Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 15 Oct 2012, 12:22 (Ref:3152161)   #1
F1Pete
Veteran

Canada
Sudbury, Ontario, Canada
F1Pete should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridF1Pete should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Pirelli Tires

Is it me or have the Pirelli tires turned out to be boring? In the beginning of the season the tires wore fast, were unpredictable and pit stops were rampant causing different winners each race.

For the last long while, the tires seem to last even for a one stopper for some teams and with two stops being normal. Granted I understand teams have come to terms with tire degradation, but tire wear does not seem to be what it was earlier. Races are now predictable versus unpredictable as it was earlier in the season and I don't like it.

Bring back the crappy compounds!
Old 15 Oct 2012, 13:50 (Ref:3152206)   #2
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by F1Pete View Post

The compounds are exactly the same as they were in Australia, it's just that the teams are using the tyres better.

Some people would say that the tyres should be even more durable.............
Old 15 Oct 2012, 16:40 (Ref:3152387)   #3
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
during the first part of the season i was certain i knew exactly what i wanted from the tires and i'll be the first to admit that i probably took an extreme view and held to my guns.

my overall feeling about them is still not good but i guess i have gotten used to them and like Marbot says the teams have figured them out so maybe they dont matter so much in the grand scheme of things. that said, do you think it was a mistake to use the super soft/soft combo...i mean if they are going to be used as a differentiators then why bring such similar compounds?
Old 15 Oct 2012, 18:13 (Ref:3152439)   #4
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by F1Pete View Post
Is it me or have the Pirelli tires turned out to be boring? In the beginning of the season the tires wore fast, were unpredictable and pit stops were rampant causing different winners each race.

For the last long while, the tires seem to last even for a one stopper for some teams and with two stops being normal. Granted I understand teams have come to terms with tire degradation, but tire wear does not seem to be what it was earlier. Races are now predictable versus unpredictable as it was earlier in the season and I don't like it.

We never like it anyway it goes...
Old 15 Oct 2012, 18:28 (Ref:3152448)   #5
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
In general, I believe that the difference between the two compounds was about 0.6 seconds, which seems to be the norm. Some cars were happier on the soft compound and some were happier on the supersoft compound.

If Pirelli had brought different compounds, say Supersoft and Medium, then that may have changed things a bit, but not by much.
Old 15 Oct 2012, 23:24 (Ref:3152581)   #6
ScotsBrutesFan
Race Official
Veteran

Scotland
West Lothian
ScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I've posted similar to this before but Pirelli need to make tyres that when brought to the track fit into 2 categories

Get rid of the 0.6 seconds a lap for the same durability.
Alter the durability. Make pitstops really count.

Rock Hard & chewing gum soft.

Rock Hard on full tanks lasting about 40% of the race distance
Or
working back from the end of the race with low fuel 50% of race distance

Chewing gum on Full Tanks lasting about 15% of race distance, a second stint fuel load 20% and working back from the end of the race 30% of race distance.

Loads of different strategies to work with, do you take one tyre all the way to the end of it's life....even stretch it to get within the durability window of another. Or short stop and go for two fuller life cycles from the other type of tyre.
Old 16 Oct 2012, 00:09 (Ref:3152591)   #7
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
It used to be, back in the day, that you brought one compound that was marginal for race distance and one compound that definitely would make it to the finish. Or you would bring tyres that were pretty much the same as another manufacturers tyres that were required to do a specific number of laps without losing their efficiency, and they would be made with one or two specific cars in mind.

It's not possible for one tyre manufacturer to make a tyre or tyres that fit the requirements of every team. Now the teams have to fit themselves to the tyre, which seems to be the more difficult, but fairer, thing to do.
Old 16 Oct 2012, 03:34 (Ref:3152656)   #8
JeremySmith
Veteran

United Kingdom
Austin Texas
JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bononi View Post
We never like it anyway it goes...
Never happy...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marbot View Post
It's not possible for one tyre manufacturer to make a tyre or tyres that fit the requirements of every team. Now the teams have to fit themselves to the tyre, which seems to be the more difficult, but fairer, thing to do.
Indeed otherwise we would need several tyre manufacturers involved, not practical....