Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 22 Jun 2012, 08:21 (Ref:3096278)   #101
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
John Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Race 7 - Autosport 3 Hours - heading into 3rd hour

No guarantees, by the way, that the pics illustrate the time period in the heading really, but they are there or thereabouts, so no comments (but some would be good - getting lonely in here) about the fact that it can't be in the third hour because so and so is in the car. I actually didn't take than many in the final hour! Anyway, more:-

Pic 4 shows the unmistakeable helmet of Martin Stretton, in the Elva, sharing with William Durling. Sadly, their fine run ended just 12 minutes into the 3rd hour. I do not know the reason, but I'm sure somebody can fill in the gaps. Would also be good to hear other drivers accounts:-
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_4628wb.jpg   IMG_4635wb.jpg   IMG_4636wb.jpg  

IMG_4638wb.jpg   IMG_4648wb.jpg   IMG_4676wb.jpg  

Old 22 Jun 2012, 08:41 (Ref:3096287)   #102
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
John Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Race 7 - Autosport 3 Hours - 3rd hour

One of the stars of the event for me was the Porsche 356A (56 - why isn't it registered with FISCAR, I wonder?) which just kept going and finished a very fine 15th? The second pic shows the Nelson/Methley Chevron B8 (16) which failed to finish. Neither did the Ward/Diffey B8 (61) which did at least get into the 3rd hour. The G16 (45) laps B8 (25). The 911 (31) pressed on but was to finish half a lap behind it's elder sibling, in 16th position. Mr Fleming 'working the wheel' :-
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_4685wb.jpg   IMG_4698wb.jpg   IMG_4748wb.jpg  

IMG_4761wb.jpg   IMG_4783wb.jpg   IMG_4795wb.jpg  

Last edited by John Turner; 28 Jun 2012 at 08:19.
Old 22 Jun 2012, 10:11 (Ref:3096318)   #103
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire

After it's early delay the Bechtolstein/Bianchi/Bianchi MGB (10) circulated well and consistently and finished 18th. Not sure when the Safety car came out (for the 3rd time?) but to be honest it was before the 2nd hour was up, so my timeline is definitely out! 'My' Trophy winner (36) gets on the grass. Apparently, the car ran clutchless for almost the whole 3 hours which explains some of the lurid lines, and what a brilliant effort to get that car to finish 8th and SRB winner, so well done to the Andy's Newall and Garside. I must say that I'm delighted (he said smugly) with the names that are accumulating on The Turnstyle Trophy.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_4798wb.jpg   IMG_4808wb.jpg   IMG_4814wb.jpg  

IMG_4829wb.jpg   IMG_4833wb.jpg   IMG_4846wb.jpg  

Last edited by John Turner; 22 Jun 2012 at 10:29.
Old 22 Jun 2012, 10:27 (Ref:3096326)   #104
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire

Here's another batch, just to prove that I got around a bit. The Smith/Boyes/Boyes MGB (28) came in a good 12th and winner of the B2 class. Unfortunately the Denty/Bergs E-type (5) succumbed 20 mins into the 3rd hour. And now I know for certain that we are in the 3rd hour as the last pic here shows the 61 car about to be retired:-
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_4853wb.jpg   IMG_4899wb.jpg   IMG_4901wb.jpg  

IMG_4916wb.jpg   IMG_4917wb.jpg   IMG_4922wb.jpg  

Old 22 Jun 2012, 12:14 (Ref:3096380)   #105
gt917
Veteran

United Kingdom
Suffolk
gt917 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgt917 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgt917 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
John,

as usual, good pictures and information.

I can fill in a "gap" with some information regarding that Rawlson (33) that looked so good and was going well until it started sticking in gear. Despite valiant efforts by Guy Sheppard in stripping gearbox down and rebuilding, it still kept on jamming. It was a new Hewland box and the problem was with a selector fork.
Great looking and prepared car, and was good to meet up again with Barry Sheppard, original constructor of the car who was helping run the team.
Old 22 Jun 2012, 13:31 (Ref:3096403)   #106
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
Thanks, Graham; good info; I rarely find out causes until well after the event. Will put some more pics up to bring to a conclusion but fairly busy this weekend so it may run on into next week.
Old 28 Jun 2012, 20:04 (Ref:3099582)   #107
JBarrettCommentator
Rookie

JBarrettCommentator should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
FF1600

My final video from Snetterton weekend
The second Historic Formula Ford 1600 race...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OY7pY...ature=youtu.be
Old 29 Jun 2012, 08:54 (Ref:3099755)   #108
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
Race 7 - Final Results

So, Nick Fleming retained his 'crown' but his was the only Chevron in the top 6. Well done to all who finished. First 6 plus class winners:-

1) Nick Fleming - Chevron B8 (42) - 75 laps (SRD class winner)
2) Douglas/Stevens - Ginetta G16 (93) - 75 laps
3) Dodd/Dodd - Ginetta G16 (45) - 74 laps
4) Casey/McMollom - Lenham P69 (41) - 72 laps (SRE Class winner)
5) Malone/Hall - Elva Mk7S (8) - 70 laps (SRC class winner)
6) Wright/Twyman - Elva Mk8 88) - 68 laps
8) Newall/Garside - Lotus 23B (36) - 67 laps (SRB/Turnstyle Trophy winner)
9) Fleming/Jomes - Lotus Elan 26R S1 (91) - 67 laps (B1 Class winner)
11) Wyndham/Hill - A-H 3000 (7) - 66 laps (C2 class winner)
12) Smith/Boyes/Boyes - MGB (28) - 66 laps (B2 class winner)
20) Condliffe/Condliffe/Daniels - Reliant Sabre 6GT (66) - (C1 class winner)

Few more pics:-
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_4948wb.jpg   IMG_4958wb.jpg   IMG_4963wb.jpg  

IMG_4977wb.jpg   IMG_4983wb.jpg   IMG_4985wb.jpg  

Last edited by John Turner; 30 Jun 2012 at 08:49. Reason: Correcting a couple of typos
Old 29 Jun 2012, 19:41 (Ref:3099966)   #109
compte deGraves
Veteran

France
Charente, France
compte deGraves should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridcompte deGraves should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
It is wonderful to see Brian Casey in 4th overall and with a class win. Some may remember his horrendous crash at Nurburgring when we all thought he would never walk again. Brilliant!
Old 3 Jul 2012, 21:24 (Ref:3101531)   #110
Nick Fleming
Rookie

Nick Fleming should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Turner View Post
So, Nick Fleming retained his 'crown' but his was the only Chevron in the top 6. Well done to all who finished.
John, excellent reporting as always. A very fair account of the race and some fab pictures!

Thanks for taking the time and effort to write such a comprehensive review.

Nick
Old 4 Jul 2012, 08:16 (Ref:3101718)   #111
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
Nick, my pleasure; sorry it took so long! I may do a sweep up pic post if I think any entrants have been ill served, but anyone waiting for the second days races from me, I'm afraid will be disappointed since I didn't go on the Sunday. Soooo, if anyone has any pics of Sundays races, please post them.