Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Barn Finds > ChampCar World Series

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 20 Jun 2000, 10:16 (Ref:18191)   #1
floid2000
Racer

floid2000 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

I heard that the irl is running at Homestead next year.Does that mean Cart will be gone and No spring training? I hope not.
A LITTLE HISTORY
A businessman/racer from Miami named Ralph Sanchez put a street race together in Miami some 15 years ago.Our south florida rain made it more like a hydroplane race BUT, we still came. Finally after years of trying to build a track down here Hurricane Andrew came to the rescue. The town of Homestead was virtually destroyed and needed something new.
"Let's build a race track" said Mr Sanchez. And so it was done. He tried to get nascar to race at his track but Dale Earnhart said" redesign the turns and put in more seats"(another 5 million dollars). Even though Emerson Fitipaldi was in on the track design Bobby Rahal said "its unsafe" Redesign it.(another 3 million) Well, by now Mr Sanchez and the city of Homestead were about broke.
But, WAIT ,"THERES MORE"
Enter the "evil" Mr France(of nascar fame) and Mr Penske
In some kind of a business move ,I dont understand ,they took Mr Sanchez's track away from him leaving him with a 10%
share of the track he busted his ass to build.They also gave 10% to a Mr Huyzinga (local gangster and owner of the marlins,panthers,dolphins)
The track immediately became a lot less fan friendly,food went up and so did drinks and ticket prices.
Cart drew 42 thousand people to Homestead this year.
Good Luck selling more than 5000 tickets to an IRL race.
Have any of you been to Homestead ?
I'd like to hear your thoughts