Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Barn Finds > IRL Indycar Series

Old 26 Jul 2005, 21:11 (Ref:1364110)   #1
luke
Veteran

England
West Sussex, England
luke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridluke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Manning fired

indystar

Quote:
Darren Manning, one of the Indy Racing League drivers struggling this season with Indianapolis-based Ganassi Racing, was fired today.
Quote:
A replacement driver was not immediately named. It's possible the team will only run two cars at this weekend's race at Michigan International Speedway.
So could we see him back in Champ Car?
Old 26 Jul 2005, 21:20 (Ref:1364121)   #2
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I think it's more likely he'll head back to Europe and sportscar racing.

His American dream's turned rather sour.

The ironic thing is he was probably the best performing of Chip's drivers this year!
Old 27 Jul 2005, 06:23 (Ref:1364343)   #3
climb
Veteran

St Pierre and Miquelon
closer than you thought!
climb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridclimb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kicking-back

The ironic thing is he was probably the best performing of Chip's drivers this year!
Talking about "best" in this Ganassi disaster in not less ironic, either

Its always sad when a driver is released, but I sort of think he was wasting time at Ganassi.
Old 26 Jul 2005, 21:22 (Ref:1364123)   #4
luke
Veteran

England
West Sussex, England
luke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridluke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Yeah I agree he was probably the best driver at Ganassi this year. So Chip was serious when he said the next car that is crashed your fired!
Old 26 Jul 2005, 22:45 (Ref:1364201)   #5
Snrub
Veteran

Canada
London, Ontario, Canada
Snrub should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSnrub should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
What the heck?!? Big mistake Chip. Perhaps Chip is frustrated by his team's lack of performance and is taking it out on a driver who tried to get every ounce that the car had to offer.

I suspect that you won't see Manning racing for the rest of the year, but I wouldn't be surprised if you see him on an IRL or Champ Car team for next year. If I had one and was looking to hire he'd be at or near the top of my list.

So Ganassi said that if he crashed again he was fired? It is odd, in 2003 he didn't break a single peice of the car at Walker racing because there simply weren't the funds available to replace it. Despite that he was quiet fast. Since joining the IRL he seems to have had a number of crashes. He was sort of like Scheckter II.
Old 26 Jul 2005, 22:53 (Ref:1364212)   #6
BSchneiderFan
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!
Ganassi has done this before with Nic Minassian, and I think that move was as foolish as this one. Manning hasn't been as good as some might have hoped, but this is silly. Silly, premature and demonstrating a lack of faith.
Old 26 Jul 2005, 23:58 (Ref:1364246)   #7
cos
Veteran

England
cos should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by BSchneiderFan
Manning hasn't been as good as some might have hoped, but this is silly.
It's the team that hasn't been as good as hoped - less than 2 years ago Dixon was cruising to the title and now look at them... 'firing' their best driver of the season
Old 27 Jul 2005, 01:09 (Ref:1364272)   #8
rush1
Veteran

rush1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Thats a shame. Manning is a good driver and seems like a real nice guy. Hopefully someone will pick him up as Scheckter was.
Old 27 Jul 2005, 02:17 (Ref:1364287)   #9
D.R.T.
Veteran

D.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridD.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Awful news. Very shortsighted by Chip and I wonder what the motive was behind this.

Manning was my favourite driver in IRL and has been battling away all season. What will the future hold for Manning and Gannasi.
Old 27 Jul 2005, 06:31 (Ref:1364348)   #10
mountainstar
Veteran

United States
mountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I think the motive was budgetary. They now have the excuse to run only 2 cars. briscoe is toyota's boy and dixon a former champion, so manning was the odd man out.

It's known Manning jumped to the IRL for the money and I can't blame him as I know how hard he had it for several years. But really what he was doing there other than that I don't know. I would expect several champ car teams to take a look at him for next year.
Old 27 Jul 2005, 17:39 (Ref:1364858)   #11
Snrub
Veteran

Canada
London, Ontario, Canada
Snrub should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSnrub should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainstar
It's known Manning jumped to the IRL for the money and I can't blame him as I know how hard he had it for several years.
I really think Manning was looking for stability. Towards the end of the 2003 Champ Car season he was pushing for firm contracts, something no one was offering.

Given that Manning was running in ASCAR before CC and IRL, why is it suggested that he'd be looking for a GP2 driver? (I'm not that up on Manning's current press statements, etc)

Ganassi was taking a good look at RHR. Given his struggles at Rocketsports, a good paying job and a slightly better car at Ganassi looks like a pretty nice situation...
Old 27 Jul 2005, 08:14 (Ref:1364402)   #12
marcus
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Australia
marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!
wow , didnt see this one coming.

I would have thought they would be talking to Dixon about his performances this year not Darren.

A huge shame for him i guess , i hope he can pick something else up this year or at least concentrate on getting back full time in any series next year.

also maybe now with just having 2 cars to concentrate on Ganassi might be able to make some improvements perhaps ??

Maybe running 3 cars was just a bit much for them to take on (I doubt it as they are a quality team , but you never know).

Bad luck darren and all the best in the future
Old 27 Jul 2005, 08:25 (Ref:1364409)   #13
tanalised
Veteran

New Zealand
new zealand
tanalised should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
maybe they should've fired scott. God knows what he's doiung this year, doesn't even look interested at all...
Old 27 Jul 2005, 08:34 (Ref:1364420)   #14
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I'd be amazed if a replacement driver is picked, unless it's a pay-driver. Slimming back to 2 cars would make some sense, and the fact is that Mannign doesn't have the sponsorship potential of Dixon or the backing of Briscoe, and a driver who's trying wrecks more cars than a driver who seemingly isn't. The chance of an opening emerging for this eyar is slim, as I doubt he'll be first choice as a replacement, but it might be wise for OWRS to get on the phone to him and try to secure him for themselves long-term, maybe even running an extra PKV entry to accomodate him.
Old 27 Jul 2005, 08:37 (Ref:1364423)   #15
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
OWRS already has a British driver (Wilson) on the grid, and another in storage (Dalziel).

I'm not sure there's any value in them going out of their way to fund Manning.
Old 27 Jul 2005, 09:43 (Ref:1364476)   #16
Down F0rce
Veteran

Scotland
Aberdeenshire, Scotland
Down F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Well thats a bit rubbish. If they were going to sack anyone it should have been Dixon. At least Manning was trying.

I doub't we'll see Manning back in IRL or the other series. He'll be gunning for a GP2 drive I'll bet, maybe even an F1 test role.
Old 27 Jul 2005, 12:22 (Ref:1364620)   #17
climb
Veteran

St Pierre and Miquelon
closer than you thought!
climb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridclimb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Scott's been even worse than Danny, but he hasn'd had all those crashes.
Chip must be fed up with spending money to replace crashed cars.
Old 27 Jul 2005, 13:28 (Ref:1364673)   #18
Mystery
Veteran

Jersey
Jersey
Mystery should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridMystery should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
How would they know they're too busy watching Danica? In fact how would any of us know because if the last race was anything to go by there was hardly anyone else circulating out there apart from her, until she hit the wall anyway
Old 27 Jul 2005, 12:32 (Ref:1364632)   #19
Kicking-back
Veteran

Briscoe's the crasher.

Manning hasn't crashed very often
Old 27 Jul 2005, 12:51 (Ref:1364641)   #20
luke
Veteran

England
West Sussex, England
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kicking-back
Briscoe's the crasher.

Manning hasn't crashed very often
Try telling that to the international commentaters.
Old 27 Jul 2005, 13:35 (Ref:1364684)   #21
F1_KING
Rookie

Australia
F1 WORLD
F1_KING has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
briscoe is going well for his rookie year. he is not far behind his two team mates in points and is second in the rookie of the year.
Old 27 Jul 2005, 14:26 (Ref:1364712)   #22
trevisio
Racer

United Kingdom
In my house
trevisio should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
So why were Chips cars so good they made Dixon look good? Where has the performance gone?

Snap decision making to fire a driver is a sure sign that questions are being asked by those paying the bills.

Classic scapegoat behaviour, "the car is slow lets fire a driver". For further reference see Stewart GP (Ford) F1 team history.
Old 27 Jul 2005, 15:22 (Ref:1364744)   #23
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Briscoe's crashed less than Danica, and no more than any other promising rookie - especially one with no oval experience. I think the main motivation for scaling back is cost-cutting - there's no value in running 3 cars when you're not competitive, and he's probably feeling like it's time to scale back before considering what to do for 2006 (and that may not invovle IRL).
Old 27 Jul 2005, 15:53 (Ref:1364771)   #24
Kicking-back
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by BootsOntheSide
Briscoe's crashed less than Danica, and no more than any other promising rookie - especially one with no oval experience.

Not true.

Danica has crashed very rarely this season.

Briscoe's crashed multiple times in practice, qualifying and in races.

I'll go and dig out the figures if I have to!
Old 27 Jul 2005, 18:00 (Ref:1364891)   #25
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
What a stupid decision.

I have a lot of respect for Chip ganassi and his organisation, but this is a move so dumb it is indescribable.

Manning is their leading points scorer and most convincing driver. As opposed to Dixon who looks unmotivated and uninterested and Briscoe who has been under par mostly.

Oh dear.