it is my opinion and I am allowed to voice my opinion ..... just like you do !!! Or am I not ?

29 votes to 4 votes looks like your in the minority that seem to agree ..... enjoy your day .
I don't need to follow the crowd to justify my point of view, too many people make inaccurate, knee jerk, reactions.

The ALMS introduced performance balancing a few years back, despite the fuss, it's been accepted.

In fact the very same people complaining about forcing a Porsche team to run one pro, one amateur pilot, like current, competitive, teams like RML, Bruichladdich Radical etc. welcome the performance balancing that enables these very same RS Spyders to dominate in the ALMS, against genuine, factory, P1 cars.

Performance balancing also helps AER P2's and competitors to GM in GT1 etc.

Porsche have had it all there own way in the US.

Running a full house, unrestricted RS Spyder, with the 'disadvantage' of only one pro driver, which is in the spirit of the class, doesn't appear, in the slightest, grounds for Porsche to threaten to pull out.

Quote:
Then idealy the ACO should have gotten their rules correct in the first place and not try to handycap privateers
They have done, with the 50kg weight increase, another ACO reg the RS Spyders will not have to implement in the US. This is about protecting the P2 field.

Last edited by JAG; 16 Nov 2007 at 12:59.
Old 16 Nov 2007, 13:19 (Ref:2068838)   #20
SebringMG
Veteran

United Kingdom
SebringMG should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAG
In fact the very same people complaining about forcing a Porsche team to run one pro, one amateur pilot, like current, competitive, teams like RML, Bruichladdich Radical etc. welcome the performance balancing that enables these very same RS Spyders to dominate in the ALMS, against genuine, factory, P1 cars.
Not strictly speaking relevant - the only dominant RS Spyders in the ALMS are the Penske (factory) ones, the Dyson privateers do NOT dominate in any way shape or form in fact a decent crewed Zytek was shown to be faster than them at PLM for the most part! The RS Spyders in the LMS are also all due to be privateers, albeit pretty well funded ones!

If the RS Spyder chassis is really that much more dominant than any other P2 chassis (see above) then the customers of the 'inferior' chassis should be forcing their manufacturers to pull their finger out and re-design their own products NOT wait for the ACO to sort it for them.

I would have no problem if the ACO/LMS came out and said all teams in P2 to be pro-am in nature (like GT3 i suppose), what annoys me is hindering one particular chassis over another with this requirement. Either blanket pro-am for ALL teams or allow teams to choose for themselves......
Old 16 Nov 2007, 15:06 (Ref:2068926)   #21
paul-collins
Veteran

Canada
Mosport on a good day
paul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridpaul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridpaul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAG

What balancing is that?

Seriously.

Penske beat Audi Sport NA using ACO rules compliant cars.

The only "performance adjustment" in the second half of the season, when Penske dominated, was the fuel rig for the diesels being raised (to allow Audi to refuel faster).

... as to the balancing of turbo vs normally aspirated cars, I think IMSA is acting on data that shows that the ACO restrictor/boost tables are wrong for P2 engines. It's not about helping one team or another, it's about getting the balance right so choices become neutral based on technical merit.

Anyway, I think it's a red herring to force one team - using a rules compliant car - to tie an anchor on so that all other teams - with rules compliant cars - can keep up.
... Since all men live in darkness, who believes something is not a test of whether it is true or false. I have spent years trying to get people to ask simple questions: What is the evidence, and what does it mean?

-Bill James
Old 17 Nov 2007, 07:00 (Ref:2069382)   #22
Bentley03
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Bentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAG
Why do you and others throw a fit at this proposal, yet the guy actually running the team have accepted this move?
Accepted, yes, but very reluctantly!
Old 15 Nov 2007, 14:55 (Ref:2068101)   #23
paul-collins
Veteran

Canada
Mosport on a good day
paul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridpaul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridpaul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
If they want to run pro drivers, we'll take them in the ALMS.
... Since all men live in darkness, who believes something is not a test of whether it is true or false. I have spent years trying to get people to ask simple questions: What is the evidence, and what does it mean?

-Bill James
Old 15 Nov 2007, 15:22 (Ref:2068117)   #24
Spyderman
Veteran

Mozambique
Mozambique
Spyderman should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpyderman should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpyderman should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpyderman should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
A complete and utter disgrace!
Unfortunately it is people with these type of ideas that are often governing our sport.
Old 15 Nov 2007, 16:05 (Ref:2068140)   #25
TWK
Veteran

TWK should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridTWK should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Do we really need to know any more about why LMS events don't draw flies?

There is a real difference between glorified club racing and the kinds of events that fans will pay money to attend.

Historics are a class of their own because it's not really a "race" that attendees are going to, but an exhibition.

LMS and Grand Am have the same philosophy: Provide a place that wealthy people can race their cars. (I believe Peter has a history of this kind of event.)

Unfortunately, the two objective are fundimentally in conflict. Sports fans (all sports) want to see real competition between the best there is. They can't get that if rules conspire against it, and when they see something like this, well, they aren't stupid. They'll continue to "stay away in droves."
Closed Thread