Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Motorsport Art & Photography

Old 24 May 2006, 01:23 (Ref:1617548)   #1
pplater
Veteran

Australia
Sydney
pplater should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridpplater should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Canon DSLR Advice needed

Hi,

I've inherited some nice Pentax M42 (screw) lenses and I'd like to use these on a DSLR (currently use Fuji S7000).

I can use them on the Pentax digital bodies (with an adapter) or i can buy adapters to use the lenses on Canon or Nikon Digital bodies, without effect on any operating feature.

Would the Canon be a better move for the future, as I'm likely not to buy another body after this for 5 years or so?

Thanks.

(I'm thinking 350d with vert.grip, or maybe nice used 10D... can't stretch to a 20D or 30D)
Old 24 May 2006, 07:25 (Ref:1617626)   #2
WouterM
Racer

Netherlands
WouterM should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by pplater
(I'm thinking 350d with vert.grip, or maybe nice used 10D... can't stretch to a 20D or 30D)
Don't get a 10D, they are very unreliable. I know from personal experience and have heard many other stories especially concerning shutter failure. It depends on your needs what you want to get. A 350D is good enough for stationary stuff, but for action I'd go for the 20D. It is worth the premium.
Old 24 May 2006, 08:33 (Ref:1617692)   #3
Elio
Veteran

Elio should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Here`s my story re 10D shutters....

I`ve only had to replace it once - it went over 200,000 cycles first time round.....

It is now my back up camera to a 20D. My 20D didn`t manage much over 100,000 cycles before it failed first time. Second time around it managed around 70,000..... Very disappointing by comparison.

That said, the servo focus on the 20D is a lot better than the 10D - though don`t get me wrong, the 10D is still a very capable camera. (Higher ISOs also much more useable on the 20D).

Can`t really comment on the 350D - if it uses the same focussing gear as the 20D then I`m sure it`s every bit as good as the 20D - the only difference will be the size and weight of the thing and the fact it will feel a little cheaper and "plasticy" in your hands.

You will always find some who say a particular camera is great and another is bad etc, etc. On the whole, I don`t think any of the 10D, 20D, 30D, 300D, 350D line are turkey`s.... That said, don`t buy a 300D unless you want to "hack" the software - many of the capabilities of this camera are taken away (ie. servo focus in manual mode) by restrictive software.
Old 24 May 2006, 10:52 (Ref:1617786)   #4
Dex
Racer

Dex should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
i use a pentax IST D, and love the fact that since most pros tend towards Nikon and Canon i've got less people bidding against me on ebay
Old 24 May 2006, 13:04 (Ref:1617870)   #5
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by WouterM
Don't get a 10D, they are very unreliable. I know from personal experience and have heard many other stories especially concerning shutter failure. It depends on your needs what you want to get. A 350D is good enough for stationary stuff, but for action I'd go for the 20D. It is worth the premium.

My 10D was absolutely spot on when I bought it and is still spot on now.......
Old 24 May 2006, 13:31 (Ref:1617894)   #6
WouterM
Racer

Netherlands
WouterM should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aysedasi
My 10D was absolutely spot on when I bought it and is still spot on now.......
I guess you are lucky. When I bought my 1D, I tried trading in my 10D, but they did not want to get anywhere near it.
Old 25 May 2006, 11:38 (Ref:1618576)   #7
Tim the Grey
Veteran

Wales
Across the M40 from Gaydon...
Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!
Check prices for Olympus E-1 with additional battery grip from Cameta on ebay? Around £300 for something with 1D build spec...
M42 adaptors go for around £17.

They will of course be manual focus, whatever digi body you fit them to, and stop down metering to boot...

Tim
Old 25 May 2006, 14:04 (Ref:1618682)   #8
alfacors
Veteran

alfacors should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridalfacors should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
My 10D is going strong.... 2.5 years old now, I'm the second owner and put 30,000 actuations in 6 months onto it. It's a great camera.

My 20D is also going strong. Both will get a solid workout this weekend