Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Barn Finds > ChampCar World Series

Old 2 Oct 2004, 10:54 (Ref:1113217)   #51
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Nothing's signed yet then. And I agree that those booing Carpentier need to change their perspective on this - Pat's looked at every realistic option to stay on teh CARt side, but nothing has come up.
Old 2 Oct 2004, 13:04 (Ref:1113326)   #52
JohnSSC
Veteran

Slovenia
Pittsburgh
JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!
"Fan: an ardent admirer, usually of a public character, writer, artist..." Funk & Wagnall's.

If one is really a "fan" of any driver, than they would be cheering him/her on, wishing the best for them.

PC has every right to do the best deal possible and with whomever will give him the best deal in order to retain his services.

Pat is a good driver, talented and excellent with the fans. It is a shame to hear of "fans" booing him because he is going with the best deal rather than being a Geoff Boss and paying for his drive. He has worked hard. He has shown good results. He has EARNED a paying drive.
"He's still a young guy and I always think, slightly morbidly, the last thing you learn is how to die and at the end of the day everybody learns every single day." - The Ever-Cheerfull Ron Dennis on Lewis Hamilton.
Old 2 Oct 2004, 14:47 (Ref:1113388)   #53
Snrub
Veteran

Canada
London, Ontario, Canada
Snrub should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSnrub should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by rustyfan
Lesser equipment? Patrick drove for Player's Racing in 2002, and I wouldn't exactly call that 'lesser equipment', in particular compared to several other teams back in 2002.
Pat had a Reynard with a Ford engine in 2002 and the main competition came from NH and Ganassi, both of whom were running the clearly more powerful Toyota engine and faster Lola chasis. Also, NH somehow managed to come up with near perfect setups at every track, we still see the effects of the 02 season today. So yes, I stand by my statement that Pat had lesser equipment in 02. IMO compared to the Ganassi drivers Pat put in a far superior performance in 02.

Quote:
Like Mo Nunn's 2002 Champ Car team for example, which fit the 'lesser equipment' bill (didn't it?) - which also was the team Kanaan drove for (and for much of his Champ Car stint, if I'm not mistaken?) What years - if any - did Kanaan sit in a truly competitive car while in Champ Car (I can't remember myself)? Let's not forget Kanaan was also injured at least twice - once quite severely, at Detroit - which surely didn't help his Champ Car results.
Recall Kannan was on a Forsythe team for multiple years. Kannan was a decent CC driver but I wouldn't suggest that he always had 100% top equipment. The thing about CC in those days was that lots of drivers had decent success with equipment that was similar to Kannan's. IMO he always looked good, but Kannan never looked like he was beyond the average talent level (which was quiet high).

I don't think people should be booing Pat, he's been jerked around and he wants some stability. I think his choice of teams is odd, but he's learned he can't trust the OWRS guys to do right by him.
Old 2 Oct 2004, 19:33 (Ref:1113515)   #54
MLM
Veteran

MLM should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by JohnSSC
"Fan: an ardent admirer, usually of a public character, writer, artist..." Funk & Wagnall's.

If one is really a "fan" of any driver, than they would be cheering him/her on, wishing the best for them.

PC has every right to do the best deal possible and with whomever will give him the best deal in order to retain his services.

Pat is a good driver, talented and excellent with the fans. It is a shame to hear of "fans" booing him because he is going with the best deal rather than being a Geoff Boss and paying for his drive. He has worked hard. He has shown good results. He has EARNED a paying drive.
I couldn't agree with you more.
Old 2 Oct 2004, 21:10 (Ref:1113580)   #55
Mosport67
Racer

Canada
Near Mosport
Mosport67 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Well-said John.
Old 2 Oct 2004, 21:47 (Ref:1113593)   #56
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Add me to the list of people in admiration of John's accurate and succintly phrased post above. I hope Pat's fans can adjust to the change in his circumstances, and maybe see what the IRL fuss is about - if they don't enjoy it and watch to switch allegience to Tagliani, or Ranger/Vailente if they get a chance, fine - just don't call Pat a sell-out or anything.
Old 3 Oct 2004, 05:54 (Ref:1113723)   #57
mountainstar
Veteran

United States
mountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by JohnSSC
He has EARNED a paying drive.
Hmmm....

Well in my opinion he's been paid well for years but only seems to pull it out of the bag when his job is on the line. Ever since he started in cart, I've always felt he was inconsistant and never really thought of him as being a champion. I'm sure that he could have championship potential but I don't think that we have seen that yet.

Good luck to him.
Old 3 Oct 2004, 06:14 (Ref:1113729)   #58
GoFaster
Racer

GoFaster should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
And I recall catching hell because I suggested POOK was the wrong man for the job to save CART.
Old 3 Oct 2004, 07:12 (Ref:1113748)   #59
D.R.T.
Veteran

D.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridD.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
All the best to Pat, and you never know in a few years time we may see him back in champcar
Old 3 Oct 2004, 07:51 (Ref:1113767)   #60
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I agree Patrick Carpentier is good rather than great, but I hope people who previously rated him won't start bashing him now.
Old 3 Oct 2004, 14:02 (Ref:1113996)   #61
indycool
Veteran

indycool should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridindycool should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Nobody rates ANYONE in CART/OWRS until they jump and make the CW "F" list.