Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 3 Feb 2005, 13:39 (Ref:1216497)   #1
Super Tourer
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
East Anglia
Super Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Bernie gathers support amongst the promoters.

In the ebb and flow of the battle between BE/FOM and the GPWC, it seems the race promoters are lining up behind Bernie.

Long time ally Ron Walker (promoter of the Melbourne race) has been canvassing support amongst fellow race promoters.

From www.autosport.com

“I have written to all the promoters on the F1 Commission urging them to support Bernie after all the years that he had supported them,” said Walker. “I have also asked for a meeting with them at the next F1 Commission meeting to talk about loyalty – and I have also written to all the promoters outside the F1 Commission seeking their continued support for Bernie, who has done so much for them.

“The support has been resounding – up to the point where 98 percent of the people who have phoned me have said they will support Bernie to the end. This is a great victory for a guy that started the business. And as long as the promoters will support him, I believe the teams will do the same.”

The GPWC have already written to Walker about the future of the Melbourne race, however Ron Walker is firmly behind FOM and not interested in the GPWC - which would leave them looking for another venue.

“I am not afraid or concerned about the GPWC allocating the race in another state of Australia,” said Walker. “It doesn't bother me, because clearly there is no room in Australia for two F1 events. We own the brand ‘F1' and ‘grand prix' in Australia so they cannot run it under those names.”

The twists and turns in this battle have been numerous but BE still holds plenty of cards in the poker game, undoubtedly he has not played anything like his final hand yet.
Old 3 Feb 2005, 13:47 (Ref:1216507)   #2
neil_davidson2
TT Photo Of The Year Winner - 2009 & 2010
Veteran

England
Swindon, UK
neil_davidson2 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridneil_davidson2 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Super Tourer
“...up to the point where 98 percent of the people who have phoned me have said they will support Bernie to the end...”

The twists and turns in this battle have been numerous but BE still holds plenty of cards in the poker game, undoubtedly he has not played anything like his final hand yet.
I think you're right to say that Bernie is nowhere near playing anything like his final hand - and probably will never have to. But I don't think the report tells us anything more than Ron Walker is supporting Bernie - 98% sounds like a high value, but without knowing how many people have phoned him in regards to this the number is fairly meaningless.

I suspect that ultimately the promoters will support BE because they will have no other choice since I believe that the GPWC will quietly go away having been used as a bargaining tool.

Last edited by neil_davidson2; 3 Feb 2005 at 13:50.
Old 3 Feb 2005, 13:52 (Ref:1216513)   #3
Super Tourer
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
East Anglia
Super Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I'm sure there is some hyperboyle, we know that Ron Walker is a staunch support of BE.

On the face of it, you would think that promoters would/will wait to see what the GPWC offers them - if only to use it as a bargaining tool, but then again some have already signed deals with BE that extend beyond the end of the current Concorde Agreement. The BRDC being one.
Old 3 Feb 2005, 15:17 (Ref:1216610)   #4
toot toot
Racer

toot toot should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Of course they're going to support him, he's kept the millions rolling in for this long and it's more than likely he will continue to do so for years to come.