Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 10 Apr 2009, 16:28 (Ref:2438153)   #1
veeten
Veteran

United States
Temple Hills, Md.
veeten should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridveeten should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
The return of Cosworth

and look who may be the team responsible...

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/74391
Old 10 Apr 2009, 16:45 (Ref:2438163)   #2
Daniel Pinnegar
Racer

United Kingdom
Southampton UK
Daniel Pinnegar should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'm really looking forward to USF1 joining F1 now.

I hope hey are something like Super Aguri by being a close-nit team that outperform the factory teams.
Old 10 Apr 2009, 17:40 (Ref:2438196)   #3
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel Pinnegar View Post

I hope hey are something like Super Aguri by being a close-nit team that outperform the factory teams.
Or maybe they'll be like BAR.

Best of luck though to the USGPUSAAA1XYZF1 Team.
Old 10 Apr 2009, 21:48 (Ref:2438317)   #4
fredd1
Racer

fredd1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Think you mean nit as in knit.
Presently there're enough nit teams in F1.
Old 10 Apr 2009, 22:40 (Ref:2438343)   #5
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by veeten View Post
and look who may be the team responsible...

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/74391
Surprise !!!!
Old 10 Apr 2009, 22:50 (Ref:2438346)   #6
luke
Veteran

England
West Sussex, England
luke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridluke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Cosworth back in F1....where it should be.
Old 11 Apr 2009, 00:50 (Ref:2438382)   #7
JeremySmith
Veteran

United Kingdom
Austin Texas
JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!
Brilliant...The name Cosworth should be right there..
Old 11 Apr 2009, 01:41 (Ref:2438398)   #8
Burnsie
Official Timekeeper!
Veteran

Burnsie should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBurnsie should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBurnsie should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
It will be good to see Cosworth back in F1, but I can't help but feel that this USF1 crowd aren't fully aware of how tough and unforgiving this sport can be. As Marbot says, we might end up with another BAR-type scenario. Talking the talk is the easy part...

But yes, definitely good to hear the Cosworth rumours.
Old 11 Apr 2009, 01:46 (Ref:2438400)   #9
JeremySmith
Veteran

United Kingdom
Austin Texas
JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!
It does seem to be looking through rose tinted glasses from the USF1 point of view..We could all be very surprised at the same time?
Old 11 Apr 2009, 09:14 (Ref:2438480)   #10
Pro Racer
Veteran

Australia
Earth
Pro Racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
kinda fits USF1/Cosworth.
Old 11 Apr 2009, 10:02 (Ref:2438498)   #11
VIVA GT
Veteran

England
Leicestershire
VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!
Great news (with rose tinted spectacles on).
But (spectacles off), although Cosworth is an iconic name in the history of motorsport we must be aware that the company now bears very little resemblance to the Coswoth company that we all remember from their heyday.
Old 11 Apr 2009, 10:08 (Ref:2438500)   #12
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by VIVA GT View Post
Great news (with rose tinted spectacles on).
But (spectacles off), although Cosworth is an iconic name in the history of motorsport we must be aware that the company now bears very little resemblance to the Cosworth company that we all remember from their heyday.
Had I got here sooner, I would have made that point.

And aren't the management of this new team ex members of other teams? If so I suggest they will be fully aware of the piranha club.
Old 11 Apr 2009, 13:26 (Ref:2438569)   #13
veeten
Veteran

United States
Temple Hills, Md.
veeten should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridveeten should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Mallett View Post
And aren't the management of this new team ex members of other teams? If so I suggest they will be fully aware of the piranha club.
Yes. If one checks the bio's of both gentlemen whom are the chief principals of this new team, then they will know that these aren't exactly 'johnny-come-latelys' to the sport... unlike those that have over the last couple of decades.
It's the reason that I have a little more trust in their ability to run a team over a longer stretch of time.
Old 12 Apr 2009, 11:23 (Ref:2439222)   #14
Yannick
Veteran

Yannick should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Cosworth have won the FIA / Max official spec-engine deal. So Maybe Team US GPE won't be the only ones using it. That can only be a good thing for engine development.
Old 12 Apr 2009, 13:36 (Ref:2439281)   #15
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Yeah, F1 will be a spec-engine series.
Old 12 Apr 2009, 16:22 (Ref:2439350)   #16
duke_toaster
Veteran

European Union
Englandland
duke_toaster should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridduke_toaster should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I don't think there is much chance of a spec engine in the sense of the entire grid using it, however Max wants the option for teams to use a cheap Cosworth unit. I don't forsee his totally spec engine scheme working.
Old 12 Apr 2009, 22:57 (Ref:2439523)   #17
stedevil
Veteran

Sweden
stedevil has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bononi View Post
Yeah, F1 will be a spec-engine series.
Well, semi spec engine really, for teams on a tight budget. If done correctly, I think it can be a really good thing. Allow flexibility for big teams, and still give small teams a chance for glory. It could of course also crash and burn horribly if not properly managed. But lets see what happens
Old 17 Apr 2009, 16:44 (Ref:2443157)   #18
Born Racer
Race Official
Veteran

Born Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I reckon an engine supplier that will provide for anyone would be a good situation if more teams are allowed. It'd be a bit like the 90s when anyone who started up seemed to be able to get hold of a Ford. I'd hate to see a spec-engine though, because I don't think F1 should be a spec series (with the exception of tyres because they were becoming too critical a performance differential at the height of the Michelin/Bridgestone battle).
Old 17 Apr 2009, 17:41 (Ref:2443181)   #19
duke_toaster
Veteran

European Union
Englandland
duke_toaster should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridduke_toaster should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I have to agree with that Born Racer. Engine suppliers should be required to supply engines for a certain price per engine to a certain number of teams like the old rules for tyres.

Quote:
No engine may be used in the championship unless the company supplying engines accepts and adheres to the following conditions

Four or less suppliers : each engine supplier must be prepared to equip up to 40% of the entered teams at €N per engine.
Five or more suppliers : each engine supplier must be prepared to equip up to 30% of the entered teams at €N per engine
Maybe use those ideas at lower levels of motor racing for chassis and engines, that way costs will be kept in check.
Old 19 Apr 2009, 12:25 (Ref:2444661)   #20
Born Racer
Race Official
Veteran

Born Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
I don't think F1 should be a spec series (with the exception of tyres because they were becoming too critical a performance differential at the height of the Michelin/Bridgestone battle).
This point is assisted by the fact that I find engine development and competition interesting, but just never found the same with tyre development. Perhaps it helps that engine developments are easier for me to grasp and engage with, whereas tyre developments are invisible and not something I find so instinctively satisfying to follow.
Old 20 Apr 2009, 10:58 (Ref:2445372)   #21
duke_toaster
Veteran

European Union
Englandland
Quote:
Originally Posted by Born Racer View Post
This point is assisted by the fact that I find engine development and competition interesting, but just never found the same with tyre development. Perhaps it helps that engine developments are easier for me to grasp and engage with, whereas tyre developments are invisible and not something I find so instinctively satisfying to follow.
Also tyre developments are not so important as the cost/benefit ration goes, as they are not so road relevant. It's difficult to determine tyre performance in numbers like it is for engines. One pet idea of mine for engines is to limit the power produced to a fixed amount and provide more freedom regarding how it is generated, using pump fuel and a system of somehow incentivising fuel economy, be it a test mid-season or otherwise.
Old 23 Apr 2009, 18:33 (Ref:2448057)   #22
Racer 35
Racer

England
South Derbyshire
Racer 35 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
So, let's see.
Cosworth engines, slicks, no refuelling, small budgets, more cars, more teams, more overtaking.
Have I been through a time warp, and ended up in the mid 70s?