Related Sites: FlagMarshal.com MarshalsGuide.com Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Marshals Forum

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 16 Aug 2011, 07:38 (Ref:2941653)   #24
Terrible-Tones
Veteran

Wales
Thrapston - Northants
Terrible-Tones should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridTerrible-Tones should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Fox View Post
The point is that there should be questions to check the understanding of race day, that should include how to go through scrutineering, what to do if you get into difficulties out on the circuit, what the officials all do, what should happen if you end up in the gravel, there must be 30 questions that I didn't know the answer to the first time I raced at a circuit and I'd done a week long course
Yes - absolutely agree. It is not all about what to do if you stop on track. Looking at the responses I have had from the drivers I spoke to, (Publish soon I promise), but more about how a race day is organised, the hierarchy, flag sectoring and more understanding of the rules. More than anything I think ARDS needs to point out what you need to find out and how to do it. Let's hope MacGWC can get somewhere with it.

Like you, the first time Nina and I went racing we were also all at sea. What was worse it was at a circuit I had marshaled for 3 years or so and new well. I hate to think what happenes if you come in "blind".

The first time Nina saw a SC was on her second race. She wasn't a marshal at the time and had little idea what was happening, especially as she didn't really catch sight of the safety car as she was nearly at the back. The restart was hilarious, everybody took off and she just idled past wondering where everybody had gone, much to the chagrin of the 4 people behind her. It was due to inexperience - won't make that mistake again!