Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > National & Club Racing

Old 14 Apr 2012, 07:56 (Ref:3058782)   #26
MartinSmith
Subscriber
Veteran

England
Essex
MartinSmith has a real shot at the podium!MartinSmith has a real shot at the podium!MartinSmith has a real shot at the podium!MartinSmith has a real shot at the podium!MartinSmith has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by MGDavid View Post
it ends with all the hacked-off competitors going to race in mainland Europe where you are not just welcomed with open arms but made to feel special; after going back a second time you are pretty much treated as a friend....
Go back three times and you're royalty
Old 14 Apr 2012, 08:45 (Ref:3058795)   #27
Tim Falce
Race Official
Veteran

England
Very edge of S E London almost in Kent
Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaireSmith View Post
please tell me when Tyrrells at Snetterton is open for food in the evening when competitors are having their BBQ's?
In defence of Tyrrells, it does seem to be open most race evenings and quite often on the nights before. You can go to the bar and order some very nice food. You can also retire to the Flaming Steak, or whatever It's called, by the main gate if he decides to stay open after 7pm.

I don't see how Tyrrells or anywhere else being open has anything to do with having a BBQ, there's plenty of restaurants within a few hundred yards of where I live but it doesn't mean I'd prefer to go to one rather than have a burger in my garden.

Is the issue at Snetterton, and anywhere else, with people having a BBQ or people having a BBQ and charging money?
Old 14 Apr 2012, 08:47 (Ref:3058796)   #28
MartinSmith
Subscriber
Veteran

England
Essex
MartinSmith has a real shot at the podium!MartinSmith has a real shot at the podium!MartinSmith has a real shot at the podium!MartinSmith has a real shot at the podium!MartinSmith has a real shot at the podium!
I feel I must do my Clarkson bit (you know.....where he said something that is taken right out of context and misquoted ) and even up the playing field....I will do this because

1 Im a good girl

2 It should be done

So...whose for being shot ?....No No ....let me explain

Firstly, I was quoted earlier in this thread as "getting round it" in respect of last year at 360, let me point out that I did not "get round it"..we didnt have a CLUB BBQ last year, (that is, the club did not lay on food and cook it for its members) there were BBQ's at the event, and the competitors all chose to have their BBQ's at the same time, ....just like the old Babycham ad on Telly the paddock was a wash with noise then ..one said "I'll have a BBQ...."...it all went deadly silent and all you could hear was a distant lorry oon the A11.......then another said " I will too" "Hey....I'd Love a BBQ" and another....and all in the same place...and remarkably...they put all the individual BBQ fires together into one BBQ fire therefore reducing Carbon footprints,,,,the East of England was a greener place thanks to their quick thinking...as Clarkson would say ..."Life was good"
It is common sense I didnt get round anything, the only thing I did, was donate some food to my customers as a thank you for supporting this event...I didnt cook it for them although I could have done...but I was more interested in the large Man called Jack Daniels that had come over from Ireland

Secondly and more importantly we are fuelling something here on speculation, The circuit owner in question has not confirmed a ban on BBQ's nor have they denied it so we are probably guilty of pre judging until its confirmed (but then again...that is what a forum, is all about....to discuss such things and if you cant then its a bit dictatorship isnt it) Some of you saw what I wrote earlier in the thread, and we could put it back in but on reflection, what Im writing now is better.

One thing that I stated earlier is that you have to determine the difference between private and public. If I as an organising club say "Im having a BBQ...you are all welcome...I will cook the food" then I have to be careful who the "All" are as that may be perceived as a public BBQ not a private one. The fact of the matter is that, as an organising club, I am a business, but, my main business is NOT the preparation/supply and vending of food, therefore I am not governed by Health and Safety laws in respect of licensing or selling food, though I do have a responsibility for your safety at the event. However, should I get caterers in...well then the whole picture changes...but...Im not getting caterers in...and as the BBQ is by invitation only then its not open to the general public ...the important bit is if you are cooking the food yourself...if you are then no H and S applies at all. It does after the event not at it believe it or not....I will explain. I was at a wedding once (1998) and got Salmonella ...now...once that happened I could NOT cook for ANYONE for six months....its a noticeable disease/virus and the H an S lot came round and said "No Dinner parties/BBQ's etc" you can attend them but you cannot cook at them...because, believe it or not, it stays with you for about four months afterwards...so you see, I know a bit about that.....burger anyone? Ha Ha

So...just to confirm

1 If you are having a BBQ be safe- its best not to have it in a garage or near Coryton/Shell Refinery ..or a Propane Gas store

2 Make sure whoever is cooking it has not in the lastsix months had Food Poisoning

3 Make sure your food is piping hot but if you give it to someone else, please warn them that its piping hot...usually with a "Ohh.....ohhh h...Fu%%% thats hot" or "Mind that its hot" should do the trick

4 I will stick by my guns and say the following that if MY competitors (and when I say that as an organising club I also include any invited clubs (BRSCC/HRDC)) want to cook their own food on their own cooking appliance/apps using their own fuel, collectively as a group or individually, providing they abide by the rules as stated in the finals and terms and conditions as stated on our website, then they are welcome to do it at the event unless the circuit owner issues a statement otherwise...

I am certainly not going to police over two hundred odd people who are hungry after spending a considerable amount of money doing something they enjoy and that others benefit from to make sure that they are cooking their sausages right and only for themselves!!!

Ta
C
Old 14 Apr 2012, 11:55 (Ref:3058893)   #29
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:

3 Make sure your food is piping hot but if you give it to someone else, please warn them that its piping hot...usually with a "Ohh.....ohhh h...Fu%%% thats hot" or "Mind that its hot" should do the trick
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sv5iEK-IEzw
Old 14 Apr 2012, 11:57 (Ref:3058894)   #30
MartinSmith
Subscriber
Veteran

England
Essex
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Mallett View Post

Ohhh Peter...that is on a CD i did for Le Mans 2009 !!!!

Funny Funny Funny

" You're Mr Stevens?"

" Who is Mr Stevens"

" He is head of catering "
Old 14 Apr 2012, 13:48 (Ref:3058934)   #31
PRS RH01
Racer

United Kingdom
Stockport
PRS RH01 has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Group BBQ

Spot on Claire i agree with all you say and love the babycham idea, and a JD as well. I think all misunderstood my statement re giving a £ to the circuit . In theory we by providing free food are depriving the catering units of revenue . I tend to stay away from the circuit, but when i do stay i camp so dont think im a light weight ! Bit of a catch 22 stay open and no one comes or close and let people sort themselves out . If you arrive late on Friday you dont want to start cooking but get a beer and a bar snack other liquids are available .Then Saturday then your group BBQ sounds great. Love to have a burger at your next one i will bring the alcohol .

Peter
Old 14 Apr 2012, 15:26 (Ref:3058975)   #32
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

grantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Charging the caterers at large events (thus 'adjusting' the prices charged to the clients) has been common for some time. From memory of what I have been told in the past the amount to pass to the circuit/organisers would be around 20% minimum though often higher.

Now for that you are typically talking marquees with formal seating and bars and the like and, possibly, a full sit down meal available for sponsors guests etc.

Extending that to attempt to cover self provided communal BBQs seems a little extreme. One also wonders what the deal might be for anyone getting a takeaway or fish fryer to deliver to site. I assume that collection by representatives of the consumers would be OK. Or perhaps even if 'delivery' occured outside the gates.

One has to wonder what the full motivation might be for the original email. It may not be entirely as it seems.
Old 14 Apr 2012, 15:57 (Ref:3058992)   #33
Tim Falce
Race Official
Veteran

England
Very edge of S E London almost in Kent
Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by grantp View Post
One has to wonder what the full motivation might be for the original email. It may not be entirely as it seems.
Agreed, no doubt some of it may have been lost in translation so to speak.
Old 14 Apr 2012, 18:24 (Ref:3059074)   #34
MGDavid
Veteran

England
Berkshire
MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Ohhh Peter...that is on a CD i did for Le Mans 2009 !!!!

Funny Funny Funny

" You're Mr Stevens?"

" Who is Mr Stevens"

" He is head of catering "
not any longer, it's Claire Smith now
Old 14 Apr 2012, 19:53 (Ref:3059105)   #35
djinvicta
Veteran

Wales
Mojacar Southern Spain
djinvicta has a real shot at the podium!djinvicta has a real shot at the podium!djinvicta has a real shot at the podium!djinvicta has a real shot at the podium!djinvicta has a real shot at the podium!
I just hope she brings a tray....
Old 15 Apr 2012, 10:41 (Ref:3059406)   #36
MartinSmith
Subscriber
Veteran

England
Essex
Well we'll still need a tray

I think we shall wait and see what was the outcome re Bernie etc ....

Ta
C
Old 15 Apr 2012, 11:06 (Ref:3059421)   #37
stockhatcher
Rookie

stockhatcher should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
i smell the work of Johnathan Palmer. He doesn't want any damage to his precious circuits.

Palmer was the one who instigated the MSA edict about circuit widths and punishments that we all have to read about on our finals. Yep that's right, JP tells the MSA what to do. Because his repair bill is a bit much. Diddums, £5m profits on £20m turnover last year. he can and should pay for it.
Old 16 Apr 2012, 07:14 (Ref:3060024)   #38
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!
I did hear a substantial fee was being asked to hold the barby but cannot confirm! Tell you what barby's or Brairres as they call them in South Africa are a national institution out there if they tried this on there would be mass action.
Old 16 Apr 2012, 07:31 (Ref:3060031)   #39
MartinSmith
Subscriber
Veteran

England
Essex
So in truth we are speculating (I'm including myself) and as we cant confirm or deny we are up a creek without a paddle???? or what have you.

With regard to the circuit width and punishments...its not exactly related to putting a shrimp on the Barby is it? and in truth, I agree with him, its what annoys me about the BTCC, its the norm to promote bad driving techniques its the "Norm" to drive like a pratt and dangerously, its the norm for regular four wheels off infringements which when Clerking at club level and penalising someone for it, you have to defend your decision as they say "Well they do it on BTCC" and its the norm to promote a good old smash up, shunt whoever we can in the wall or gravel cause "thats exciting motorsport" not when you are dealing with a major incident it isnt ......well I dont think it is....but thats my opinion...but let me once again stress, I along with many others I'm sure would sooner have Snett as it is now, compared to how it was some time ago and as JP was responsible for that then I say "good on ya" just dont mess with me bangers x (thats sausages boys)
Old 16 Apr 2012, 08:11 (Ref:3060049)   #40
deley
Veteran

United Kingdom
Bramley, Guildford
deley should be qualifying in the top 10 on the griddeley should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by stockhatcher View Post
i smell the work of Johnathan Palmer. He doesn't want any damage to his precious circuits.

Palmer was the one who instigated the MSA edict about circuit widths and punishments that we all have to read about on our finals. Yep that's right, JP tells the MSA what to do. Because his repair bill is a bit much. Diddums, £5m profits on £20m turnover last year. he can and should pay for it.

not wanting to go off topic but this one needs a response ...... the Blue Book is quite clear as to what the limit of a track is - perhaps if people had respected that properly in the past then the "clamp down" wouldn't have been needed.......

Just a thought

Dave
Old 16 Apr 2012, 08:31 (Ref:3060058)   #41
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!
No Claire we are definitely not speculating, this function was stopped from happening for whatever reason, that is a fact!
Old 16 Apr 2012, 08:39 (Ref:3060063)   #42
Cynic
Veteran

England
Somwhere Near Reading.UK
Cynic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by deley View Post
not wanting to go off topic but this one needs a response ...... the Blue Book is quite clear as to what the limit of a track is - perhaps if people had respected that properly in the past then the "clamp down" wouldn't have been needed.......

Just a thought

Dave
As a marshal I've always found it quite disturbing that any driver should need clarification of the track limits. It's quite easy to work out: if it is black you can use it. If it's green, or looks like gravel or mud, you can't. Pretty simple really!

Going back to the original topic, I suspect that as usual it is all down to 'elf and safety guv'. Unless you ban bbq's outright within the circuit (i.e apply it to punters as well) I don't see how they can stop people 'informally' pooling food and resources. If it is promoted as some sort of official club or series event, then presumably as Clare has mentioned all sorts of H&S and insurance liablilties crop up.
Old 16 Apr 2012, 08:43 (Ref:3060066)   #43
MartinSmith
Subscriber
Veteran

England
Essex
Quote:
Originally Posted by Al Weyman View Post
No Claire we are definitely not speculating, this function was stopped from happening for whatever reason, that is a fact!
So its a FACT that the BBQ was cancelled....but a SPECULATION as to why?
Old 16 Apr 2012, 09:07 (Ref:3060075)   #44
johngee
#WhatAreHashTags
Veteran

johngee has a real shot at the podium!johngee has a real shot at the podium!johngee has a real shot at the podium!johngee has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by stockhatcher View Post
I think that it was quite right for JP to lobby the MSA to crack down on the respect required regarding circuit width - it's just a pity that it's not applied to the BTCC
I would like to point out though, that you're confusing profit with cash flow and capital investment. If MSV doesn't generate profit it simply means that there is no money to invest in the improvements to the circuits, and I think everyone will agree that MSV circuits are a far better environment in which to race, spectate or officiate and JP should be applauded for the improvements.
I'm not a spokesman for MSV but I do vividly remember the state of the circuits and facilities under the previous managements.
Old 16 Apr 2012, 11:44 (Ref:3060155)   #45
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
Kent+Mojacar Spain, but not always ?
GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!
Does this mean I can't bring a barrel of my sponsors brew, just like I used to supply at all the Heritage rounds ?
Balls of steel (knob of butter) They're Asking For Larkins. ( Proper beer) not you're Eurofizz crap. Hace más calor en España. Me han conocido a hablar un montón cojones! Send any cheques and cash to PO box 1 Lagos Nigeria Africa !
Old 16 Apr 2012, 11:58 (Ref:3060163)   #46
johngee
#WhatAreHashTags
Veteran

johngee has a real shot at the podium!johngee has a real shot at the podium!johngee has a real shot at the podium!johngee has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by GORDON STREETER View Post
Does this mean I can't bring a barrel of my sponsors brew, just like I used to supply at all the Heritage rounds ?
Gordon. I think that comes under the category of "Don't ask a question that you don't want to know the answer to"
Old 16 Apr 2012, 16:22 (Ref:3060348)   #47
JimW
Veteran

United Kingdom
Worcestershire, UK
JimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by johngee View Post
I think that it was quite right for JP to lobby the MSA to crack down on the respect required regarding circuit width - it's just a pity that it's not applied to the BTCC
I would like to point out though, that you're confusing profit with cash flow and capital investment. If MSV doesn't generate profit it simply means that there is no money to invest in the improvements to the circuits, and I think everyone will agree that MSV circuits are a far better environment in which to race, spectate or officiate and JP should be applauded for the improvements.
I'm not a spokesman for MSV but I do vividly remember the state of the circuits and facilities under the previous managements.
Hear, hear.

Jim
Old 18 Apr 2012, 18:17 (Ref:3061606)   #48
PRS RH01
Racer

United Kingdom
Stockport
MSV and BBQ,s

On Monday this week after reading and commenting on this thread i phoned MSV. I spoke to ops and they assured me that as long as no charge was made for the BBQ then they had no problem with it. I asked for conformation via email as i have two meeting on MSV circuits this season, and not wanting to spend on burgers to be told we would have to pay i thought this prudent . It is now Wednesday evening and im still waiting , I will try again tomorrow Thursday and report back . This is not ment as a dig at MSV but more to keep people up to speed .

Peter
Old 19 Apr 2012, 22:59 (Ref:3062349)   #49
PRS RH01
Racer

United Kingdom
Stockport
MSV and BBQ

Great news from MSV they have confirmed in writing that so long as its free and only for those involved then theres no problem . They have asked that we make sure all fuel is well away this is where the Health and safety comes in . They couldnt have been more helpful . Hope that helps

Peter
Classic Formula Fords
Old 20 Apr 2012, 07:02 (Ref:3062464)   #50
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
Well done Peter lets hope this sets a precidence (cant spell I'm a signwriter!) at all circuits and the matter is now resolved, the power of 10/10ths can only be to the good of everyone in motorsport!