Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 22 Apr 2012, 08:57 (Ref:3063499)   #1
Puzzle
Rookie

New Zealand
New Zealand
Puzzle should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
motorsport and forest fires

Hi all I'm a long time lurker and first time poster and the catalyst for this is a question that I've had about the fire risks presented by motorsport in relation to forestry not entirely sure where this should go but this seems to be the forum most relevant to circuits and related issues. Some of you may be aware of new track projects in New Zealand an one of these is planned for my local area where their has been a lot of enthusiasm for a local track for some time. one of the issues raised at the resource consent hearing in opposition to the proposal was its position at the bottom of a valley surrounded by commercial forestry and the potential fire risk posed by motorsport activities to these large valuable forests. Now I know that events are held around New Zealand in forestry blocks the Ashley forest rallysprint for one and several other rallys and of road events around the country and piles peak is held through a pine forest and I've never heard of anyone complaining about the risk of forest fires in relation to motorsport before and was wondering if anyone has any experiance of issues like this one. Here's a link for the proposed park which should answer any questions about the project http://www.centralmotorsport.org.nz/node .