Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > My Track Designs

Old 13 Jul 2010, 05:38 (Ref:2725875)   #1
xlr8r
Racer

United States
Boston, Massachusetts
xlr8r should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
New Silverstone

i just want to say congrats to Silverstone and the BRDC for finally figuring out how to design F1 circuits. IMO the alterations made to the circuit worked exactly as planned, something that can't be said for Tilkedromes. The new Abbey and Farm setup sepated the men from the boys and the good cars from the bad. This allowed for overtaking opportunities into Village and Loop. And the almost douple hairpin nature of those two corners meant that the outside driver of Village could pass back to the inside at Loop. Then they had the long straight after Aintree to slipstream and set up overtakes into Brooklands. Even the bumps in the new section of track helped the racing.

Throughtou the race, this new section was where the action was and where almost all the passing took place. Tilke needs to be fired and replaced by whomever came up with these alterations. Anyone else have an opinion.
Old 13 Jul 2010, 07:08 (Ref:2725895)   #2
Yannick
Veteran

Yannick should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I second my forespeaker's congrats. The new loop worked out like charm. It was beautiful to watch.
Old 13 Jul 2010, 10:54 (Ref:2726017)   #3
Quintin03
Veteran

Netherlands
Quintin03 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It was indeed a great new section which I hope will never be lost. Abbey was once again the fast corner it should be and the bump only made for more spectacle. The new Hockenheim has been found, now we've only got to find the new Hugenholtz.
Old 13 Jul 2010, 10:56 (Ref:2726018)   #4
m1fcf
Veteran

United Kingdom
m1fcf should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridm1fcf should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think that new section will be even more exciting next year, when we get slower cars on cold tyres coming out of the pits right into the middle of a pack of fast cars preparing for the corner.
Old 13 Jul 2010, 14:56 (Ref:2726134)   #5
dyewat808
Veteran

United Kingdom
dyewat808 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by m1fcf View Post
I think that new section will be even more exciting next year, when we get slower cars on cold tyres coming out of the pits right into the middle of a pack of fast cars preparing for the corner.
Agree here with everyone's thoughts - great new section, they clearly thought about it, and it shows.

Was also on the same thinking lines as m1fcf regarding the new pits too. That should be great to watch.
Old 13 Jul 2010, 15:19 (Ref:2726146)   #6
m1fcf
Veteran

United Kingdom
m1fcf should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridm1fcf should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
From the overheads, it was fairly obvious where pit exit is going to be, I couldnt quite work out where pit entry will be. Is it along the straight from Club to Abbey, or is it actually further back along the track on the drivers right at Vale?
Old 13 Jul 2010, 15:23 (Ref:2726149)   #7
mattt
Veteran

England
Cambridge
mattt should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridmattt should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
From what i can work out it'll go straight on at the start of club. as the cars go to the left in a similar but reverse style to canada
Old 13 Jul 2010, 16:18 (Ref:2726179)   #8
Quintin03
Veteran

Netherlands
Quintin03 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Actually it's a bit earlier. The entrance is at the outside of the kink after Stowe and by the time they reach Vale they're already at the other side of the barrier.
Old 13 Jul 2010, 17:18 (Ref:2726206)   #9
m1fcf
Veteran

United Kingdom
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quintin03 View Post
Actually it's a bit earlier. The entrance is at the outside of the kink after Stowe and by the time they reach Vale they're already at the other side of the barrier.
Wow - thats quite a long pit lane. Could make for some great tactical moves then.

On another tangent, this new complex does mean that the Pit Straight 'as is' will no longer be called 'Pit Straight' - How do people feel about starting a campaign to get it called the Jackie Stewart Straight (or something similar)? Anyone who listens to RadioLeMans knows that it is a pet peev of John Hindhaugh that there is no circuit in the UK that honours the great man by naming a part of their circuit after him. This seems like a good chance to rectify that. Your thoughts?
Old 13 Jul 2010, 19:00 (Ref:2726239)   #10
bio
Veteran

Hungary
Budapest, Hungary, Europe
bio should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by m1fcf View Post
this new complex does mean that the Pit Straight 'as is' will no longer be called 'Pit Straight'
Why, if they kept the name "Hangar", and much longer...

bio
Old 13 Jul 2010, 23:36 (Ref:2726346)   #11
ScotsBrutesFan
Race Official
Veteran

Scotland
West Lothian
ScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Well the Club straight has been renamed the Wellington straight now that it's incorporated into the GP circuit.

As much as I would like to see a circuit part named after Sir JYS, I don't think that the BRDC will do so.
Old 14 Jul 2010, 08:32 (Ref:2726435)   #12
ECW Dan Selby
Veteran

England
Essex, England
ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!
Add a slight bit of elevation to the straight, then you could call it.........

Damon's Hill!

Ahhh dear..

Selby
Old 14 Jul 2010, 09:43 (Ref:2726459)   #13
bio
Veteran

Hungary
Budapest, Hungary, Europe
bio should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by ECW Dan Selby View Post
Add a slight bit of elevation to the straight, then you could call it.........

Damon's Hill!

Ahhh dear..

Selby
Add a lot of elevation and then you could call it........

Demon's Hill!

bio
Old 15 Jul 2010, 07:52 (Ref:2726966)   #14
White flag man
Veteran

Greenland
West Hampstead, North London
White flag man should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridWhite flag man should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
With the amount of elevation of the pit exit, it could be called Murray's Mountain!
Old 15 Jul 2010, 10:37 (Ref:2727045)   #15
neil_davidson2
TT Photo Of The Year Winner - 2009 & 2010
Veteran

England
Swindon, UK
neil_davidson2 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridneil_davidson2 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think the new layout worked really well.

I was marshalling at Brooklands for the weekend and they may need to tweak the corner slightly as it wasn't quite the stop I was expecting there. Although that being said to be standing trackside as the F1 cars approached at full chat and then braked after the 50M board was very focussing!
Old 15 Jul 2010, 11:39 (Ref:2727066)   #16
Fox89
Veteran

United Kingdom
Leamington Spa, UK
Fox89 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridFox89 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I was very impressed with the new layout. We went all around the grandstands on Friday and Saturday to find the best view, and the Arena grandstand was excellent. As was Woodcote.

The Wellington -> Brooklands -> Luffield section has really opened up opportunities for a few more good battles.