Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 25 Nov 2004, 23:23 (Ref:1164427)   #1
PaulSands
Veteran

England
Grantham
PaulSands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridPaulSands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
BAR Test F3 Stars

According to Autosport
http://www.autosport.com/newsitem.asp?id=40920&s=5
Adam Carroll, James Rossiter , Nelson Piquet, Nico Roseberg anfd 5 other F3 & F3000 drivers were evaluated by BAR last week with an eye to a testing role in 2005. Wonder why no Jamie Green or Gary Paffet??
Old 26 Nov 2004, 04:14 (Ref:1164540)   #2
Raglanparade
Veteran

Australia
Raglanparade should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Because Paffer is under contract to Mercedes in DTM isnt he?? it probably means he isnt allowed to test in f1 for any team other then McLaren.
Old 26 Nov 2004, 09:04 (Ref:1164621)   #3
darcym
Veteran

darcym should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
when did these guys tested ?

Or does evaluated mean not sat in the car - on paper only.
Old 26 Nov 2004, 09:11 (Ref:1164630)   #4
climb
Veteran

St Pierre and Miquelon
closer than you thought!
climb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridclimb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
About Jami, same reason as Paffet's
Old 26 Nov 2004, 09:17 (Ref:1164637)   #5
Gaz
Veteran

United Kingdom
Northwich, UK
Gaz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Jamie Green was selected but declined the invitation apparently. Makes me think he's probably already got something lined up Mercedes wise somewhere.

They were all tested last week, secretely. They were tried out for fitness, PR etc and they had to demonstrate their driving skills in road cars. BAR were then going to select which drivers they would like to test properly and those drivers should have been informed by Tuesday just gone but I've heard no more.

I think its a great idea of promoting obvious talent and giving some of the underfunded drivers like Adam Carroll a chance he may not previously have had.
Old 26 Nov 2004, 09:24 (Ref:1164642)   #6
Bobie
Racer

Bobie should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
When will Jamie Green have his Mclaren test from the award he received.

I think giving Rossiter and Carrol a BAR or any F1 test just yet would be a mistake, too much of a jump in my opinion.
Old 26 Nov 2004, 09:30 (Ref:1164648)   #7
Gaz
Veteran

United Kingdom
Northwich, UK
Jamie Green and Alex Lloyd are set to have their McLaren F1 tests in the next couple of weeks I'm led to believe.

Why would it be too early to put Adam Carroll in an F1 car? He's got more experience than Kimi Raikkonen had and more experience than most of the other F3 drivers that BAR named and you havn't pulled out! James Rossiter - you may have a point on him but he's undoubtedly got the most raw talent out of this group.
Old 26 Nov 2004, 09:50 (Ref:1164666)   #8
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I suspect BAR will add at least 1 of these to their roster of young drivers, and it may be that the second driver for Midland F1 comes from this roster.
Old 26 Nov 2004, 09:53 (Ref:1164668)   #9
Gaz
Veteran

United Kingdom
Northwich, UK
I think the second Midland F1 seat will go to an ex-Carlin man...

Look no further than a James Courtney or Anthony Davidson (if available)
Old 26 Nov 2004, 10:13 (Ref:1164682)   #10
Bobie
Racer

Green and Lloyd shoudl be an interesting test with Mclaren, I expect Lloyd will be the quicker of the two
Old 26 Nov 2004, 10:27 (Ref:1164695)   #11
Gaz
Veteran

United Kingdom
Northwich, UK
Never bobie, Green is the best talent to come out of the UK since Jenson! Did you not see the way he demolished the Euroseries this year?

Lloyd is good, don't get me wrong, but he doesn't have that extra little bit. This was proven by the fact he didn't exactly blow a very poor Euro F3000 field away after he joined halfway through this year, despite driving for the best team in JVA. He is talented though but he is second rate to the Green's, Hamilton's and Carroll's of this world!
Old 26 Nov 2004, 10:35 (Ref:1164705)   #12
Bobie
Racer

You are wrong there GAZ, Lloyd did blow away the competition. JVA had technical problems for most of hsi races and poor reliability.

When these factors were nto there Lloyd was the man to watch, exciting on the track and dominated practice, and qualifying, always top of teh time sheets.

When they have the Mclaren tests you will see I am right (I hope) and if I am wrong I will eat my words.

I really rate Green, however I have never been a Hamilton fan, Carrol could be very very good in the right championship so I hope he does GP2.
Old 26 Nov 2004, 10:40 (Ref:1164707)   #13
Shunt the Hunt
Racer

France
Paris
Shunt the Hunt should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Bobie
When will Jamie Green have his Mclaren test from the award he received.

I think giving Rossiter and Carrol a BAR or any F1 test just yet would be a mistake, too much of a jump in my opinion.
I agree for Rossiter. But Carroll spent three seasons in F3. He needs to move up. And I think he has the maturity.
Old 26 Nov 2004, 10:42 (Ref:1164711)   #14
Shunt the Hunt
Racer

France
Paris
Quote:
Originally posted by climb
About Jami, same reason as Paffet's
That's not the reason because Alex Premat has a 4-years-contract with Mercedes too. But he said he can break it whenever he wants if a F1 team wants to hire him.
Old 26 Nov 2004, 10:48 (Ref:1164717)   #15
Bobie
Racer

I rate Carrol but GP2 is his next step then F1 test driver.

Carrol, Lloyd and Green will be an asset to any team in test roles and will be good in GP2 if they go that way.
Old 26 Nov 2004, 11:32 (Ref:1164744)   #16
toot toot
Racer

toot toot should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Shunt the Hunt
That's not the reason because Alex Premat has a 4-years-contract with Mercedes too. But he said he can break it whenever he wants if a F1 team wants to hire him.

To be fair though is there an F1 team out there who would seriously consider the volitile Premat?
Old 26 Nov 2004, 11:35 (Ref:1164746)   #17
toot toot
Racer

toot toot should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Shunt the Hunt
To be honest though is there an F1 team out there who would consider the volatile Premat?

And i believe that Green did not test because BAR offered him a test alone then changed the stakes to a shoot out with other drivers so he declined the offer.

Last edited by toot toot; 26 Nov 2004 at 11:36.
Old 26 Nov 2004, 11:59 (Ref:1164756)   #18
Gaz
Veteran

United Kingdom
Northwich, UK
Quote:
Originally posted by Bobie
You are wrong there GAZ, Lloyd did blow away the competition. JVA had technical problems for most of hsi races and poor reliability.

When these factors were nto there Lloyd was the man to watch, exciting on the track and dominated practice, and qualifying, always top of teh time sheets.

When they have the Mclaren tests you will see I am right (I hope) and if I am wrong I will eat my words.

I really rate Green, however I have never been a Hamilton fan, Carrol could be very very good in the right championship so I hope he does GP2.
I'm not saying Lloyd isn't a good driver but that F3000 series was shockingly poor. You won't see any of those drivers in F1 at any point ever, mark my words!

Green has been in car racing three years - has finished runner-up in highly competitive championships in both his rookie years and blown away a very strong Euroseries field this season.

Lloyd had an average first couple of seasons in car racing then finished runner-up to Hamilton (who you don't rate apparently) in Renault before doing an OK job in 3000. To me he has yet to prove he has what it takes to cut it at the top, Green has.

I don't think they'll be a great deal in it, perhaps half a second, but Green just has that extra dimension that Lloyd doesn't have.
Old 26 Nov 2004, 12:07 (Ref:1164760)   #19
DavidStHubbins
Veteran

United Kingdom
DavidStHubbins should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Lloyd has been in some pretty **** teams in the past though! THat makes a real difference. Stop being controversial Gaz... I know you are begging for another Courtney-Kerr debate
Old 26 Nov 2004, 13:22 (Ref:1164828)   #20
Gaz
Veteran

United Kingdom
Northwich, UK
I'd hardly say Motaworld were a s**t team, they won the Formula Renault title in 2002 with Carl Breeze!

I don't think its controversial to say I think Green is better than Lloyd, the facts at this present moment in time back that up!

And just as you mention Robbie Kerr and s**t teams etc, look at ADR, they did nothing really upto Robbie arriving, won the title with him and have done nothing since, including a pre-season running Lloyd where he was miles off the pace. Is it me or is that just coincidental and shows how damn good a job Robbie did to mould that team into a championship winning article? Its a travesty he aint on that list of tested drivers as well
Old 26 Nov 2004, 13:45 (Ref:1164850)   #21
Shunt the Hunt
Racer

France
Paris
Quote:
Originally posted by toot toot
To be fair though is there an F1 team out there who would seriously consider the volitile Premat?
Why not ? Nico Risberg is far more versatile than Premat (see the last Macao GP) and he already tested for Williams... Liuzzi wasn't considered as a model of consistency in 2002 when he got his first F1 test with Williams alongside Pantano.
Old 26 Nov 2004, 13:49 (Ref:1164852)   #22
Shunt the Hunt
Racer

France
Paris
Actually the game is over. According to Premat, BAR will only test Nico Rosberg& Nelsinho Piquet...

...for those who can read French, click he : http://www.galaxie-f1.com/index.php?...1&NumPanneau=1

Obviously, Premat should have been named Alexandre "Prost" and Carroll, Adam "Mansell" to get a test with BAR.

Last edited by Shunt the Hunt; 26 Nov 2004 at 13:49.
Old 26 Nov 2004, 14:08 (Ref:1164869)   #23
Mekola
Veteran

Kiribati
Atlantis
Mekola should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMekola should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMekola should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Re: BAR Test F3 Stars

Quote:
Originally posted by PaulSands
According to Autosport
http://www.autosport.com/newsitem.asp?id=40920&s=5
Adam Carroll, James Rossiter , Nelson Piquet, Nico Roseberg anfd 5 other F3 & F3000 drivers were evaluated by BAR last week with an eye to a testing role in 2005. Wonder why no Jamie Green or Gary Paffet??
It's important to add that José MarÃ*a López was present too in these BAR evaluations two weeks ago and he is too considered by them for a testing role. López wants to join BAR as a test driver but he doubts it will happen because Renault is inclined to retain him in its structure (although he would still be a Renault driver loaned to BAR if he entered in Brackley team).
It was rumoured that Kovalainen was present on these tests too but López himself said to his fans group that he didn't see the Finnish driver when he did the tests with the other candidates.
Old 26 Nov 2004, 14:56 (Ref:1164913)   #24
Gaz
Veteran

United Kingdom
Northwich, UK
Absolutely shocking! What a complete, total and utter waste of what was a very positive, encouraging, project!

Rosberg is nothing special, at all in the slightest as he proved this year. And personally I don't rate Piquet either, the arrogant little, sod's going to find it tough when he eventually makes the big league trust me!

What a joke! BAR - Sort it out!

It should have been a project to allow some of the lesser names a chance. Drivers such as Carroll and co are huge on talent and deserve a chance like this more than the Piquet's and Rosberg's of this world who will waltz into F1 whatever due to their names alone.

I hope they both have nightmare tests just to show BAR how much of a balls up they've made. I wonder if the score would have been different if DR had still been there?
Old 26 Nov 2004, 15:09 (Ref:1164923)   #25
DavidStHubbins
Veteran

United Kingdom
DavidStHubbins should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Gaz
I'd hardly say Motaworld were a s**t team, they won the Formula Renault title in 2002 with Carl Breeze!

I never said they were, I was talking about the one before that!