Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 7 Apr 2010, 08:09 (Ref:2668097)   #1
Kingair
Veteran

Kingair should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridKingair should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Happy 50th Birthday Symmons Plains

The little race track in the Apple Island turns 50 this month.

Over the years it been a popular venue for both four wheel and two wheel racing.

Likewise this race track has started a few well known locals off on their racing careers including Bruce Gowans, John Bowe, Greg Crick, Marcos Ambrose, Malcolm Campbell and a few names that were before my time.

For me I have been going to the place since the late 60's, and have had the pleasure to watch some great names race at the venue. These include Alan Jones truly masterfull drive there on a filthy wet day in September 1982, in the Hamiliton Porsche 935, that proved why the guy was the 1980 F1 champion.
Old 13 Apr 2010, 00:57 (Ref:2671746)   #2
alfacors
Veteran

alfacors should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridalfacors should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It's a shame the forecast rain for Sunday put off many from attending what was a really good day out at Symmons. Not only racing, but displays of historic racecars along with parade laps too. The weather on Sunday was actually really nice.
Old 13 Apr 2010, 12:01 (Ref:2671945)   #3
Group'C'
Racer

Australia
Hobart /Tasmania
Group'C' should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingair View Post
The little race track in the Apple Island turns 50 this month.

Over the years it been a popular venue for both four wheel and two wheel racing.

Likewise this race track has started a few well known locals off on their racing careers including Bruce Gowans, John Bowe, Greg Crick, Marcos Ambrose, Malcolm Campbell and a few names that were before my time.

For me I have been going to the place since the late 60's, and have had the pleasure to watch some great names race at the venue. These include Alan Jones truly masterfull drive there on a filthy wet day in September 1982, in the Hamiliton Porsche 935, that proved why the guy was the 1980 F1 champion.
Marcus actully had his first race at the other track which is now 52 yrs old called Baskerville, there werent many race meetings at Symmons when he started racing Dads Nissan GTR.

Some other Great Names to come out of Tassie racing - John McCormack, John Goss, Paul Stokel, David 'Skippy' Parsons, Gene Cook, Bruce Gowans & latley his son Adam

It was a Gr8 weekend just a pity the local racers couldnt take part in the celerbrations. The only Locals to have a run were -

Josh Burdon - F3 - out of Karts and first time he has raced a wing & slicks car, had never even done a lap of the circuit till the Thursday before the meeting, did a Gr8 job to nearly match the front runners for speed and had no Data from his car all weekend.

Bill Fulton - Porsche, Ex Bike racer, ex Kart racer, has run in many national classes, current Targa class competitor, good stong results for first race meeting in new car.

Sam Walter - First drive of 4WD Subaru in production class - tough weekend at the office

Greg Crick - Holt BMW - strong weekend