Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Indycar Series

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 12 Feb 2008, 14:30 (Ref:2127233)   #1
paul-collins
Veteran

Canada
Mosport on a good day
paul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridpaul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridpaul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Welcome to the Unified American Open Wheel Forum

Given that, sooner or later, this seems to be the way things will be, our choice is to quit, moan about what once was, or start discussing what will be, and how it might grow from here.

I choose the last option.

Frankly, aesthetically I don't like the Dallaras. I think the DP01s aren't great tools to work with overall, either, although they look better. I like the Cossies, have no opinion on the Hondas as I've not heard them in person. I think new chassis regs will have to come, soon, to encorporate the newer safety requirements (I know the IRL was already considering easier access cockpits, so new tubs are on their way anyway). So, ultimately, new chassis. Hopefully 2 or 3 constructors can be accommodated.

I think the cars as they stand are over-winged.

I think a good option for engines would be to start with LMP2 (Le Mans spec) engines, which provides for varying sizes and configurations (including turbos and diesels!). Just up the target power range from the LMP2 570 to 700 by adjusting the restrictor tables. You might want to consider different specs for oval vs road (more power in road trim) as a ruleset, but only with engine developers' okay - they'd have to provide different maps for different restrictor sizes.

If you need to reduce the speeds on ovals, it is the cornering speed that needs to decrease, not the overall speed. Less downforce (both wing and under-car) and less grip (narrower tires?) might be worth exploring. I think the lower downforce spec would probably help for road racing as well, as then you wouldn't lose as much downforce when you're right behind someone.

On schedules, I'm no big fan of street courses for two reasons - there's no runoff (no margin for error) and fan access is seriously restricted because fans aren't higher than the track. However, if they work from a business perspective (Toronto with Molsons or someone like it; Edmonton with Rexall; Long Beach with Toyota Dealers of Long Beach) then they should survive.

I love road courses, and if Toronto can't survive, I'd like to see Mosport added. I think it would make money and provide great racing. Laguna Seca, Road America, Road Atlanta, Mid Ohio are all part of what I picture as a solid schedule.

On ovals, I worry about ISC ownership and their lack of interest in promoting their current races; strong ties to any and all independent oval owners need to be cultivated. (For the same reason I left Watkins Glen off the road course list.)

I think a slight bias toward oval racing is natural for North American racing - I'd always imagined a 21 race schedule, ultimately, with 10 ovals, 10 road/street courses, and Indy as the crown.

Anyway, have at it! Tell me why I'm crazy...
... Since all men live in darkness, who believes something is not a test of whether it is true or false. I have spent years trying to get people to ask simple questions: What is the evidence, and what does it mean?

-Bill James