Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing

View Poll Results: Do you want traction control in Sportscar racing?
Yes 8 36.36%
No 14 63.64%
Voters: 22. You may not vote on this poll

Old 4 Jun 2007, 20:30 (Ref:1928764)   #26
AU N EGL
Veteran

United States
Raleigh, North Carolina
AU N EGL should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridAU N EGL should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAG

TC in competition cars can be set-up to allow cars to push the tail out without spinning, and be quicker all round.
That is called TTO, Trailing Throttle Oversteer. Dont need TC to do that, just a quick lift of the throttle in the corner will do that.

quick lift and back on the throttle, the rear will slide ever so slighlty.
Old 4 Jun 2007, 21:04 (Ref:1928788)   #27
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Works best in an old 911
Old 4 Jun 2007, 21:23 (Ref:1928814)   #28
AU N EGL
Veteran

United States
Raleigh, North Carolina
AU N EGL should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridAU N EGL should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamAshmore
Works best in an old 911
YES IT DOES
Old 4 Jun 2007, 21:23 (Ref:1928815)   #29
JHamilton
Veteran

United States
Atlanta, GA
JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Badger
Well j hamilton ..... what would you have to say about traction control & ground effect's on the same car ?

You might end up with a F1 style precession in sportscars !!! No thanks
Some may argue that's what you have now. Most position changes are made in the pit lane....it's just harder to tell because of the multiple classes. Traction control is also hard to regulate. There are some conspiracy theorist that believe the R8 had some form of traction control. I personally never heard it....I also never saw the car lay down even the slightest black mark.

If the ALMS continues to schedule street courses, I want all the cars to have TC.
Old 4 Jun 2007, 21:29 (Ref:1928822)   #30
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Poll added, so that JHamilton can vote yes and AU N EGL can vote no.

At the moment I guess it would be a no overall, but we'll see.
Old 4 Jun 2007, 21:41 (Ref:1928832)   #31
chernaudi
Veteran

United States
Mansfield, Ohio
chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!
As I said, if the guys from Audi can race the R10 in the ALMS/Le Mans without TCS, why can't anyone else. Some teams can't afford it, some don't like it(I've even heard that in F1, some drivers take weird lines to avoid setting it off). So get rid of it.
Old 4 Jun 2007, 21:43 (Ref:1928834)   #32
JHamilton
Veteran

United States
Atlanta, GA
JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:

At the moment I guess it would be a no overall, but we'll see.
lmao...."yes" is in the lead, but for how long?

And to clarify....it's not that I'm all for TC, but I don't want to see to many of these beautiful cars lying in bits on street circuits.
Old 4 Jun 2007, 21:44 (Ref:1928835)   #33
JHamilton
Veteran

United States
Atlanta, GA
Quote:
Originally Posted by chernaudi
As I said, if the guys from Audi can race the R10 in the ALMS/Le Mans without TCS, why can't anyone else. Some teams can't afford it, some don't like it(I've even heard that in F1, some drivers take weird lines to avoid setting it off). So get rid of it.
My understanding is that the R10 has been running TC all season. You couldn't hear it even if they were.
Old 4 Jun 2007, 22:45 (Ref:1928882)   #34
AU N EGL
Veteran

United States
Raleigh, North Carolina
Quote:
NO.
Old 4 Jun 2007, 22:54 (Ref:1928889)   #35
AU N EGL
Veteran

United States
Raleigh, North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by JHamilton
lmao...."yes" is in the lead, but for how long?

And to clarify....it's not that I'm all for TC, but I don't want to see to many of these beautiful cars lying in bits on street circuits.
TC is not going to stop that. Getting rid of bad drivers will or not allowing un proven or FIA Group C drivers into the big time will.

I came down Road Atlanta under the bridge going into T12, my normal left side of the under the yellow marker, prey( track falls away so quickly that I cant see the pavement infront of my sloping hood, ) and pull right, then sweep left and as I roll the right foot to the floor was all F upped not too long ago. TC kept me too about 100 on T12 were I normally run 111-112 mph into the Road Atlanta front straight.

I forgot to turn the TC OFF so I could slide aournd T12.

Halmiton get yourself to a wet skid pad. try a little car control with TC on and OFF. Then let us know how you feel.
Old 5 Jun 2007, 01:53 (Ref:1928970)   #36
chewymonster
Veteran

chewymonster should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Well, F1 currently has TC. Next year it won't. We can watch that.
Old 5 Jun 2007, 02:34 (Ref:1928980)   #37
Danske
Veteran

Danske should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Can we have one division with ABS, GPS, power steering, power brakes, radial tires, TC, SC, moveable aerodynamics, and wee little turbo engines, and another division all that banned with big V8s?
Old 5 Jun 2007, 05:07 (Ref:1929015)   #38
jhansen
Veteran

United States
California
jhansen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridjhansen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridjhansen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danske
Can we have one division with ABS, GPS, power steering, power brakes, radial tires, TC, SC, moveable aerodynamics, and wee little turbo engines, and another division all that banned with big V8s?
We are discussing the pros and cons of traction control in sportscar racing, not which series do or don't use it. Thanks.
Old 5 Jun 2007, 05:31 (Ref:1929018)   #39
djb
Veteran

djb should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddjb should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddjb should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddjb should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
excuse my ignorance, but as it stands now, is it presently the case that some teams have it and some don't? If so, then the haves and havenots aspect of it certainly plays a bad part, not even getting into the "ethics" of it, but simply money getting a better system than another team.

When I was at Lemans in 2004, standing at Arnage, I honestly don't recall if tc was being used, pretty bad that I don't have audio memories of it, but I don't.
Old 5 Jun 2007, 12:45 (Ref:1929306)   #40
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Numpty boy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AU N EGL
NO.
I've just looked to see that you did vote no and realised that I voted incorrectly. Blast, I clicked yes instead of no. Numpty. I have alter the number to reflect, but forever will I be associated with yes!

Now 6-6.
Old 5 Jun 2007, 12:54 (Ref:1929318)   #41
SebringMG
Veteran

United Kingdom
SebringMG should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The majority of teams do have it - the lola's certainly do, porsche do, zytek probably do......not sure on Pesca and Courage...
Old 5 Jun 2007, 12:58 (Ref:1929320)   #42
tux
Veteran

United Kingdom
United Kingdom
tux should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtux should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtux should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
in my opinion i dont really see why it matters, yes it does make the cars easier to drive and does detract from the drivers skill a little bit but it makes it easier for the less experienced drivers to drive and considering in a few cars the drivers are not very experienced it makes it easier for them and safer for the other drivers
Old 5 Jun 2007, 14:02 (Ref:1929371)   #43
The Badger
Veteran

The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!
So do ground effect's !!!

So , bring them back then , not .
Old 5 Jun 2007, 14:53 (Ref:1929407)   #44
jhansen
Veteran

United States
California
jhansen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridjhansen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridjhansen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
I've just looked to see that you did vote no and realised that I voted incorrectly. Blast, I clicked yes instead of no. Numpty. I have alter the number to reflect, but forever will I be associated with yes!

Now 6-6.
It was the F1 fan in you.
Old 5 Jun 2007, 15:12 (Ref:1929421)   #45
Fogelhund
Veteran

Canada
Binbrook, ON Canada
Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!
I'd rather there be no Traction Control, but I doubt that it could be truly policed. The big budget manufacturers would still find a way to have traction control in their programming, which would further disadvantage the privateers.
Old 5 Jun 2007, 15:25 (Ref:1929430)   #46
JHamilton
Veteran

United States
Atlanta, GA
Quote:
Originally Posted by AU N EGL
TC is not going to stop that. Getting rid of bad drivers will or not allowing un proven or FIA Group C drivers into the big time will.

I came down Road Atlanta under the bridge going into T12, my normal left side of the under the yellow marker, prey( track falls away so quickly that I cant see the pavement infront of my sloping hood, ) and pull right, then sweep left and as I roll the right foot to the floor was all F upped not too long ago. TC kept me too about 100 on T12 were I normally run 111-112 mph into the Road Atlanta front straight.

I forgot to turn the TC OFF so I could slide aournd T12.

Halmiton get yourself to a wet skid pad. try a little car control with TC on and OFF. Then let us know how you feel.
I hear ya and your probably right. From the laymans perspective it would seem that TC would help though. Getting rid of the street circuits would help too. My point is that how the rules are structured now, I don't think it's hurting anything.

I'd love to try a wet skid pad but don't think there are any available for the general public. Maybe a cul-de-sac in the rain will suffice? I've been the victim of TC myself before and I've found it embarrasing....Trying to be Billy Badass is difficult when the ECU is killing spark. Oh, and 100+mph out of T12 is gettin' it....I've done several track days and 85mph is about all I can muster before wussy foot kicks in.
Old 5 Jun 2007, 16:08 (Ref:1929473)   #47
AU N EGL
Veteran

United States
Raleigh, North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by JHamilton
...I've done several track days and 85mph is about all I can muster before wussy foot kicks in.
Nothing wrong with a wussy foot in T12. from T11 up over the hill and diving down in to T12 takes more guts, big balls and very small brains.

Maybe your the smart one.
Old 5 Jun 2007, 16:10 (Ref:1929475)   #48
AU N EGL
Veteran

United States
Raleigh, North Carolina
Quote:

Now 6-6.
Adam.
Old 5 Jun 2007, 21:21 (Ref:1929698)   #49
chernaudi
Veteran

United States
Mansfield, Ohio
chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!
I think who runs TCS in sportscar has more to do with the engine supplier than the teams themselves. I don't know if Judd has an ASR system with their ECUs. AER had one for the 3.6 V8, but they never got it to work. Audi never had on for the 3.6 TFSI V8(that my be different now). And Audi's '07 R10 may be using it, but the '06 cars(which were used between Sebring and LM test day) don't, unless they use the '07 electronics package. And Peugeot said that they'd design one for the 908, but I don't know if their using it yet, just like Audi last year.