Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Racing Technology

Old 21 Jan 2010, 12:58 (Ref:2616913)   #1
Alex Laidlaw
Rookie

Alex Laidlaw should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Spot light wiring/relay question

I am wiring up spots onto a road car. In order to have them coming on with the main beam only is it OK to put the cars standard main beam wire (with full current for standard 55W headlights) through the low current/switching side of a standard 30A automotive relay or will it create a large voltage drop/blow up the relay?

I don't need to put the normal headlights on relays because I don't like being stuck with over bright dipped beams that are rather anti-social and attract plod.

I have tried to show a wiring diagram of what I want to do.

Old 21 Jan 2010, 13:31 (Ref:2616928)   #2
VIVA GT
Veteran

England
Leicestershire
VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!
Hi Alex, I'm not sure about your diagram (or your description), but this is how I wired the Super Oscars up when I fitted them to my Viva GT in the 70's:

As you suggest, using a relay with (fused) power directly from the battery, and one side of the switching section of the relay was earthed. I then took a signal wire from the main beam circuit (by adding an extra wire), through a switch, to trigger the switching side of the relay.
(Putting the whole power supply for the main beam headlams as you suggest would not be a good idea in my opinion).
Good luck with it mate.
Old 21 Jan 2010, 14:41 (Ref:2616969)   #3
Alex Laidlaw
Rookie

Alex Laidlaw should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
On second thoughts I think it is an exceptionally bad idea to try and put all that current through a thin coil inside the relay, even if it doesn't burn out I think my normal headlights would have an unacceptable voltage drop. I think I might put the main beams onto relays with direct power as well and use the normal main beam power wire as my signal wire, not terribly neat but at least it gets the job done quickly. I'm rallying on Friday and I had scarily hopeless lighting on the last rally I did!
Old 21 Jan 2010, 18:40 (Ref:2617082)   #4
oneofapair
Racer

oneofapair should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I am no expert on this type of thing but I would of thought that the "Signal" from your Main beam wire will energise the coil in your solenoid/relay to enable the switch part of the solenoid to make contact.The power to your spots will then be supplied direct from battery throught the switch part onto spot lights.
Old 21 Jan 2010, 21:56 (Ref:2617186)   #5
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
Kent+Mojacar Spain, but not always ?
GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!
Just powering the coil side in a normal relay from the HL wires will cause no problems.
Using relays on normal headlamps improves them no end if they are fitted close to the lamps and stops dip switches buning out.
Balls of steel (knob of butter) They're Asking For Larkins. ( Proper beer) not you're Eurofizz crap. Hace más calor en España. Me han conocido a hablar un montón cojones! Send any cheques and cash to PO box 1 Lagos Nigeria Africa !
Old 24 Jan 2010, 11:37 (Ref:2618501)   #6
AlexH
Rookie

United Kingdom
Hereford
AlexH should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex Laidlaw View Post
I am wiring up spots onto a road car. In order to have them coming on with the main beam only is it OK to put the cars standard main beam wire (with full current for standard 55W headlights) through the low current/switching side of a standard 30A automotive relay or will it create a large voltage drop/blow up the relay?

I don't need to put the normal headlights on relays because I don't like being stuck with over bright dipped beams that are rather anti-social and attract plod.

I have tried to show a wiring diagram of what I want to do.

Hi Alex,

If you send me your Email address I will draw a circuit that will work fine with the relay supplying power to the spot lights on full beam. All the best, Alex.
Old 26 Jan 2010, 22:00 (Ref:2619980)   #7
R59
Veteran

Heard and McDonald Islands
Bedfordshire
R59 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridR59 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
OK, standard automotive relay - note the terminal numbers:
Connect 85 to the main beam on your car (via a dash switch if you want),
Connect 86 to ground.
Connect 30 to battery +ve via a 20A fuse (at the battery end).
Connect 87 to your spot lanterns (with the -ve terminal on the spots to battery negative)

Use 4mm wire from the battery to the relay, and from the relay to your spots (and for the ground wire.

You can use 1mm wire for the "signal" wire from the main beam via your switch to the relay.

Use good quality crimp connectors (DO NOT SOLDER!) with a proper ratchet crimp tool.

Any questions?
Old 27 Jan 2010, 08:04 (Ref:2620155)   #8
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
terence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridterence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
As above but with a Hella relay,they do one with a pullout 20amp Blade Fuse in the body.
Old 27 Jan 2010, 22:05 (Ref:2620635)   #9
R59
Veteran

Bedfordshire
R59 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridR59 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
No no no! ALWAYS fuse at the battery for things like this. If it goes belly up between the battery and the relay, then the fuse blows, rather than the wire burning out (and the car catching fire). I've seen far too many "amateur" wiring jobs go up in flames.

Vehicle manufacturers have cottoned on to much of this these days, take most VAG cars that have a power distribution unit on the battery positive terminal with a bunch of fuses.
Old 27 Jan 2010, 22:57 (Ref:2620662)   #10
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
Kent+Mojacar Spain, but not always ?
GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by R59 View Post
I've seen far too many "amateur" wiring jobs go up in flames.

The best one I saw was a customer that was trying to fit a child seat belt in an estate car that had a double skinned rear floor. He drilled through it to put in the mounting eye and drilled right through the rear loom and even tightened the eye up
Depending on the application I tend to run the earth to a relay on the coil side via the switch inside. Its easy to do as you don't have to find a suitable + feed. Also if the wire chafes through it doesn't cause any grief.
Balls of steel (knob of butter) They're Asking For Larkins. ( Proper beer) not you're Eurofizz crap. Hace más calor en España. Me han conocido a hablar un montón cojones! Send any cheques and cash to PO box 1 Lagos Nigeria Africa !
Old 28 Jan 2010, 01:08 (Ref:2620715)   #11
thebear
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

United States
85mi S. of Daytona, 125mi NE of Sebring
thebear should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridthebear should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Motoring Madness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex Laidlaw View Post
On second thoughts I think it is an exceptionally bad idea to try and put all that current through a thin coil inside the relay, even if it doesn't burn out I think my normal headlights would have an unacceptable voltage drop. I think I might put the main beams onto relays with direct power as well and use the normal main beam power wire as my signal wire, not terribly neat but at least it gets the job done quickly. I'm rallying on Friday and I had scarily hopeless lighting on the last rally I did!
You are mistaken. The voltage/current for the lights goes thru the contacts of the relay, not the coil. The coil only `operates' the contacts.

The wire's route(s) should be as follows:

Battery -> fuse -> lamp -> relay contact(s) - > earth

and

Battery - fuse (1 or 2 amp) or switched side of existing high beam source -> relay coil -> new switch -> earth.

This will allow the new lamp to operate only when the high beams are on as well as when the new switch is operated.

You are `grounding' a device in order to operate it which is contrary to the way residential and industrial wiring is done. However, it is common practice in the automotive world.

- ZOTCH -
Old 28 Jan 2010, 05:35 (Ref:2620779)   #12
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
terence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridterence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by R59 View Post
No no no! ALWAYS fuse at the battery for things like this. If it goes belly up between the battery and the relay, then the fuse blows, rather than the wire burning out (and the car catching fire). I've seen far too many "amateur" wiring jobs go up in flames.

Vehicle manufacturers have cottoned on to much of this these days, take most VAG cars that have a power distribution unit on the battery positive terminal with a bunch of fuses.
So why do Hella obviously think them to be a good idea?
Old 31 Jan 2010, 23:20 (Ref:2623315)   #13
R59
Veteran

Bedfordshire
They are a good idea. Don't get me wrong.

My day to day work is emergency services vehicles, and we always switch the positive, with the supplies fused at source (the battery), then split via a distribution & relays to the destination (blue lights, siren, etc...). The relays are controlled by low current switching, whether that's microprocessor controlled, or simple switches on a dash panel.

The Hella fused relays are useful when you have a short supply run, and running a single circuit without the need for a separate fuse box. I'd still feel "safer" with a fused supply (at the battery), or very near to it - smoking wiring ain't no fun!
Old 3 Feb 2010, 20:12 (Ref:2625899)   #14
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
Fairynuf,The Hella version is fused on the live feed side though,thats the only way I would use it,so far,never been a problem.