Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Motorsport History

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 17 Apr 2000, 21:37 (Ref:8260)   #1
Mephisto
Rookie

Mephisto should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Well, I have a couple of questions. Has anybody seen the movie Le Mans filmed in 1970 (I think) with Steve Mc Queen? Brilliant movie with many original recordings. Especially the crash with the 917K Gulf Porsche, as (in the movie) the driver got disorientated by an accident in front of him with a Ferrari. The Porsche crash pictures seem to be originally, but the Ferrari crash pictures have been refilmed especially for the movie.
Apparently, the driver who made the stunt was/is as far as I know quite famous. As he did the stunt he had to suffer some serious injuries.

Who was that driver that did the stunt ?
Who was the real driver that died ?

Further the race was at the end very very close. Of course, it is a movie but

Was it really so close ?

A mistake (better say a commercial interest from the Americans) the Gulf Porsche won, but in truth the Salzburg Porsche won driven by Hans Herrmann.

Has anybody got some racing pictures of the 917K Salzburg or Gulf ?

By the way, since I am still new in this Forum, and I am quite young, my details might not be correct. Everybody of course can correct me, but I just want to make sure, that I am interested in detailed facts, but I just don't always have them.
Sorry that there are so many questions, but my interest is big and my library is small, so I am very happy for any reply.

PS: There was some discussion that this forum was lacking new Topics, so I didn't hesitate.