Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 26 Jul 2000, 22:25 (Ref:25980)   #1
Schume
Racer

Schume should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Interesting survey in Motoring News this week, even though it was only a poll of 9 F1 insider-ish people.
Title for the article was, "Is Silverstone really that bad?"

Covering all this years F1 tracks, apart from Indianapolis.
The ratings were:
Best Overall: 1.Melbourne....15=Silverstone.
Best Location: 1.Melbourne....13.Silverstone.
Best Access: 1.Melbourne....16.Silverstone.
Best Track: 1.Spa....7.Silverstone.
Best Facilities: 1.Sepang....6=Silverstone.

So does Silverstone deserve to be rated this low????
Old 27 Jul 2000, 02:16 (Ref:26016)   #2
Valve Bounce
Veteran

Australia
Home :)
Valve Bounce has been held in scrutiny for further testing
The Albert Park circuit is located within 3 km of hte CBD of melbourne. Transportation is plentiful, including busses, trains, trams, and well within walking distance from good accomodation in the suburbs surrounding the area. It is in a beautiful location, as many protestors will attest. I cannot think of one redeaming argument for a GP circuit if many spectators with tickets, after spending many hours trying to get there, not only have to miss the race but then are stuck in huge traffic jams trying to get home. So, if you were one of the unfortunates who missed the race, how would you rate Silverstone?
Old 27 Jul 2000, 09:06 (Ref:26066)   #3
MichaelC
Veteran

MichaelC should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
50--50

I've never been to Silverstone for the GP, but I've been for other races.

The location is poor, with just that single carriage way to get to it, which at least they make a dual-carriage way on the way out, but it just has traffic-jams written all over it.

The circuit itself, I like as a layout, and it always appears to be a good surface.

The paddock area looks quite good too, but the rest of the circuit didn't really impress me very much. We stood at Bridge last time out, having walked across little more than a ploughed field to get to the trackside. I assume said field was once a carpark, it was difficult to tell.

The carparks were the thing which struck me most as being bad. I appreciate that at the time of the last BTCC meeting, they were probably still recovering from the GP, but the whole situation really is bad. You drive into the impressive entrance, and suddenly they route you down what is just a dirt track into the middle of a field.
I don't know what the solution is for parking, but the current spectator facilities really are not good at all.

Rant over.
Old 27 Jul 2000, 10:43 (Ref:26086)   #4
Danielsun
Veteran

Australia
Sydney
Danielsun should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Schume
Covering all this years F1 tracks, apart from Indianapolis. The ratings were:
Best Overall: 1.Melbourne....15=Silverstone.
Best Location: 1.Melbourne....13.Silverstone.
Best Access: 1.Melbourne....16.Silverstone.
Best Track: 1.Spa....7.Silverstone.
Best Facilities: 1.Sepang....6=Silverstone.
So how much did the Victorian government pay them to say that? Jeff Kennett may have departed (or been dumped), but it seems now even Labor is getting in on his old antics...

Old 27 Jul 2000, 10:48 (Ref:26089)   #5
Danielsun
Veteran

Australia
Sydney
Back on topic, they'd really want to get the track up to scratch, in terms of access and parking. The first race meeting I went to in Europe was the Silverstone BTCC round in June. Even then, as MichaelC said, the carparks were still an absolute mess and the access - on leaving - was pathetic. I can only imagine what a 'normal' July GP would do for traffic headaches!

As for what happened on Grand Prix race week, well, I think the FIA only have themselves to blame; it was them who decided that the race should be moved to a time of year when the weather could play more of a part. They simply got more than they - or anyone else, for that matter - had bargained for.

All I can say is that it'd wanna be better by the time of the BTCC night race, 'cos there's gonna be one hell of a crowd there. If only from this website!!
Old 27 Jul 2000, 10:52 (Ref:26091)   #6
Minardi fan
Veteran

England
Llamaville, Kent
Minardi fan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Access is poor, and people with the cheapest tickets have rubbish viewing.
Old 27 Jul 2000, 18:31 (Ref:26179)   #7
Ralf's Girl
Veteran

England
London
Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!
In terms of access, Silverstone should be rated low down. Even though I've never been, from the pictures on ITV this year, it looked like hell trying to get in. And one of my pen pals walked 10 miles because her family were stuck in a traffic jam. But yes. it's a good circuit.
Old 28 Jul 2000, 09:55 (Ref:26387)   #8
Valve Bounce
Veteran

Australia

I really cannot understand why Danielson is blaming poor Jeff Kennet for the wonderful facility we have at Albert Park. And to blame the Victorian Labour Party for the lousy facilities at Silverstone is incomprehensible. Get Real, Danielson!!! What the Pommes screw up has nothing to do with our govermennts here. Carna Bombers!!
Old 28 Jul 2000, 10:55 (Ref:26412)   #9
Danielsun
Veteran

Australia
Sydney
I'm not blaming the Victorian Labor government for Silverstone, you oaf! I'm just having a go at them because it's Victoria!! So there...

I guess I still prefer Adelaide; the place had a certain feel to it and the whole field loved the place. Melbourne's too big and there are lots of people who don't particularly care for F1, or indeed any form of sport other than bloody football in both NSW and Victoria. At least you support the least evil of the three major codes...
Old 28 Jul 2000, 23:24 (Ref:26548)   #10
Jay
Veteran

United Nations
Canada
Jay should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I've never been there, but I was investigating about the possiblility of going this year, and it looked like it would be a hell of a lot of trouble to get to the track.

As a race track, it is one of my favorites in GP2. It has a nice combo of slow and fast corners that helps you establish a good rhythm. I would rate it as one of my favorites behind Spa and Suzuka.
Old 29 Jul 2000, 05:15 (Ref:26594)   #11
Valve Bounce
Veteran

Australia
You sound like a Crow Eater, Danielson. I will be watching the Wallabies tonight, Mate. Well, things are bad here in Oz: The Bombers crashed, the Broncos were thrashed. MMMMMM, sounds ominous - bad week end for the leaders. Now who is leading in the WDC??