Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > ACO Regulated Series

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 18 Sep 2006, 22:13 (Ref:1713269)   #11
Bob Riebe
Veteran

Bob Riebe User has been fined for unsportsmanlike behaviour!
Quote:
Originally Posted by paul-collins
The one with which I'm most familiar, of course.

Notice that Indy has bump day to determine the field. In theory that means that it's merit that determines the field. Colin Chapman and his ilk had to qualify.

Now, the argument could be made that qualifying is horrifically expensive for American teams, as compared to European teams; fine, then, give some of them the guaranteed entries. But in reality *all* European (perhaps I'll just call them "open") slots could (maybe even should!) be determined by qualifying.
As much as it may dismay thee, Indy was what I was thinking as I wrote the response, but left it out as I thought it might be too much a cliché for some.

One, Uno, Адйн, Eins big difference, Indy has had bump day for as long as I have been around and it STILL functions in the same manner, you qualify on that day, and you are in.
There is no by invite elitist pre-arranged guarantee.

As another comparison, when T. George set-up an exclusionary pre-set arrangement, for even part of the field, it started the destruction of open wheel racing.
----------------------------------

Malcom wrote:
"Suddenly it all became clear: the current system of awarding guaranteed places for Le Mans, of granting some entries in January, some in February and the rest in March could be improved upon."

Absolutely it should just plain be eliminated, totally.
Remeber when LeMans was so important, Ford showed up during test days with a car that never raced anywhere, but still spent enough time and effort that it was already quite developed.
Just racing at LeMans was considered worth the expense to build a car try it, and scrap it and start again, if it was not right.

There were no hoops for teams and or SPONSORS to jump through. The race track was deemed a large enough challenge as it was, no gimmicks.

"Now, that said, having a qualifying day or days at LM may be impractical, and in days past it led to special qualifying engines, and other exhorbitantly costly items;..."
Paul, if such happens, so what; if the exclusionary by invite only is eliminated, and, perhaps, LeMans is one of very few (Some used to do just Daytona, Sebring as a test hoping to be able to afford LeMans,) at least a team, or owner only has to fund as many races as he wants to run without trying to find someone to pay for races, he would rather not do; and therefore has to come up with some BS reason to explain to a possible sponsor why he cannot just run, where A: they get most profitable exposure; B: A number of races that is more rationally affordable.

Now if Malcom or anyone is speaking of setting up LeMans for European, standard, fine, but if a USA contingent is actually desired, the current system is a losing proposition.
Using the same precedent, Paul, you and I both thought of,--indianapolis as the benchmark.
Remember not only was the 25/8 buffonery a losing proposition, but also the only having "allowed" proper engine badges scam, which has turned Indy into Formula Honda.

All hoopla about 2010, is ignoring the forest for the trees, NOTHING has dramatically improved since LeMans turned the only surviving road race with international prestige into a coven for the "proper cliques".
Malcoms sees the dying trees in the forest, though I do not agree with his opinion; most seem to be talking some sorts of bizarre formulas for success, while cancer slowly kill the host.
Bob