Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 22 Jun 2005, 01:05 (Ref:1336646)   #1
NJDMONEY
Rookie

NJDMONEY has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Is this a new era of F1?

Now that Max and Co have finally stood up to the teams and enforced the rules and it cost the teams dearly, is this the galvanizing event that makes the teams fall in line to accept all of Max's "cost decreasing, competition increasing" rules?
Old 22 Jun 2005, 02:05 (Ref:1336669)   #2
Robert Duncan
Rookie

United Kingdom
Ann Arbor, Michigan, USA
Robert Duncan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I am not sure who stood up to whom. Max may have stood up to the teams, the teams may have stood up to Max, but at what cost to Formula One? The teams may have to pay, but it will really just mean less budget to race. Formula One loses all around.

I think Max's forcing competition via rules is the root cause of all this mess.

The current regime is destroying F1, has been for the last ten years.

We might be entering the era of no Formula One...
Old 22 Jun 2005, 02:09 (Ref:1336672)   #3
ggreen29
Racer

ggreen29 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
With all the litigation possibilities as well as fines and reimbursement the teams will have to pay to FIA or sponsors, Max's decision Sunday increased costs while decreasing competition...though maybe that's what you meant.
Old 22 Jun 2005, 03:24 (Ref:1336714)   #4
NJDMONEY
Rookie

NJDMONEY has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ggreen29
With all the litigation possibilities as well as fines and reimbursement the teams will have to pay to FIA or sponsors, Max's decision Sunday increased costs while decreasing competition...though maybe that's what you meant.
No. The premise of my question was the previous rule changes Max proposed but many of the teams resisted. Those changes were, beneath the surface, intended to reduce costs and increase competition.
Old 22 Jun 2005, 03:31 (Ref:1336716)   #5
ggreen29
Racer

Max's decision on Sunday did the opposite, hence I question his judgement...again.
Old 22 Jun 2005, 03:51 (Ref:1336735)   #6
Raglanparade
Veteran

Australia
Raglanparade should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think there may be some truth in this 'new era' statement.

Over the last ten years, the companies that support Formula 1 have gained increasing power (through the increased volumes of money flowing through the sport).

Michelin tryed to use there tyre supply advantage to out muscle the rules of the sport. Some may even suggest that Michelin attempted to hold the FIA to ransom over the US GP.

The FIA stood up and made a stand, and did so for the good of the sport. The underlying argument by Max and Bernie is that the FIA rules the the sport, not Michelin, not Ferrari, or any other Manufacturer or Supplier.

The US GP debarcle could have been avoided, yes. But it would have set a precedent of businesses and players in Formula 1 having power over the FIA.

Formula 1 will go on, it always has, and always will. F1 can live without Michelin, F1 can live without Ferrari, F1 will always be F1, and will always have an audience. What the FIA has to concentrate on now is making the best of the current situation, without backing down on there 'we are the boss' stance.
Old 22 Jun 2005, 05:03 (Ref:1336760)   #7
ggreen29
Racer

Their "'we are the boss' stance" has created the smallest F1 fields in my lifetime (and I'm not referring to the 6 at Indy). The folks at the top maybe making money, but their physical product is shrinking. As the micromanagement increases the field decreases. The trend shows no sign of reversing.
Old 22 Jun 2005, 06:03 (Ref:1336782)   #8
frederick
Rookie

frederick should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I certainly think it's a new era

Max can rant and rave about the rules all he wants, they're empty threats
If the 7 teams and Michelin tell him to get stuffed what's he going to do?
Kick them out of the championship?
dis-affiliate them from the FIA?

That's exactly what they want

Max wins !
he's left with Ferrari, Jordan and Minardi in the "official" F1 championship
Old 22 Jun 2005, 07:21 (Ref:1336818)   #9
Red
Veteran

Romania
Bucharest, Romania
Red should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The teams had signed a certain Concorde Agreement. They too have obligations. The 7 teams and Michelin can't tell him to stuff it. Before 2008 that is.
Old 22 Jun 2005, 07:28 (Ref:1336823)   #10
Dutton
Veteran

United Nations
Not Much North of Montana
Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!
Well they could, it would just cost them a lot of money.
Old 22 Jun 2005, 07:52 (Ref:1336835)   #11
frederick
Rookie

frederick should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Well this is only the FIA we're talking about. It's not as if they're a sovereign state or anything, they might try to sue but against 5 manufacturers and a tyre company they will only get tied-up in the courts for years
and the main reason for their existing will have gone, along with any authority over lesser classes of motorsport being diminished as a result
Old 22 Jun 2005, 11:32 (Ref:1337029)   #12
Robert Duncan
Rookie

United Kingdom
Ann Arbor, Michigan, USA
Robert Duncan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonhill9884
Formula 1 will go on, it always has, and always will.
But will it be Formula One or Formula Max.

Why do we need another spec series?

We already have spec series in the states that use various sets of common tires, transmissions, brakes, suspension, ECM and engines. They provide great racing, but they are not F1.

Maybe F1 should be renamed International Racing League. Yeah, IRL that's the ticket .
Old 22 Jun 2005, 11:48 (Ref:1337039)   #13
Hip Priest
Racer

Hip Priest should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonhill9884
I think there may be some truth in this 'new era' statement.

Over the last ten years, the companies that support Formula 1 have gained increasing power (through the increased volumes of money flowing through the sport).

Michelin tryed to use there tyre supply advantage to out muscle the rules of the sport. Some may even suggest that Michelin attempted to hold the FIA to ransom over the US GP.

The FIA stood up and made a stand, and did so for the good of the sport. The underlying argument by Max and Bernie is that the FIA rules the the sport, not Michelin, not Ferrari, or any other Manufacturer or Supplier.

The US GP debarcle could have been avoided, yes. But it would have set a precedent of businesses and players in Formula 1 having power over the FIA.

Formula 1 will go on, it always has, and always will. F1 can live without Michelin, F1 can live without Ferrari, F1 will always be F1, and will always have an audience. What the FIA has to concentrate on now is making the best of the current situation, without backing down on there 'we are the boss' stance.
I agree that the FIA should act more like "The Boss".

However, if i made an large mistake in work, my boss would punish me, but he would also come up with a way of working around the mistake so that our client wasn't adversely affected by it.

Your should also let Max know that Ferrari are not bigger than F1 too. Because when Bridgestone turned up at a sodden Interlagos with no wet tyres, everyone had to do the first few laps under yellow flags until the track had dried sufficiently for Ferrari to use their intermediates. However, when Michelin make the exact same mistake, the same treatment is not forthcoming.
Old 22 Jun 2005, 12:15 (Ref:1337075)   #14
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
From what I rememebr the issue at Interlagos was more than Michelin hadn't brought suitable wet tyres for the monsoonal conditions (it was probably as wet as we've seen in F1 for a decade). If you're right, then the whole thing is even more sordid than we thought.