alexhall
Racer

England
Thirsk, North Yorkshire
alexhall should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by uncle tom View Post
I have been selected to marshal due to the new Arena section being added
Me too. Letter through the post today. My first GP in my third full year of marshalling. Happy days. Reply by 21st May.
Old 11 May 2010, 16:50 (Ref:2688700)   #377
Asp
Race Official
Veteran

England
Cumbria, UK
Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!
Likewise here!
However, I was on the verge of committing to attend in green instead. Time for a quick decision I thinks.
Old 11 May 2010, 17:09 (Ref:2688709)   #378
speedy jon
Racer

Wales
pencoed
speedy jon should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
nice one bet your well chuffed.

on the subject of the Bgp, when do we find out which post we are on?
Old 11 May 2010, 18:42 (Ref:2688767)   #379
Hepatic
Veteran

United Kingdom
Preston-ish
Hepatic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridHepatic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
tickets (well, wristbands), sign on details etc all come out about 2 weeks before the event. you will be given all the details you need then including the post you have been allocated to.
Old 11 May 2010, 19:06 (Ref:2688791)   #380
m1fcf
Veteran

United Kingdom
m1fcf should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridm1fcf should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by uncle tom View Post
I have been selected to marshal due to the new Arena section being added
Congrats - If I knew then what I know now about the extra bit of circuit, I might just have applied - I was just under the minimum requirements for application, but with the extras now required, I may just have scraped it.

Oh well - next year.....
Old 11 May 2010, 19:32 (Ref:2688802)   #381
Irvine6
Rookie

Irvine6 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I have also had a letter today saying im in because of the new layout Cant wait should be good
Old 11 May 2010, 19:38 (Ref:2688807)   #382
Steven Humphrey
Veteran

England
cambridgeshire
Steven Humphrey should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSteven Humphrey should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Me too! Can't wait
Old 11 May 2010, 20:06 (Ref:2688825)   #383
garybirch
Racer

England
Taunton, Somerset UK
garybirch should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Yep, me too! Thanks all those involved **You know who you are**:-)
Old 11 May 2010, 20:19 (Ref:2688844)   #384
Richard Duvall
Racer

England
Rochford
Richard Duvall should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I've also had a late invitation to attend due to the new layout. This will be my first GP and I need to make appropriate arrangements to be there and could do with a bit of advice from the old hands!

I do own a tent but haven't camped in years, but I'm assuming that it camping is the best solution as travelling daily from a nearby hotel or otherwise would be bad news. A few questions:

1. What catering facilities are there for evening meals? I've no problem in cooking but storing food for 3 days could be a problem.
2. Are showers etc available?
3. Do we park at the campsite?
4. Are lunches provided? If not how can you knock up your own pack lunch when you're camping for 3 days?
5. I presume it's best to arrive at the campsite on the Thursday evening.
Old 11 May 2010, 20:33 (Ref:2688857)   #385
uncle tom
Racer

Wales
Holywell
uncle tom should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Duvall View Post
I've also had a late invitation to attend due to the new layout. This will be my first GP and I need to make appropriate arrangements to be there and could do with a bit of advice from the old hands!

I do own a tent but haven't camped in years, but I'm assuming that it camping is the best solution as travelling daily from a nearby hotel or otherwise would be bad news. A few questions:

1. What catering facilities are there for evening meals? I've no problem in cooking but storing food for 3 days could be a problem.
4. Are lunches provided? If not how can you knock up your own pack lunch when you're camping for 3 days?
1 There will be a burger bar on the campsite or you could go to the village where you will find pubs that sell food
2 Yes
3 Yes on your camping area
4 No but there is a small shop on the campsite or again you could buy from the village shop the evening before
5 You can arrive from the Wednesday onwards
Old 11 May 2010, 20:38 (Ref:2688859)   #386
mattt
Veteran

England
Cambridge
mattt should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridmattt should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Also most sign on is done on the Thursday Evening
Old 11 May 2010, 20:42 (Ref:2688862)   #387
Piglet
Veteran

Piglet should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridPiglet should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridPiglet should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Duvall View Post

Camping is the best solution, you'll struggle to find hotel accommodation at this stage.

1. There is a burger and a chip wagon. There is also a mobile shop with tea, coffee etc. They used to bring products from the butcher but I'm not sure the butcher is still open.

2. Yes there will be showers provided (remember to check that the one you are in is hot before getting naked!)
3. Yes, usually but sometimes in the car park adjacent to the campsite.
4. No, bread and rolls will last for a good few days as will sandwich spreads, corned beef, jam etc. You may find some kind soul with a camping fridge who will look after your butter/milk etc.
5. You have to arrive in time to sign on and be briefed on Thursday, presumably you're a flaggie? Someone should be able to confirm the usual briefing time for flags.
Old 11 May 2010, 21:27 (Ref:2688881)   #388
focuszetec
Racer

United Kingdom
Rayleigh, Essex
focuszetec should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I got my letter today as well!!!
Old 11 May 2010, 22:26 (Ref:2688910)   #389
dazbaz_99
Veteran

United Kingdom
Aylesbury
dazbaz_99 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Me too, hasn't quite sunk in yet!! Will be my first GP

I have one question as a newbie to GP's.

I live locally and coming from the Buckingham side of the circuit I have rarely had traffic problems as a spectator at GP weekends. Anyone here think it would be possible to commute for all 3 days? I know this will involve some seriously early mornings probably, but I am wondering whether I could easily get into the circuit. Where would I park my car etc, as I wont be based on the campsite.

Any info appreciated.
Old 12 May 2010, 05:43 (Ref:2689018)   #390
mattt
Veteran

England
Cambridge
mattt should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridmattt should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I would presume you would be parking on the car park adjacent to the campsite that was referred to earlier
Old 12 May 2010, 05:54 (Ref:2689019)   #391
Piglet
Veteran

Piglet should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridPiglet should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridPiglet should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
You'll get issued a pass to get you to the campsite even if you haven't said yes to camping, you'll either be parked down the inside hedge or in the adjacent car park - some of it depends on the ground conditions at the time.

As for traffic, it's a difficult one, as long as things work well, you should be able to commute in OK as long as you leave plenty of time and nothing goes badly wrong on the roads.

You need to get to the Winterhills (is that the right name?) entrance (from Silverstone village) to the campsite - that's the only entrance you can use - and you'd need to be sure you knew what one way systems were in force.

Personally, I'd think about camping on the Saturday night/Sunday morning as that's likely to be the worst day for traffic. So say yes to a camping pitch but then only use it for the one night.

We also plan not to leave immediately at the end of Sunday, getting out on Sunday night is a nightmare, there are invariably accidents which stop the traffic. We plan to return the campsite, eat, finish packing and head off when the traffic has died down, usually sometime around 8pm. It saves the stress of sitting in a long queue that is going nowhere for hours!

Edited to add, actually I think we're planning to stay until Monday again this year....
Old 12 May 2010, 08:22 (Ref:2689065)   #392
Guinness2702
Veteran

United Kingdom
Cambridge
Guinness2702 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridGuinness2702 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Could anybody PM me the marshals contact email address, plz, as I'd like to get in touch with them.

Thanks,
Steve.
Old 12 May 2010, 08:23 (Ref:2689066)   #393
PieMan
Seigneur des pâtés en croûte
Racer

England
Bedfordshire
PieMan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by dazbaz_99 View Post
I live locally and coming from the Buckingham side of the circuit I have rarely had traffic problems as a spectator at GP weekends. Anyone here think it would be possible to commute for all 3 days? I know this will involve some seriously early mornings probably, but I am wondering whether I could easily get into the circuit. Where would I park my car etc, as I wont be based on the campsite.

Any info appreciated.
Welcome newbies.

I've tried all three options (camp site, staying nearby and commuting from home - 45 mins) over the years and wouldn't rule any of them out. They each have their advantages and disadvantages, many of which have already been mentioned, so you need to chose what suits you.

Parking is usually adjacent to the camping field and at the times we marshals arrive and depart the traffic isn't too bad. Sunday evening is the worst but that applies to all three options unless you're camping and able to stay over until Monday. Stay for the concert (if there is one this year) and, for Buckingham, try and join the queue heading round the outside of Copse that takes you along the farm tracks and out onto the Towcester to Buckingham road near Whittlebury. As the marshals campsite and parking is in the fields closest to the circuit then we have to accept that we are automatically at the back of the queue to leave, especially if it's the one down the lane to the village (past all the public sites).

Yes, it's an early start if you aren't on the campsite but not that much earlier (depending on how noisy your neighbours are). You'll probably have slept better in your own bed and need less time for bathroom and breakfast. On the other hand you'll miss out on the atmosphere and social side, especially if you are camping with people you know.

The compromise? - if you're not too far from the circuit then invite some marshalling or spectating friends to stay at your place.
Old 12 May 2010, 09:17 (Ref:2689081)   #394
Osidia
Rookie

Osidia should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by dazbaz_99 View Post
Me too, hasn't quite sunk in yet!! Will be my first GP

I have one question as a newbie to GP's.

Any info appreciated.
If you go on and do another 20 GPs the first one is still the one you will remember most so enjoy !

I have travelled in from Milton Keynes each day for the last few GPs and it has never been a problem, just leave early. What I would say is take the road from Buckingham that takes you past Whittlebury rather than the Stowe road. Getting out afterwards is always a problem, lets hope that England get to the world cup final so that everyone will stay behind to watch it on the big screens.
Old 12 May 2010, 11:46 (Ref:2689140)   #395
dazbaz_99
Veteran

United Kingdom
Aylesbury
I think I am going to commute. I am also a member of the Silverstone Racing Club. So in theory I can use their car park for the weekend rather than the campsites, which would be easier to reach from the Buckingham end,as you enter the circuit down at the gate by Club.

People with previous GP's under their belts, what sort of times are we expected to sign on/be on post for? Is it alot earlier than a normal FIA meeting.

Apologies for all these questions!
Old 12 May 2010, 11:59 (Ref:2689145)   #396
Hepatic
Veteran

United Kingdom
Preston-ish
Hepatic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridHepatic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Its natural to be curious about an F1 meeting and to ask all these questions, we've all done it All the details including times will be in the instructions you get before the event, but its normally an early start (can't remember how early tho). I don't tend to sleep in much during the GP weekend as the PA starts up quite early...!

Quote:
I am also a member of the Silverstone Racing Club. So in theory I can use their car park for the weekend rather than the campsites
is that on the infield by any chance? if so then i doubt you'll have the use of it as infield is reserved for all the really important people, unless marshals are posted to an infield area (eg. Farm) then its unlkely you'll get access.
Old 12 May 2010, 12:13 (Ref:2689153)   #397
dazbaz_99
Veteran

United Kingdom
Aylesbury
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hepatic View Post
is that on the infield by any chance? if so then i doubt you'll have the use of it as infield is reserved for all the really important people, unless marshals are posted to an infield area (eg. Farm) then its unlkely you'll get access.

No, its located on the outside next to the large phonemast near woodcote. I have used it in the past when spectating at the GP.
Old 12 May 2010, 12:19 (Ref:2689156)   #398
Woolley
Race Official
Veteran

England
Wolverhampton, England
Woolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Just a personal observation, which might be of interest to newbies. In my experience, the best part of the GP is the campsite cameraderie, the worst part is the actual event. I'd consider attending a GP marshals' social event without a the GP, but not the other way around! I'd honestly suggest that if you commute, you're missing out much of the experience of being a Grand Prix marshal.
Old 12 May 2010, 16:05 (Ref:2689249)   #399
FRENCHIE44T
Racer

England
High Wycombe, BUCKS
FRENCHIE44T should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Camping/Car Park

I have marshaled GP's before at Silverstone many times but have always commuted. If I camp, with tent, will I be able to drive my car out of the campsite and back in to my tent if I want to????? Or is it so tightly packed to get everyone in that you cant get out once your in??
Old 12 May 2010, 16:37 (Ref:2689272)   #400
Roger Lovelock
Racer

England
Malmesbury, Wiltshire.
Roger Lovelock should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by FRENCHIE44T View Post
I have marshaled GP's before at Silverstone many times but have always commuted. If I camp, with tent, will I be able to drive my car out of the campsite and back in to my tent if I want to????? Or is it so tightly packed to get everyone in that you cant get out once your in??
You can come and go quite easily by car as the pitches are marked out with roadways up and across the campsite