Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Racers Forum

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 14 Feb 2007, 07:50 (Ref:1840971)   #11
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!
I don't think the fact that there are double the cars on the road (I question that figure BTW) has much bearing on the wealth of the nation or peoples disposable income. Many people have been forced to live further from their places of work by high house prices so the car is now not a luxury but a neccessity.

20 years ago I earn as much if not more than I do today, today I hear 'Our Ken' plans to raise my council tax (I have propertu in the GLC area) by £300 a year to pay for some other hairbrained scheme no doubt, if I want to go on holiday its gonna cost me another £40 etc etc and this is just this week alone. Times it over the last 10 years and my disposable income has plummetted. In my business I just cannot go on pushing up my prices year in year out, some things like vinyl lettering because of market forces and cheap Chinese machines and hooky eBay software I am actually charging less than I did 10 years ago! If I tried to charge the extra I would go out of business but for some reason the clubs and track owners. MSA etc. seem to be on another planet and see fit to just add cost of inflation plus increases every season and that is despite an obvious decline in particpants.

The survey is interesting enough but trust me the primary reason is Cost, Cost and cost again. You know something and I am sure you have always been there when you discuss with someone for the first time about your participation in the sport. They invariable come out with, 'So what do you get prize money or something for winning?', err no nothing in fact we pay to participate, 'You pay, how much!' Oh about £175 entry, 'You must be bloody mad!' is the general reaction.

PS I will add to this cost argument as I know people that you would not mind being a bob or two behind who have given up in the sport siting the reason that although they have the funds they simply cannot 'justify' the expenditure for the 15minutes or so of racing they get out of it. The prices need to drop drastically if this sport is ever going to apeal to the masses. I said it 15 years ago when I was running the Racing Saloon Car Club and I will say it now, I was once told by an emminent club offical that they would prefer 10 cars on the grid paying £100 than thirty paying £60 (or there abouts), reason the later meant more work for them and the spectator can go and take a hike (which they did in fact!)!

Last edited by Al Weyman; 14 Feb 2007 at 08:00.