Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 16 Jan 2006, 14:16 (Ref:1502383)   #1
Zoidberg
Rookie

Zoidberg should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
F1 back to Donington please!

What are the chances that F1 may one day return to Donington once work is complete there? Potential European GP host again?
Old 16 Jan 2006, 14:29 (Ref:1502391)   #2
Alex Hodgkinson
Veteran

England
Derby
Alex Hodgkinson should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
In the near future I'd say rather slim.
The current work that's going on is only on the main paddock & pitlane.
I'd say if they want F1 there they need to be doing a hell of a lot more work around the place, something that the powers that be don't seem to appreciate.

(ps. I work as a track marshall at Donington park when oppertunity gives, so I am in a position to comment)
Old 16 Jan 2006, 14:31 (Ref:1502392)   #3
kipper
Veteran

England
Leics
kipper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridkipper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I would imagine that there would only be a very slim chance of F1 returning to Donington. Even after its upgrades, I don't think that it will be quite up to F1 standard. Moreover, with a number of venues offering Bernie Ecclestone huge chunks of cash for a race, the chances of Britain being given two races would be very small, especially as the Nurburgring has a long term contract to stage the European Grand Prix. Therefore, Donington's only chance would be to grab Silverstone's place on the calender, which would appear unlikely given that it is in the early stages of a contract and is embarking on a facilities upgrade.
Old 16 Jan 2006, 14:44 (Ref:1502403)   #4
Stephen Green
Race Official
Veteran

England
Faversham, Kent
Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!
I agree. The likelihood is that the European GP will in effect replace Hockenheim if their financial troubles continue. Other countries like Dubai are already vying for a race and have excellent facilities already to hand. I can see several European races being moved to other areas like the Middle East, after all Italy have in effect two races as do France.
Old 16 Jan 2006, 14:52 (Ref:1502412)   #5
Zoidberg
Rookie

Zoidberg should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Yes, I suppose the last F1 memory there will be to have witnessed one of the greatest individual performances in the sport's history.
Old 16 Jan 2006, 15:03 (Ref:1502419)   #6
TheNewBob
Veteran

England
Lincs, UK
TheNewBob should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridTheNewBob should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
If Hockenheim does disappear then maybe nothing will replace it at all, given that they're supposedly looking at reducing the size of the calendar...
Old 16 Jan 2006, 15:06 (Ref:1502423)   #7
Stephen Green
Race Official
Veteran

England
Faversham, Kent
Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!
I think the pressure is on F1 to keep the current high number of races and that some traditional venues will eventually make way for newer ones.
Old 16 Jan 2006, 16:06 (Ref:1502456)   #8
safc_fan89
Veteran

safc_fan89 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridsafc_fan89 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It would be good, but I can't see it happening. If another British venue was ever used as say the European GP, I would have thought Brands Hatch would be higher up on the list.
Old 16 Jan 2006, 16:08 (Ref:1502459)   #9
Julio
Racer

United Kingdom
Julio should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The facilities at Donington are a bit pants really. The toilet block at the old hairpin anybody?

Considering Bernie was rubbishing Silverstone's facilities, which, lets face it, are ten times better than Donington, Donington doesn't have a hope unless extensive renovations are done. I'm glad the pits have been done though, lets hope the garages are a bit bigger this time. I can't imagine how the F1 lot coped in 1993 in those sheds.
Old 16 Jan 2006, 16:36 (Ref:1502484)   #10
Kidzer
Veteran

Scotland
Aberdeenshire, Scotland
Kidzer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridKidzer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Julio
The toilet block at the old hairpin anybody?
Eeeek indeed.

Having said that, donnington did hold a great race in '93 so the circuit is definetley good enough.

I guess spectator facilities have to be high on the priority list, but I didn't find it too bad at the FRenault Masters in 2003 of FRv6 in 2004.
Old 16 Jan 2006, 16:42 (Ref:1502489)   #11
andy97
Veteran

United Kingdom
Castle Donington
andy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridandy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The circuit is fantastic but the whole infrastructure, both at the circuit and in the surrounding area, just could not cope with the the F1 circus' current demands. Traffic would also be a complete nightmare. The Bike GP regularly causes 3 hour hold ups on the M1 and numerous flight delays from East Mids Airport due to aircrew being stuck in traffic and that event "only" attracts crowds of 70 000!!

A great ide but not a hope I'm afraid.
Old 16 Jan 2006, 17:23 (Ref:1502520)   #12
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
The quality of the 1993 race wasn't really related to the layout of the track - it was a combination of wet weather (always ikely when you hold a race in britain at that time of year....) and pure genuis from Ayrton. Brands and perhaps even Snetterton are more likely to host F1 races in future than Donington, which I'm not convicned has anythign to offer Formula 1 comapred to the newer tracks in exciting new markets. Britain should always have a Grand Prix as it has some of the rigchest F1 heritage, but Silverstone encapsulates most of that and is the ideal home, particularly as the track is excitign and produces great races almost every year.
Old 16 Jan 2006, 22:53 (Ref:1502727)   #13
REALIST
Racer

REALIST has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by BootsOntheSide
The quality of the 1993 race wasn't really related to the layout of the track - it was a combination of wet weather (always ikely when you hold a race in britain at that time of year....) and pure genuis from Ayrton. Brands and perhaps even Snetterton are more likely to host F1 races in future than Donington, which I'm not convicned has anythign to offer Formula 1 comapred to the newer tracks in exciting new markets. Britain should always have a Grand Prix as it has some of the rigchest F1 heritage, but Silverstone encapsulates most of that and is the ideal home, particularly as the track is excitign and produces great races almost every year.

Are you just saying Snetterton to stress the unlikelihood of Donington ever getting F1? I couldn't visualise Snet and F1 without a complete track and facilities rebuild, and I mean rebuild.

For a start the track is too narrow, has very poor runoff in some areas and for an F1 car would be, what?.. 50 - 55Sec lap? As for the facilities, well there just are none are there?
Old 16 Jan 2006, 18:36 (Ref:1502569)   #14
Hepatic
Veteran

United Kingdom
Preston-ish
Hepatic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridHepatic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
despite what Bernie says, Silverstone has by far and away the best facilities of any track in this country. If he aint happy with that, then nowhere has a hope, unfortunately.
Old 16 Jan 2006, 18:50 (Ref:1502580)   #15
Rennen
Veteran

United Kingdom
Hertfordshire
Rennen should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRennen should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRennen should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRennen should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Sadly Ole Donnie is way to out of date for modern F1 requirements.
Old 16 Jan 2006, 19:05 (Ref:1502584)   #16
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
Not much to add really is there?

The lack of (F1 style) facilities has been covered, the money required to chuck at Bernie will need to be vast.

The viewing for spectators is excellent, but the circuit length is arguably too short by modern (Tilke) standards as well. Only Monaco, Hungary and Magny Cours are around 2 and a half miles or less aren't they?
Old 16 Jan 2006, 19:14 (Ref:1502586)   #17
maltafan
Veteran

Malta
obviously, Malta
maltafan has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
I do not think that there will be any more new GP's in Europe. Other places are just more competitive and their governments seem to be more enthusiastic to spend money on F1.
Old 17 Jan 2006, 16:48 (Ref:1503203)   #18
safc_fan89
Veteran

safc_fan89 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridsafc_fan89 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
If Donington would have to be upgraded substantially for F1, and possibly ruin the nature of the circuit, it's not worth it.
Old 16 Jan 2006, 22:23 (Ref:1502708)   #19
JimW
Veteran

United Kingdom
Worcestershire, UK
JimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid

I'm glad that F1 probably won't be back to Donington. Why ruin the place even further for F1!

The current changes to the pits and garages are for MotoGp. The garages will be smaller than before. Probably better laid out etc. but still smaller because more pits are being fitted into the same length.

Regards

Jim
Old 16 Jan 2006, 22:42 (Ref:1502720)   #20
Sheila M
Veteran

England
Burton-Upon-Trent
Sheila M should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSheila M should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimW
The current changes to the pits and garages are for MotoGp. The garages will be smaller than before. Probably better laid out etc. but still smaller because more pits are being fitted into the same length.

Regards

Jim
I'm so glad you mentioned this Jim. Regrettably the garages and pit lane will in future be more suited to bikes than cars so we can safely say that F1 will never return to Donington.
Old 16 Jan 2006, 23:21 (Ref:1502743)   #21
Alex Hodgkinson
Veteran

England
Derby
Quote:
I was told by head marshal, Frank, that they're actually going to be about the same size because they're extending the pit buildings on to the area which was previously the small exhibition centre next to the circuit underpass.
Old 17 Jan 2006, 09:46 (Ref:1502954)   #22
JimW
Veteran

United Kingdom
Worcestershire, UK
JimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex Hodgkinson
I was told by head mid-week marshal, Frank, that they're actually going to be about the same size because they're extending the pit buildings on to the area which was previously the small exhibition centre next to the circuit underpass.
That is not the case. See the plans at http://www.donington-park.co.uk/news...aceControl.pdf and http://www.donington-park.co.uk/news...ediaCentre.pdf. After the rebuild there will be 38 pits in the space where there were previously 26 (plus the one pit-sized space after pit 26). Oh yes, and they have halved the width of the access to the pits by pit 1, but the extra space is not used for a pit.

The "Exhibition center" remains in exactly the same space but extended backwards from the track to about twice the size. Again that is designed around the needs of the journos for the MotoGP. It will also have extended facilities suitable for exhibitions at other times.

Regards

Jim
Old 17 Jan 2006, 13:13 (Ref:1503066)   #23
Julio
Racer

United Kingdom
Julio should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
That is not the case. See the plans at http://www.donington-park.co.uk/news...aceControl.pdf and http://www.donington-park.co.uk/news...ediaCentre.pdf. After the rebuild there will be 38 pits in the space where there were previously 26 (plus the one pit-sized space after pit 26). Oh yes, and they have halved the width of the access to the pits by pit 1, but the extra space is not used for a pit.

The "Exhibition center" remains in exactly the same space but extended backwards from the track to about twice the size. Again that is designed around the needs of the journos for the MotoGP. It will also have extended facilities suitable for exhibitions at other times.

Regards

Jim
Wow. Thanks for the info. From memory the old ones were pretty small anyway. Isn't having even smaller garages going to effect the 4 wheeled championships that reguarly come to Donington? BTCC, British GT, F3 etc.
Old 17 Jan 2006, 13:18 (Ref:1503070)   #24
JimW
Veteran

United Kingdom
Worcestershire, UK
Quote:
Originally Posted by Julio
Wow. Thanks for the info. From memory the old ones were pretty small anyway. Isn't having even smaller garages going to effect the 4 wheeled championships that reguarly come to Donington? BTCC, British GT, F3 etc.
While I have not run a tape measure over them , my impression is that they will be a bit similar to the ones at Thruxton but deeper.

Regards

Jim
Old 17 Jan 2006, 17:05 (Ref:1503215)   #25
Alex Hodgkinson
Veteran

England
Derby
Quote:
That is not the case. See the plans....

....The "Exhibition center" remains in exactly the same space but extended backwards from the track to about twice the size. Again that is designed around the needs of the journos for the MotoGP. It will also have extended facilities suitable for exhibitions at other times.

Regards

Jim

Ah ok then, and I was hoping that what I'd been told was the case.

Has anyone else noticed that MacDonalds are doing the architectural work?!