Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 26 Oct 2012, 18:58 (Ref:3158160)   #1
MarkG
Veteran

MarkG has a real shot at the podium!MarkG has a real shot at the podium!MarkG has a real shot at the podium!MarkG has a real shot at the podium!
It's building up...

to be a real anti-climax.
The two best drivers, Alonso & Hamilton, again beaten to the Championship by the fourth best driver, (Raikkonen being the 3rd) who has the best car, and has had for the last three years. Only tyres (up until recently)have prevented a Red Bull rout this year.
Old 26 Oct 2012, 20:45 (Ref:3158207)   #2
Purist
Veteran

United States
Wichita, Kansas, USA
Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!
I do wish people would stop giving Vettel crap and just chocking it up to it only being the car. He certainly did NOT have the best car out there when he scored his first points, or when he kept it clean and clear in the wet 2008 Italian Grand Prix. He certainly didn't back down from Alonso last year at Monza. And the team still have to tell have, often to no avail, that he might want to not set so many fast laps. He is still very driven, and he shows it, which is certainly worth admiration and respect, especially for a driver who is not as seasoned as several of his prime competitors. He keeps pushing, but does NOT have a reputation for frequently throwing it off the road.

Hamilton has been far more prone to bonehead moves on the whole, and has become rather unpleasant in some respects. He was also just STUPID to lie to the stewards about what happened under that Safety Car in Australia. He's been particularly short with his crew over the radio, and for the last couple years, has come across as kind of whiny and annoying. His rapport with the team has been visibly breaking down for quite some time. He also hasn't had the consistency in his driving, certainly this year, and perhaps somewhat last year also.

Raikkonen is just harder to get a read on. He's not as "in your face" as some of the others, and hasn't run away with any races this year thus far. He does plug along there steadily though, and gets everything he reasonably can out of each race.

For Alonso, i can accept that he has had less than the best equipment in some seasons. However, I also think he has been too single-minded in the wrong ways, and not taken advantage of some good opportunities. He also blew a very good thing at McLaren there in 2007. Singapore 2008 did still more damage. Alonso just hasn't quite put together a full season this year, and admittedly, wasn't helped at Spa or Suzuka. Of course, one should remember that Vettel has had the car break on him twice this year, so the DNF count is about the same. It's a bit amusing to see Massa so hard on Alonso's tail now. I hope this extended challenge from his German rival helps to temper Alonso a bit.

I'm not sure what the story is with Button's inconsistency this year. I think Perez may be the real force at McLaren next year.

Grosjean needs tempering, but he has the raw pace, no question. It's strange though, he was very good in the GT1 Ford (frighteningly so in some cases). It's almost as if this year he's been overestimating the capabilities of F1 cars after being in those other categories for a couple seasons. And before everyone jumps on Grosjean, there were opening lap incidents about which he could have done nothing, practically speaking (Monaco for instance). Besides, for all the crap he's gotten, where the heck is all the ire for the bad moves made by Maldonado and Kobayashi?! I mean, I could understand (though not necessarily agree with) the criticism put on Romain, IF people would be even-handed and extend the same toward Pastor and Kamui.
Old 1 Nov 2012, 23:03 (Ref:3161290)   #3
Born Racer
Race Official
Veteran

Born Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Purist View Post
I do wish people would stop giving Vettel crap and just chocking it up to it only being the car.
With the title slipping away from their darling, Spanish media are now doing this of course, with the word Vettel substituted by Newey now. Pretty funny and the mark of a poor loser.
Old 1 Nov 2012, 23:05 (Ref:3161292)   #4
wnut
Veteran

wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Born Racer View Post
With the title slipping away from their darling, Spanish media are now doing this of course, with the word Vettel substituted by Newey now. Pretty funny and the mark of a poor loser.
Wonder how much Ferrari are offering Newey to join them!

Clean out the Vatican and let him move in?
Old 3 Nov 2012, 17:31 (Ref:3161948)   #5
garcon
Veteran

Antarctica
Wilmslow, Cheshire
garcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
So let me get this straight.

Alonso is a poor loser because of the jingoistic campaigns of the Spanish media?

So does the nonsense spouted by the British media make Hamilton a bad loser?

Old 3 Nov 2012, 17:35 (Ref:3161949)   #6
Born Racer
Race Official
Veteran

Born Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Okay, get it straight; I didn't say it made Alonso a sore loser, but the Spanish media. I speak Spanish and can say I don't see such jingoistic UK media as widespread as in Spain. Ayesedasi, nice avatar. Really. I know you love that finger.
Old 3 Nov 2012, 17:45 (Ref:3161953)   #7
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Okay, get it straight; I didn't say it made Alonso a sore loser, but the Spanish media. I speak Spanish and can say I don't see such jingoistic UK media as widespread as in Spain. Ayesedasi, nice avatar. Really. I know you love that finger.

Absolutely, but it works soooo much better as a courgette.......
Old 3 Nov 2012, 20:03 (Ref:3162000)   #8
garcon
Veteran

Antarctica
Wilmslow, Cheshire
garcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Okay, get it straight; I didn't say it made Alonso a sore loser, but the Spanish media. I speak Spanish and can say I don't see such jingoistic UK media as widespread as in Spain.

Just thought I'd give you the chance to clarify a potentially misleading point.

I don't speak Spanish, but I do get the impression their sports media is even worse than ours.
Old 26 Oct 2012, 22:50 (Ref:3158260)   #9
formerf1champ
Veteran

Australia
Vettel's gearbox preparing bench
formerf1champ should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkG View Post
The two best drivers, Alonso & Hamilton, again beaten to the Championship by the fourth best driver, (Raikkonen being the 3rd) who has the best car, and has had for the last three years. Only tyres (up until recently)have prevented a Red Bull rout this year.
I would put Raikkonen just behind Alonso and ahead of Hamilton, but this is a quality OP. Well done!
Old 26 Oct 2012, 23:11 (Ref:3158265)   #10
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Wow, who can stop us from seeing the finger boy doing it again ??
Old 26 Oct 2012, 23:36 (Ref:3158270)   #11
JeremySmith
Veteran

United Kingdom
Austin Texas
JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!
I have sold my ticket to our Grand Prix, what's the point................
Old 27 Oct 2012, 00:00 (Ref:3158277)   #12
wnut
Veteran

wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeremySmith View Post

Watch a truly great craftsman at work!

Seb Vettel (Fingerman) for WDC!
Old 29 Oct 2012, 14:38 (Ref:3159563)   #13
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
There must have been a 'point' to the 1988 season?

*Jeremy checks avatar*

It's Vettel vs Alonso, and they're in two different cars.

F1 has just become very 'bad' for some.
Old 29 Oct 2012, 15:06 (Ref:3159575)   #14
Mr V
Veteran

England
The city of bridges (one day!)
Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marbot View Post
There must have been a 'point' to the 1988 season?

*Jeremy checks avatar*
I assume/hope that Jeremy was actually joking !
Old 29 Oct 2012, 15:16 (Ref:3159578)   #15
JeremySmith
Veteran

United Kingdom
Austin Texas
JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr V View Post
I was just joking guys, all in all its been a great season IMHO...
Old 29 Oct 2012, 15:58 (Ref:3159610)   #16
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
I assumed/hoped that he was doing that too. Why on earth would he want to sell his ticket.

Yes, the competition has effectively been narrowed down to just two drivers. Nothing new about that.
Old 29 Oct 2012, 16:19 (Ref:3159626)   #17
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marbot View Post
Nothing new about that.
nothing new with that or nothing wrong with it either imo.

expectations have been raised to high. its old ground but part of that is the fault of the rules and the expectation that each and every GP should be the greatest thing ever.

tbh, im actually surprised more people dont agree with the original poster.
Old 27 Oct 2012, 00:03 (Ref:3158279)   #18
BSchneiderFan
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
I assume this is a wind-up/trolling exercise?
Old 27 Oct 2012, 11:30 (Ref:3158422)   #19
QnickFTW
Racer

QnickFTW should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by BSchneiderFan View Post
Im glad some1 has noticed it. Its pretty much drunken football fan talk with a generous splash of trolling, good for a laugh, but substantial discussions are taking place elsewhere in this forum and not in this thread I feel.
Old 27 Oct 2012, 14:04 (Ref:3158485)   #20
JeremySmith
Veteran

United Kingdom
Austin Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by QnickFTW View Post
Im glad some1 has noticed it. Its pretty much drunken football fan talk with a generous splash of trolling, good for a laugh, but substantial discussions are taking place elsewhere in this forum and not in this thread I feel.
We noticed it don't worry...
Old 27 Oct 2012, 14:39 (Ref:3158509)   #21
MarkG
Veteran

MarkG has a real shot at the podium!MarkG has a real shot at the podium!MarkG has a real shot at the podium!MarkG has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by QnickFTW View Post

wasn't intended to be a windup, just an expression of disappointment, but it's obviously wound up some of you Vettel fanboys. My reaction to that is a bit like I imagine Kimi's would be.
I'll admit I'm biased because I don't think Vettel is a truly great driver.
Old 28 Oct 2012, 14:44 (Ref:3159008)   #22
W.A Trichlorostyrene
Veteran

W.A Trichlorostyrene should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
wasn't intended to be a windup, just an expression of disappointment, but it's obviously wound up some of you Vettel fanboys. My reaction to that is a bit like I imagine Kimi's would be.
I'll admit I'm biased because I don't think Vettel is a truly great driver.
Time for you to switch to one of today's many spec series?

Personally I am not a Vettel/Red Bull fan and I probably never will be, but I have to admit that the best package(driver AND chassis/engine/team/etc) is winning right now, so I can't complain.

When things get too dull(and they've been during the last few races I have to say), I just use the "don't like it/don't watch it" philosophy, and get my racing fix elsewhere. Plenty of other good series around.
Old 28 Oct 2012, 10:50 (Ref:3158942)   #23
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by BSchneiderFan View Post

I don't think so - the OP expressed an opinion. Some will agree with him.......
Old 27 Oct 2012, 05:06 (Ref:3158320)   #24
Mr V
Veteran

England
The city of bridges (one day!)
Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
According to the BBCF1 "experts", Vettel is the 8th greatest F1 driver ever in F1, 2 places ahead of Alonso, 7 ahead of Hamilton, Raikkonen doesn't make the top 20. Are they right? Who know's. That's their opinion, just as you have yours. What was that DC said about opinions being like ********s?
Old 27 Oct 2012, 08:15 (Ref:3158353)   #25
formerf1champ
Veteran

Australia
Vettel's gearbox preparing bench
formerf1champ should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
According to the BBCF1 "experts",
I like the use of quotation marks.

Quote:
Vettel is the 8th greatest F1 driver ever in F1, 2 places ahead of Alonso, 7 ahead of Hamilton, Raikkonen doesn't make the top 20. Are they right? Who know's.
I know, and the answer is a resounding "No"!

Quote:
That's their opinion, just as you have yours. What was that DC said about opinions being like ********s?
Did DC say that to deflect criticisms of his performances?