Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > National & Club Racing

Old 29 Jul 2004, 09:16 (Ref:1050643)   #1
gejl
Rookie

gejl should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
SELOC BMWs at Lydden on Sunday 1st Aug

Well, Autosport forgot to include us in the list of races on Sunday, so I'll just take the opportunity to remind our increasing fan base that the SELOC Loonies are out again on Sunday, back on home turf at Lydden

See you there Gnomex!

www.selocmotorsport.com
Old 29 Jul 2004, 10:10 (Ref:1050703)   #2
BertMk2
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nr Maidstone, Kent
BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!
I'll be at Lydden with BRR on Sunday so no doubt I'll catch the SELOC action too. Remember - you're supposed to be on the tarmac bits!
Old 29 Jul 2004, 10:18 (Ref:1050713)   #3
ss_collins
Veteran

Nigeria
Mooresville, NC
ss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Bert thats rubbish its quite clear that the racing line at lydden include some chalk
Old 29 Jul 2004, 10:41 (Ref:1050731)   #4
BertMk2
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nr Maidstone, Kent
BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally posted by ss_collins
Bert thats rubbish its quite clear that the racing line at lydden include some chalk
Fair point! The SELOC mob don't stop at chalk though - grass, gravel, banking, tyre wall etc. etc.

General policy seems to be - if it's there, use it (making full use of the facilities available!)
Old 29 Jul 2004, 10:46 (Ref:1050733)   #5
gejl
Rookie

We're learning....

Some of us are now able to keep it on the black stuff most of the time. Next step is keeping it within the white lines, too - especially on the entry to Paddock!
Old 29 Jul 2004, 11:33 (Ref:1050771)   #6
Gnomex
Veteran

Gnomex should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Re: SELOC BMWs at Lydden on Sunday 1st Aug

Quote:
Originally posted by gejl
Well, Autosport forgot to include us in the list of races on Sunday, so I'll just take the opportunity to remind our increasing fan base that the SELOC Loonies are out again on Sunday, back on home turf at Lydden

See you there Gnomex!

www.selocmotorsport.com
Sadly I'm not going to be there. SWMBO (She Who Must Be Obeyed) has decreed that the family have something called a "holiday" - I ask you! Right in the middle of the season! Apparently the family are not too keen on sunbathing with penguins in the winter.

Have a great day - I'll be thinking of you!
Old 29 Jul 2004, 12:00 (Ref:1050784)   #7
gejl
Rookie

Ah well. Enjoy your holiday...
Old 29 Jul 2004, 12:14 (Ref:1050800)   #8
BertMk2
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nr Maidstone, Kent
Quote:
Originally posted by gejl
Next step is keeping it within the white lines, too - especially on the entry to Paddock!
That extra bit of tarmac must be tempting, it would certainly make the corner easier. (that bit of tarmac seem to be accepted as part of the track for the rallycross meetings - I guess the slightly earlier entry to paddock needs a different line)
Old 29 Jul 2004, 12:42 (Ref:1050831)   #9
gejl
Rookie

Interestingly at our last meeting there in early July, Craig, the race winner (took the place from me ) received a black and white flag, but there was no comment from the clerk of the course afterwards. I reckon it's because he was running with well over half the car on the wrong side of that line on the entry into Paddock.

Does anyone know if the black/white flag would be given for that? (and I'm not talking about the chequered one...!)
Old 29 Jul 2004, 12:56 (Ref:1050849)   #10
BertMk2
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nr Maidstone, Kent
My comments are based purely on my own observations (I have no idea what the actual regs are):

Circuit racers generally stay on the 'inside' of the lines whilst the rallycrossers freely cross the lines (I've seen a couple of cars actually rubbing the armco at paddock). I'll see if I can find any pictures to back that up.

I guess the best thing to do would be to check it with the clerk of the course before you hit the track for qualifying. They've been pretty hot on infringements at Lydden recently, the black and white flag has been hung out a lot and there have been plenty of penalties dished out so it's probably a good idea to get the info from the horses mouth.
Old 29 Jul 2004, 13:46 (Ref:1050894)   #11
Gnomex
Veteran

Gnomex should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by BertMk2
I guess the best thing to do would be to check it with the clerk of the course before you hit the track for qualifying. They've been pretty hot on infringements at Lydden recently, the black and white flag has been hung out a lot and there have been plenty of penalties dished out so it's probably a good idea to get the info from the horses mouth.
You understand I cannot discuss individual drivers but the black/white warning flag is used to convey to a driver that their driving is under observation for some reason. This could be for crossing a white edge demarkation line, spinning several times, etc. If the standard of the observed driver does not improve, the Clerk of the Course would consider authorising the showing of the black flag which requires the driver concerned to return to the pits/paddock.
Old 29 Jul 2004, 14:06 (Ref:1050911)   #12
BertMk2
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nr Maidstone, Kent
I can't remember who it was waved at last time I saw it (I think it was at the BARC meeting). There seemed to be the full range of flags on show that day, black and white, meatball, white, soggy green, limp yellow, bedraggled red, red and yellow stripey one (just to prove it hadn't been washed away). I guess waving them about meant they dried out quicker after the monsoon

I understand the meaning of the flag but I thought that if it was shown the driver would be informed afterwards as to why? It doesn't have to mean you're going to get nailed - it's just a warning that you're doing something dodgy so you'd better be on your best behaviour from then on.
Old 29 Jul 2004, 15:03 (Ref:1050958)   #13
gejl
Rookie

Yeah, think the problem was that the driver concerned wasn't sure what he was doing wrong! We'd had a little touch when he overtook me on the previous lap, so it could have been that.

I'll ask on Sunday for clarification on the white lines there - I do seem to remember the first time I raced at Lydden last Septemeber the new drivers briefing included a comment to that effect. I make a point of not running (significantly!) over it.
Old 29 Jul 2004, 17:31 (Ref:1051117)   #14
Upside Down Bug
Veteran

England
Kent
Upside Down Bug should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
For all circuit meetings at Lydden you must stay within the white line on the entry to paddock bend. Minor, occasional, indiscretions are usually just met with a black and white, but if the driver continues to use too much circuit then the black flag may well be used.

Rallycross is a different animal because of the earlier turn-in for the loose. We found that if you enforce that rule there it pushes the cars wider on the exit, previously towards the much lamented Mabb's bank, but now towards the jump-start lights. It also gives slightly more room for overtaking.
Old 29 Jul 2004, 17:31 (Ref:1051119)   #15
Upside Down Bug
Veteran

England
Kent
Upside Down Bug should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
PS I should say it is very sensible to seek clarification from the clerk on the day of anything you are not sure about. It might save nasty suprises later.
Old 30 Jul 2004, 06:44 (Ref:1051652)   #16
craig j
Rookie

craig j should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Just to clarify that it was me who won the race and also received the black and white flag. After reviewing a video of the race it is clear that I would have received the warning for running repeatedly over the white line into Paddock. I would have confirmed this but unfotunately I had a Ferry to catch for Croix immediately after the race.
Don't worry Guy, i'll just have to prove I can beat you this weekend without going over the line!
Old 30 Jul 2004, 07:36 (Ref:1051697)   #17
BertMk2
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nr Maidstone, Kent
Quote:
Originally posted by Upside Down Bug
Rallycross is a different animal because of the earlier turn-in for the loose. We found that if you enforce that rule there it pushes the cars wider on the exit, previously towards the much lamented Mabb's bank, but now towards the jump-start lights.
You'd better think about making the track even wider then - the jump start lights took a pounding at the BTRDA meeting!

I figured the rules must be different, otherwise the black and white flag would be in permanent use at the rallycross events
Old 2 Aug 2004, 09:38 (Ref:1053827)   #18
BertMk2
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nr Maidstone, Kent
Cracking racing again at Lydden, not just from the SELOC loons but just about every race all afternoon. As part of the BRR crowd I had a great afternoon - a race long battle between the Metro and the Starlet, the Mini getting the lead off the start of the saloons race and finally the Mini grabbing 2nd back from the Porsche 911 with 2 laps to go then holding it to the flag!
Old 2 Aug 2004, 09:51 (Ref:1053846)   #19
Stephen Green
Race Official
Veteran

England
Faversham, Kent
Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!
Yup, it was a great dayy all round. For some reason I was banished to post 2 (the one after the start line) and spent the day basking in shade under the trees. Lets just say that if it wasn't for the good racing keeping my blood warm, it would have been a tad cold standing there