Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Racing Technology

Old 13 Feb 2010, 17:18 (Ref:2632740)   #1
Focal
Rookie

Focal should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Indicator lights on door panels, tow hooks.

Hi everyone, I have been searching for this answer for a while, and can't seem to find anything. On most GT/LeMans race cars, there are three lights, each with three bulbs that are in a vertical line on or near the door panels. I most often see them green, but I don't know if that is always the case. I have also seen them on the backs of some cars (Porsches, most notably) right near the tow hook.

First question: What is their function, and do they have a name that I am missing that would have allowed me to find out more about them?

Second question: They all appear to be identical, so presumably they are mandated, but where would you buy those, or are they all just custom fabricated to the same standards.

Thanks for the help!
Old 13 Feb 2010, 17:37 (Ref:2632750)   #2
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I think you are referring to the lights that in some series (eg ALMS) show the position in class (1st to 3rd). There are different colours for different classes.
Old 13 Feb 2010, 18:26 (Ref:2632771)   #3
Focal
Rookie

Focal should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Thanks Adam, I was able to do quick search including "alms place lights" and confirmed that this was what I was aslking about. That makes a lot more sense, and the fact that I don't have cable to be able to watch races live or catch commentary would explain why I never knew this before.

I am still curious why I saw one of these lamps right next to the two hook on the back bumper of a Porsche GT3 car. I would understand it being used to make the tow hook more visible at night, but does anyone know if this is mandated (which would explain why it is the same little light unit found on the side of the car)?

Anyone who knows of a manufacturer of these as well, I would be curious to know.