Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > My Track Designs

Old 18 Jun 2007, 18:51 (Ref:1940972)   #1
Yannick
Veteran

Yannick should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Gruntly

Hello my Trackers,

this time around, I've dug up another old one that I haven't already posted, from the archive - or the crypt (you decide ;-)

The original idea and concept of the track is from way back in my very early days of track design, so maybe 1992. The graphics shown here are a redrawing of it from the late 90s. I've been too lazy to redraw the track, as I don't rate it too highly - in fact, I wonder now whether I ever rated it well. I'm posting it now, because it's somewhat got the same novelty effect as the track I posted last time around, Elk's Head.

Pens aren't recommended for drawing racetracks on paper. This sketch had drawing errors aplenty, and I couldn't photoshop away all of them. I hope you don't mind. And please excuse the weird colour scheme, too, which is related to the main theme of the track. Thanks. Blue was used for the track itself and buildings, pink for the guardrail and green for a slightly hideous racing line.

But now let's get on to the track itself:

http://i56.photobucket.com/albums/g1...y_clean_40.jpg
http://i56.photobucket.com/albums/g1...outline_40.jpg

The Pig's Club Circuit, located near the village of Gruntly, which could be everywhere in central Europe, is a rather narrow club circuit that runs anticlockwise.
Its shape is based on the logo of the club that owns it: a pig's head. The track's length of around 3.2 kilometers is suitable for touring cars, Formula Ford, Formula 3, WSbR (used to be Formula Renault, then Renault World Series doesn't it - why do they keep renaming the thing?), but both karting events and the different Porsche Cups, too. Anyhow, the Pigs Racing Club favours to fill the place up with wet mud for their stock car races with trashy cars from the junkyard.
There is not much going on in terms of altitude changes on the track, at least not what I know of. Anyway, there are places where the drawing suggests a tightening of the track: these are just drawing errors. Sorry for that, but this drawing is so old.

It only has a rather short front straight, which is leading away from the carousel (modelled on the Nordschleife one) and out of the infield to the bottom of the drawing. If there are more than 20 cars starting a race, they must line up on the exit of the carousel.
The only location I could place the pitlane in, which would enhance the sight of a pig's face from the aerial view, has been the one you see in the drawing: surrounding the carousel, which mimicks as the pig's nose. I used to have a drawing of the track, where the pig's ears stand upright, but people told me it looked like a cat, so I changed it to what you see here (back in the 90s).
From the roof of the pitlane building, spectating club members got the best view of the action on track.

For single seaters, the main overtaking spots would be the corners at the end of each of the pig's cheeks, though it's possible to squeeze your car through at the 2nd of the Esses on the top left of the track diagram, when your opponent makes a mistake.
I think the only things that sets this club circuit apart from other club circuits is the rareness of straights and the carousel in the middle. But beware: Motorsport is dangerous, especially when there are "Pigs" racing against you ...
Old 18 Jun 2007, 18:59 (Ref:1940984)   #2
Rockmunky
Veteran

England
'artfordshire
Rockmunky should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridRockmunky should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hmm, i dunno.. the middle section is rather samey... Not your best, but the top section is alright.

I'm trying to think of what this reminds me of....Biology textbooks seem to have a similar looking diagram
Old 18 Jun 2007, 19:25 (Ref:1941006)   #3
ScotsBrutesFan
Race Official
Veteran

Scotland
West Lothian
ScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockmunky
I'm trying to think of what this reminds me of....Biology textbooks seem to have a similar looking diagram
That was my first thought as well.

Umm, the symmetry doesn't really work for me in terms of a racing circuit. The infield with the pits is very strange.

Definitely not your best I'm afraid.
Old 21 Jun 2007, 08:17 (Ref:1943139)   #4
Yannick
Veteran

Thanks for the comments. I posted this track despite knowing it's basically an old joke. In fact, I had pretty much abandoned this design over the years. But you caught me totally unaware of the biological connotation that the drawing has, because in its version with the upright ears, this is not noticeable.

I've got a few ideas for further tracks in the drawer at the time, but I like each of my tracks to have something special to them. I'm mostly busy with other things at the time, so it's not so easy coming up with special features.
Still, I've got a further two old road circuits to post, whose names I don't like anymore because they are derivations of real track names.

See you next time around
Yannick
Old 25 Jun 2007, 10:30 (Ref:1946176)   #5
shambles
Veteran

England
Soton, UK
shambles should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridshambles should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Ahh Vagina Raceway, lovely.
Old 25 Jun 2007, 19:32 (Ref:1946646)   #6
Rockmunky
Veteran

England
'artfordshire
Rockmunky should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridRockmunky should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Nice and blunt there, Paul!!
Old 26 Jun 2007, 00:12 (Ref:1946866)   #7
Alwaysfirst
Veteran

United Kingdom
The rural idyl.
Alwaysfirst should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hahahahaha!!!!!!!!

RIP Marco Simoncelli, 1987-2011. 2008 250cc champion
Old 26 Jun 2007, 18:26 (Ref:1947483)   #8
Yannick
Veteran

Well, sometimes things slip from the subconcious of young adolescents into their creative work, it seems. In no way did I intend to discriminate anybody with this design, but the resemblance of the design to female body parts completely escaped my censorship, whilst I was exclusively busy thinking about, well, ... , curves. I know that I might be going out on a slippery track with this speech of mine, but all the best drivers are good in the wet. I'm awfully sorry if I touched something sensual here, so dear ladies on the board, please accept my sincere apologies, which I gelled with some humour for the boys will be boys, on the grounds that I just vaguely knew what I was doing.
Since by now, by growing up, I've become quite an admirer of the shape that this track represents, I guess the original backstory to it is crap, and I'd better come up with a more charming one, and a proper title.
That's all for today, folks. The question remains, who will be coming up with an AVUS-inspired "Cox Raceway" ;-)
Old 26 Jun 2007, 21:00 (Ref:1947617)   #9
nickyf1
Veteran

Scotland
City of Glasgow, Scotland, UK
nickyf1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridnickyf1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
me!

Just kidding um... nice track, flows well, very symmetrical and unique design.
Old 2 Jul 2007, 17:26 (Ref:1952578)   #10
Yannick
Veteran

Well, nickyf1, why not? Feel free to go ahead with that track idea. But please make sure that the design is not X-rated, because there are minors on this board.
Old 3 Jul 2007, 11:34 (Ref:1953334)   #11
Rockmunky
Veteran

England
'artfordshire
I think nicky is possibly the youngest member on tenths

Still, yeah... be careful