Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > North American Racing

Old 12 Sep 2013, 15:05 (Ref:3302786)   #2551
jasonjessica09
Veteran

jasonjessica09 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridjasonjessica09 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Does anybody else hate the LMPC class as much as me? They are ordinary looking and they get in the way of the GT cars. But they are high in grid numbers. The teams love them I guess because it is an affordable way to be in a class that is the second fastest on the gird but for spectators..well for me at least..they are just field fillers that get in the way of the GT's which is what is relevant to me. GTC does not bother be becaue they are in the back of the grid overall already but LMPC is right in the middle of it all. Even though they are protos I wish they were slightly slower then the GTLM cars.
Old 12 Sep 2013, 15:57 (Ref:3302823)   #2552
HORNDAWG
Veteran

United States
Oregon
HORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonjessica09 View Post
Does anybody else hate the LMPC class as much as me? They are ordinary looking and they get in the way of the GT cars. But they are high in grid numbers. The teams love them I guess because it is an affordable way to be in a class that is the second fastest on the gird but for spectators..well for me at least..they are just field fillers that get in the way of the GT's which is what is relevant to me. GTC does not bother be becaue they are in the back of the grid overall already but LMPC is right in the middle of it all. Even though they are protos I wish they were slightly slower then the GTLM cars.
LMPC/PC is a very good class! Also, it will not be going away.

L.P.
Old 12 Sep 2013, 16:02 (Ref:3302827)   #2553
avvelenamento
Racer

avvelenamento User had had their licence endorsedavvelenamento User had had their licence endorsed
Quote:
I hated a lot LMPC class during merged races with WEC/ILMC! at road atlanta was a madness, a lof of yellow flags because LMPC crashes. Those cars were dangerous for GT because more had the same top speed but were faster in turns, if a GT car tried to pass a slower LMPC, it was a mess!
Old 12 Sep 2013, 17:29 (Ref:3302876)   #2554
Simmi
Veteran

United Kingdom
Simmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I like the PC class as part of the ladder up to P2/DP. We've not seen many cases of the step up (although some sideways like CORE).

But to be honest I can't blame anyone given the shape the ALMS has been in. Maybe with a bit of stability once the USCR/C gets going we'll see it work out better. Certainly have no issues with it as a class and keeping grids topped up.
Old 12 Sep 2013, 17:33 (Ref:3302879)   #2555
Mechanic Z
Veteran

United States
Mos Eisley
Mechanic Z should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMechanic Z should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMechanic Z should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMechanic Z should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simmi View Post
I like the PC class as part of the ladder up to P2/DP. We've not seen many cases of the step up (although some sideways like CORE).
?

GT IS a step up, not sideways.
Old 12 Sep 2013, 19:20 (Ref:3302941)   #2556
joeb
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Baton Rouge, LA
joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simmi View Post

But to be honest I can't blame anyone given the shape the ALMS has been in. Maybe with a bit of stability once the USCR/C gets going we'll see it work out better. Certainly have no issues with it as a class and keeping grids topped up.
Level 5 stepped up to P2, but interestingly we are seeing teams step down to PC pretty often. Muscle Milk had a short lived program. Now we have starworks and 8star setting up PC teams. Wasnt Performance Tech a IMSA lites team that stepped up to PC last year?

Anyways, I like the class. We get to see some great drivers on the grid battling it out.
Old 13 Sep 2013, 00:24 (Ref:3303089)   #2557
WolfsburgRS
Veteran

United States
Baltimore, MD
WolfsburgRS should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'm not the largest fan of PC. I see its place as a ladder step for higher prototypes, but they're just sort of there for me. Right in the middle as far as performance, spec but not as interesting to me as GTC (as those cars move around quite a lot and 'look' fast and on edge, and I love Porsches), and not super loud, not super quiet. Not a weak engine tone but not like the Corvettes, etc etc.

If it wasn't there I wouldn't miss it, but I understand its purpose and what it means to the current series. We'll see what happens with it in the future.
Old 13 Sep 2013, 01:21 (Ref:3303109)   #2558
jasonjessica09
Veteran

jasonjessica09 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridjasonjessica09 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I hate LMPC because they get in the way of GT. No doubt about it. GTLM is what draws me to this series. Also it keeps GT cars lower in the overall race standings. Its attractive to competitors yes but not spectators. I hope this class gets very little TV time come Daytona 24/Sebring 12 hour time. Hopefully they get slowed down too and smaller fuel tanks by then as the GTLM winner deservers to finish higher overall than the LMPC winner.
Old 13 Sep 2013, 02:09 (Ref:3303115)   #2559
HORNDAWG
Veteran

United States
Oregon
HORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
I hate LMPC because they get in the way of GT. No doubt about it. GTLM is what draws me to this series. Also it keeps GT cars lower in the overall race standings. Its attractive to competitors yes but not spectators. I hope this class gets very little TV time come Daytona 24/Sebring 12 hour time. Hopefully they get slowed down too and smaller fuel tanks by then as the GTLM winner deservers to finish higher overall than the LMPC winner.

L.P.
Old 13 Sep 2013, 02:21 (Ref:3303118)   #2560
rwindle
Rookie

United States
Dallas, Texas
rwindle should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I enjoy the PC class ... some of the gentleman drivers in PC are not as quick as the GT Pro drivers which is how a PC car gets in amongst the GT cars ... especially when the green flag waves. In the right hands, e.g. Marcelli, Junquiera, Braun, PC cars are quicker than GT cars.

Regarding the statement that they are "ordinary looking" ... I disagree ... they look very much like the open cockpit P2 cars in FIA WEC, ELMS and ALMS ... minus that billboard sized fin.
Old 13 Sep 2013, 03:51 (Ref:3303136)   #2561
Lagunaseca_4life
Veteran

United States
Central Valley CA
Lagunaseca_4life should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridLagunaseca_4life should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I don't like pc's when on tv taking attention away from better battles.but at the track in person they are fun to watch and I like em in the race.i would rather go without gtc.
Old 14 Sep 2013, 12:38 (Ref:3303816)   #2562
Mechanic Z
Veteran

United States
Mos Eisley
Mechanic Z should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMechanic Z should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMechanic Z should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMechanic Z should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Porsche and Ferrari getting some BOP changes, along with some additional qualifications for Falken's 2010 car.
http://www.imsaracing.net/2013/alms/...IN%2013-26.pdf
Old 14 Sep 2013, 12:50 (Ref:3303819)   #2563
avvelenamento
Racer

avvelenamento User had had their licence endorsedavvelenamento User had had their licence endorsed
Doesn't falken use a 2012 997 GT3 RSR?
Anyway ferrari problem in ALMS is not bop, but slow drivers.
Old 14 Sep 2013, 12:51 (Ref:3303820)   #2564
Victor_RO
Veteran

Romania
Cluj-Napoca, Romania
Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by avvelenamento View Post
Doesn't falken use a 2012 997 GT3 RSR?
2012 car was damaged beyond repair at Baltimore, their spare car is a 2010 chassis.
Old 14 Sep 2013, 12:55 (Ref:3303821)   #2565
avvelenamento
Racer

Oh yes, you're right, I forgot the baltimore destruction derby.
Old 16 Sep 2013, 03:26 (Ref:3304518)   #2566
Birddog07
Racer

United States
Pittsburgh
Birddog07 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
On topic of the PC cars: Does anyone know when they will upgrade them? At the very least they could make them a little bit faster so they stop tying up the GT cars.
Old 16 Sep 2013, 03:34 (Ref:3304519)   #2567
Accident
Veteran

Accident should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAccident should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAccident should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Birddog07 View Post
On topic of the PC cars: Does anyone know when they will upgrade them? At the very least they could make them a little bit faster so they stop tying up the GT cars.
Hopefully they will be gone in 2016, so there will be no point in upgrading them.

Not saying that because I hate the class or anything, I would just like to see it phased out when the new rules hit in November 2015 so we can eliminate the final spec class.
Old 16 Sep 2013, 03:55 (Ref:3304523)   #2568
Birddog07
Racer

United States
Pittsburgh
Much agreed. I would like if they did keep a entry prototype class like it, but opened it up. Teams can have a cheap way into prototypes while still not being all boring spec racing. And the cars should be able to get upgraded to P2 if teams want to move up.
Old 16 Sep 2013, 05:44 (Ref:3304535)   #2569
HORNDAWG
Veteran

United States
Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Birddog07 View Post
They got faster this year on the new rubber.

L.P.
Old 16 Sep 2013, 05:50 (Ref:3304536)   #2570
HORNDAWG
Veteran

United States
Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Accident View Post
Hopefully they will be gone in 2016, so there will be no point in upgrading them.

Not saying that because I hate the class or anything, I would just like to see it phased out when the new rules hit in November 2015 so we can eliminate the final spec class.
IMO it may be upgraded for the new rule set but it is highly unlikely to done away with.

L.P.
Old 16 Sep 2013, 17:40 (Ref:3304766)   #2571
Mechanic Z
Veteran

United States
Mos Eisley
Hand to sub for Martin at COTA:
http://sportscar365.com/alms/joey-ha...artin-at-cota/
Old 16 Sep 2013, 18:15 (Ref:3304784)   #2572
freeballin
Racer

freeballin User has been fined for unsportsmanlike behaviour!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Accident View Post

What do you see replacing LMPC? It would be a shame to lose the teams that are moving to LMPC next year as well as those already competing.
Old 16 Sep 2013, 18:22 (Ref:3304790)   #2573
Victor_RO
Veteran

Romania
Cluj-Napoca, Romania
Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by freeballin View Post
What do you see replacing LMPC? It would be a shame to lose the teams that are moving to LMPC next year as well as those already competing.
Ideally, a brand-new ruleset in 2016 that replaces current-day LMP2, LMPC and DP, but while keeping the cost bracket intact.
Old 16 Sep 2013, 18:38 (Ref:3304801)   #2574
Accident
Veteran

Accident should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAccident should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAccident should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Victor_RO View Post
Ideally, a brand-new ruleset in 2016 that replaces current-day LMP2, LMPC and DP, but while keeping the cost bracket intact.
^ That.

I'd prefer to just have 1 prototype class if P2 will be the top class. It can just be handled like WTCC "independent's cup" or whatever it's called. All the cars are racing together for the overall, but highest finishing amateur driver gets to stand on the side of the podium and there is a sort of mini championship within the overall championship. That way the amateur drivers can win something without adding another class to divide the grid up and confuse casual fans.
Old 16 Sep 2013, 22:48 (Ref:3304917)   #2575
Birddog07
Racer

United States
Pittsburgh
Quote:
Originally Posted by HORNDAWG View Post
They got faster this year on the new rubber.
Yes, however I think they could still use a bit more speed on the straights.