Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 4 Feb 2005, 09:12 (Ref:1217243)   #1
eclectic
Racer

Scotland
Glasgow, Scotland.
eclectic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
FIA News

My copy of Historic Motor Racing News arrived yesterday, I note the following, from page 19 headlined 'Motor Racing News'.

A Heritage Certificate is no longer required before a Historic Technical Passport can be issued unless you are trying to race a Historic Special, when it is still needed. The FIA have spent some €200,000 (£138,000) dreaming up the scheme and are going to charge around €1,000 (£690) for the privilege of issuing an H C if you want one to authenticate your car for sale, or if they demand one before you can run a Historic Special.

I am rebuilding the Special Austin Mercury, raced in international events in 1952, apparently, it seems I will be obliged to pay €1,000.

The total budget for buying and refurbishing the S.A.M. is around £18,000.

As they used to say in our GCSE papers, 'Discuss".

Steve McQueen.
Old 4 Feb 2005, 09:58 (Ref:1217270)   #2
eclectic
Racer

Scotland
Glasgow, Scotland.
eclectic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Apologies, I just missed the chance to edit the above, the article is headed
"FIA NEWS".

Steve McQueen.
Old 5 Feb 2005, 22:46 (Ref:1218443)   #3
D-Type
Veteran

United Kingdom
Coulsdon, Surrey
D-Type should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
A while back we had This thread . Obviously it is now coming home to root.

The more you learn, the more you realise how little you know.
Old 6 Feb 2005, 07:53 (Ref:1218621)   #4
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Well my car is definitely a replica. It does comply with International Group 1 regs and the Homologation certificate therefore replica or not should be allowed to race in Europe.

If it means I can apply for and (hopefully) receive a Technical Passport which will alow me to race at international events then I'm pleased with this development.

However I can see the other side and Mike would appear to have a problem. But, I'm certain its not insurmountable.
Old 7 Feb 2005, 14:58 (Ref:1219459)   #5
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!
I've built mine as a replica, as faithfully as possible, I've completed the forms, taken the photos and sent it all off to the MSA . . . .havent heard a peep yet in over a month . . .anyone know how long it takes ?
Old 23 Feb 2005, 20:08 (Ref:1233827)   #6
francois
Rookie

francois should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
FIA-and now?

Difficult to homologate a replica...and what about the real ones (always Heritage certificate problem, but is there someone to have news?)
I 'm racing an old authentic ELVA MK 5, but about ten years from US past are missing (and will stay so : one previous owner is unknown-or died, into the 70').
Is there other solution than the "replica" way?and when will I need to choose?
Sorry-poor langage-poor french racer!
Thanks!
Old 24 Feb 2005, 05:23 (Ref:1234107)   #7
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by francois
Difficult to homologate a replica...
Thanks!
True but I think the point is that you can get the passport if it complies with the regs. It doesn't need to be an original.
Old 24 Feb 2005, 09:57 (Ref:1234260)   #8
Peter Horsman
Racer

Peter Horsman should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Francois, I think that you are correct. There may be no way of telling a faithful replica from an old authentic original if, due to a lack of continuous history, it is not eligible for an FIA Heritage Certificate. I don't think that it's a question of choosing. You will be effectively forced to apply for an HTP when your present FIA papers are ruled out of date, and you may try for a Heritage Certificate at that time (at a cost!) if your car can get it.

That was my point in August 2004, but then I got accused of being a money-grabbing racer ('posh papers for posh sake'!!), so gave up the thread!!!

Bon chance, mon ami!!

Last edited by Peter Horsman; 24 Feb 2005 at 09:58.
Old 24 Feb 2005, 11:24 (Ref:1234350)   #9
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!
let me rephrase that .. . .the livery of my car is as a replica, but it is a real car, ie a genuine GT with the right No's etc, and built to the correct period spec.

put it another way, it wasn't a race car until I got my hands on it !
Old 25 Feb 2005, 06:03 (Ref:1235259)   #10
francois
Rookie

francois should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Thanks, Peter, and I agree: I will ask first an HTP.After, I don't understand very well if the FIA keep the money to say you only that's 10 years missing, or could also estimate in fact, after some search, it's a real one (in fact, there's no replica of my car in the world: the value is not interesting).If they just keep the 1500€ to say "no", isn't it a "hold up?"