Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > 24 Heures du Mans

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 18 May 2010, 11:40 (Ref:2693232)   #32
mickey29
Racer

England
Wellingborough
mickey29 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridmickey29 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
My personal opinion and the reason for my discomfort:

The film was a fascinating and at times greatly moving attempt to demonstrate the tragic optimism of the 1950s.

The film was a programme of 3 acts and missed on a great opportunity to expand Act 3.

The first act; the build up and context was (from a spectator's point of view) an exciting pre race show. A (all too) brief description of each driver and team and more importantly, expressing the stories of the spectators who represented the survivors. The only negative comment I have is that I found the incidental music very intrusive.

Act 2 was both compelling and distressing. The tales of the spectators versus the near inhumanity of keeping the race going (although I understand why the organisers kept racing). My wife and I were both moved by the tales of the 3 spectators and (I can only speak for myself here) sickened by the racers.

The aftermath was the weakest part of the programme and missed a vital opportunity rally show the lasting affect this incident had on the sport.

I also felt uncomfortable after watching the programme. After some consideration I think my discomfort was caused by a conflict of 3 elements and emotions:

My excitement and wonderment about the size and nature of the spectacle that is Le Mans 24 hours (I have never been but love watching it)

My shock at the scale of the accident and the nature of peoples' injuries and the way that the people died.

Finally (and this caused me a restless night). I feel guilty. I love motor racing, I love the spectacle of cars and drivers cling to the edge as they battle. Yet the actions of the ACO, the drivers and the teams was not sport. In my opinion it was greed and desire.

That doesn't sit well with me as a fan of racing.

I do not condemn either racer involved in the accident. The incident was AN ACCIDENT. Macklin, Hawthorn and Levegh all paid a price for their racing.

I do condemn Hawthorn's celebrations and I applaud Mercedes for pulling out.

The race should have been stopped and humanity and humility should have been more in evidence.

The memorial is appropriate and I salute those who died and those who didn't.

That said, I am really looking forward to Le Mans this year as always.