Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing

Old 16 May 2002, 22:26 (Ref:288432)   #1
pink69
Veteran

United Kingdom
Lincolnshire / Nottingham
pink69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
FIA Supercar Regs

Plans to outlaw supercars from the FIA GT series have been thrown out. However, 100 of each car will need to be made in order for the car to be eligible for the series, so that they are 'real' GT cars. This could harm possible plans for the Ferrari F60 to join the series.
Old 17 May 2002, 08:18 (Ref:288654)   #2
kdr
Veteran

kdr should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridkdr should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
won't they be building at least 100?
Old 17 May 2002, 11:49 (Ref:288815)   #3
Nordic
Veteran

England
West Sussex
Nordic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
When will Lister build the other 90 Storms then?

I think this would be good move, but it may mean cars like the Spyker and speed 12 never make the cross over from LM to FIA.
I am sure that Ferrari will build well over 100 F60's.
Old 17 May 2002, 12:51 (Ref:288856)   #4
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I thought Ferrari only had to promise to make 100 cars!

Anyway, what should the limit be? Setting a homologation limit is quite a good idea, but I think it works better for touring cars.

Some sportscar manufacturers just don't have the demand for 100 cars. Could Saleen, Lister, TVR, Morgan etc. sell 100 of these cars? However Porsche, Ferrari, Corvette could probably do so.

I think the series needs all of these cars not just those of the bigger (fickle?) manufacturers.
Old 17 May 2002, 13:30 (Ref:288899)   #5
Nordic
Veteran

England
West Sussex
Nordic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The problem comes when someone comes along, with a 'special one off' this then drives the main stream cars away ( I would say there is not alot of PR value beating a Saleen something that 99% of the population ever heard compared to beating a Ferrari etc) . These one off's tend to be alot more expensive than a 'factory (aka ferrari)' cars & are alot more complex to run.
What would you rather see, a couple of Saleens, a Lister, & a TVR 12 or 3 ferrari, 3 porkers, a couple of vipers and corvettes all evenly
matched. It would be nice to see them all I know but I doubt it can happen.
Old 17 May 2002, 14:06 (Ref:288919)   #6
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I know what you mean, but the larger manufacturers have a chance to make something special with a large production run. When this happens, none of the smaller teams can afford to make that many cars (especially ones with the really special bits). And the other big manufacturers are reluctant to invest in large quantities of cars.

I think what I am saying is with the large production runs, it is possible for one manufacturer to come along and do something silly (or great? ) and the chances are that the others won't follow suit. So, unfortunately, I don't think you would get 3 ferrari, 3 porkers, a couple of vipers and corvettes all evenly matched.

With a small limit everybody has a chance to do something silly (or great? ), but it is much easier, quicker and cheaper for the others to respond. And there are more teams that can respond.

However neither way is ideal, but I think I would prefer a smaller limit - the cars tend to be a bit better too!

Which I'd rather see? hmmm. Comparing the current Le Mans GTS grid (Ferrari, Vipers, 'Vettes, Saleens) and the FIA GT grid (Lister, Vipers). I go with the Le Mans grid. Does this tell us anything, I'm not sure...

I suppose the alternative is to have a price cap, although this is (and has been) open to abuse too.
Old 18 May 2002, 11:36 (Ref:289396)   #7
MaxSport
Racer

MaxSport should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The LM and FIA rules will be the same so you should be able to run in the FIA GT,LM and American LM events with your Ferrari F-60,Porsche Carrera GT or Saleen.

Smaller manufacturers,like Lister, may be allowed a smaller build number.

I wonder if we will see 100 SuperVettes??????
Old 18 May 2002, 12:12 (Ref:289416)   #8
SL
Veteran

SL should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It has happened a few times before, like the BPR Championship, but just when it starts getting interesting and popular the FIA step in and change the rules. To get the big teams in to stay there must be rule stability.

The 1995 Le Mans was an excellant entry list. The class seemed to be going forward until some teams started bending the rules so an incentive should be given for them not to. Maybe a larger air restrictor or less ballast for the greater the amount of cars sold ?.

Anyway Lister have built more than 100 Storms, well 10 Storms rebuilt 10 times each

Simon