Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 16 Jul 2002, 10:25 (Ref:334834)   #1
Mr V
Veteran

England
The city of bridges (one day!)
Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!
Wurz back in F1 next year?

from www.autosport.com

McLaren test driver Alexander Wurz claims he is close to finalising his return to Formula 1 racing for next year.

The Austrian, who last raced in Grands Prix with Benetton in 2000, says that he is talking to three teams and is particular close to one in his negotiations for 2003.

Unsurprisingly, Wurz was unwilling to name the team, but speculation suggests it is Toyota. The 28-year-old is said to have a good relationship with technical director and compatriot Gustav Brunner. And with his two years as McLaren's primary test driver, his experience would be attractive to a relatively new team.

"The annual F1 silly season has begun for 2003 contracts," said Wurz. "The market is currently in limbo, though waiting for the first moves to kick off. There are a few seats being targeted by a lot of drivers - and others will only be filled once these prime ones are gone. It seems that it is the teams rather than the drivers who are waiting. But the first move needs to start...

"My future will be with one of three teams. With one of them I am very close already, but the key question now is timing. I will see how things develop over the next 10 days and then will quite likely make a decision before Hockenheim."

McLaren has offered Wurz a lucrative three-year extension to his testing contract in a bid to stop him from signing for Toyota. But he has consistently made it clear that a return to racing is his priority. With David Coulthard and Kimi Raikkonen all but certain to remain at McLaren for next year, that chance is unlikely to come at the British team.

Be good to see him back!
Old 16 Jul 2002, 10:58 (Ref:334854)   #2
enemy-ace
Veteran

Canada
toronto, ontario, canada
enemy-ace should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
My guess is he'll sign with either Toyota or Jag. Hopefully Toyota, because as much as I would like to see Jaguar do well I'm afraid their problems run a little to deep.
A torrential afternoon practice session in Watkins Glen saw Villeneuve out-qualify everyone. By 11 seconds.Scheckter stated: "I scared myself rigid that day, I thought I had to be quickest. Then I saw Gilles's time and - I still don't really understand how it was possible. Eleven seconds !"
Old 16 Jul 2002, 11:08 (Ref:334863)   #3
f1manoz
Veteran

Australia
Lincolnshire, UK
f1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Would like to see Wurz back in a competitive seat, more than anything to prove his doubters wrong from his Benetton days.
Old 16 Jul 2002, 11:10 (Ref:334867)   #4
Sato san
Veteran

United Kingdom
Sato san should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridSato san should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
If Wurz goes to Toyota , then that must means Dc staying at mclaren ??...i cant see Dc going to Jag .
Old 16 Jul 2002, 11:14 (Ref:334869)   #5
Number Juan
Veteran

Tajikstan
Sussex, UK
Number Juan has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
yes, its gonna be one of those 97' seasons isn't it?! lots of silly moves well, one...Damon Hill going to Arrows instead of other teams.

Here must all distrust be left;
All cowardice must here be dead
Old 16 Jul 2002, 11:16 (Ref:334871)   #6
enemy-ace
Veteran

Canada
toronto, ontario, canada
Quote:
Originally posted by f1manoz
Would like to see Wurz back in a competitive seat, more than anything to prove his doubters wrong from his Benetton days.
He certainly didn't get a fair shake his last season there, I'm still of the opinion that he was "Briatored".
A torrential afternoon practice session in Watkins Glen saw Villeneuve out-qualify everyone. By 11 seconds.Scheckter stated: "I scared myself rigid that day, I thought I had to be quickest. Then I saw Gilles's time and - I still don't really understand how it was possible. Eleven seconds !"
Old 16 Jul 2002, 16:15 (Ref:335095)   #7
Super Tourer
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
East Anglia
Super Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
If Wurz does sign for Toyota, this must surely force Button into the arms of Jag, as Panis will now stay with BAR and Irvine probably go to Jordan at the request of B&H.

Certainly put's some of the jigsaw together......
Old 16 Jul 2002, 17:37 (Ref:335140)   #8
Ralf's Girl
Veteran

England
London
Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!
Wurz to Toyota as well? How many cars are Toyota planning to field next year?
"The more I see of the world, the more am I dissatisfied with it; every day confirms my belief of the inconsistency of all human characters, and of the little dependence which can be placed on the appearance of either merit or sense." -- Elizabeth Bennet, 'Pride & Prejudice'
Old 16 Jul 2002, 17:42 (Ref:335146)   #9
EERO
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

United States
Massachusetts
EERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Steph, it seems Heidfeld is staying at Sauber and McNish won't be renewed.
Old 16 Jul 2002, 18:21 (Ref:335171)   #10
Ralf's Girl
Veteran

England
London
Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!
If Sauber are as mediocre as they have been this season, that could be very bad for Heidfeld's career.

If McNish only gets one year in F1, that would be a terrible shame, as he has to be one of the drivers on the grid most deserving of a drive. But if there is a spare seat at Toyota next year, the question would be who it goes to - Button and Wurz look to be the most likely candidates, but it seems everyone without a contract for next year is being linked with Toyota, so somebody is bound to lose out!
"The more I see of the world, the more am I dissatisfied with it; every day confirms my belief of the inconsistency of all human characters, and of the little dependence which can be placed on the appearance of either merit or sense." -- Elizabeth Bennet, 'Pride & Prejudice'
Old 16 Jul 2002, 19:07 (Ref:335219)   #11
kmchow
Veteran

kmchow should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
So how has Wurtz been keeping himself busy? Touring cars?
Old 16 Jul 2002, 20:40 (Ref:335313)   #12
Sato san
Veteran

United Kingdom
Sato san should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridSato san should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Doing Sponsor functions for Mclaren knowing Ron Dennis.
Old 16 Jul 2002, 21:57 (Ref:335366)   #13
Guy Goddard2
Racer

Guy Goddard2 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Super Tourer
If Wurz does sign for Toyota, this must surely force Button into the arms of Jag, as Panis will now stay with BAR and Irvine probably go to Jordan at the request of B&H.

Certainly put's some of the jigsaw together......
Intrested in your comment that B&H would request Irvine, for what reason, and why not go for Button who is cheaper and a better investment for the future and at present a better driver.

Regards

Guy
Old 16 Jul 2002, 22:28 (Ref:335389)   #14
Mygale
Racer

Mygale should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Irvine will be forced to retire this year.
Why would Jordan want to sign him , after the last 2 seasons where he just hasnt been driving at 100 %. If a seat becomes vacant there , Jenson would be the better choice . Eddie is too slow and too old .
Old 17 Jul 2002, 00:47 (Ref:335454)   #15
mac
Veteran

mac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridmac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridmac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I don't think Wurz is a particularly good move for Toyota. I doubt he will be much better than McNish. He hasn't been setting the track alight in testing with McLaren.
Old 17 Jul 2002, 01:51 (Ref:335469)   #16
enemy-ace
Veteran

Canada
toronto, ontario, canada
Quote:
Originally posted by mac
He hasn't been setting the track alight in testing with McLaren.
From what I've seen posted as far as testing times are concerned he's been fastst on more than a few occasions. But truth be told testing is just that, testing. The casual observer can never really know what exactly each driver on a particular day is running, in regards to downforce, tire compounds, fuel load, etc..etc... Also from what I have read, Mclaren as a rule don't put in qualifying runs during testing. Why advertise their true pace.
Also from what has been reported, Mclaren have offered Wurz a rather lucrative 3yr. contract, so they must see his value.
Old 17 Jul 2002, 06:44 (Ref:335536)   #17
Super Tourer
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
East Anglia
Super Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Guy Goddard2

Intrested in your comment that B&H would request Irvine, for what reason, and why not go for Button who is cheaper and a better investment for the future and at present a better driver.

Regards

Guy
I think Irvine has the image that would fit into the B&H brand more. Being too clean cut doesn't really fit into the image of being a smoker, so Irv's lifestyle and outspoken nature would probably provide B&H with plenty of PR.

In terms of salary, I don't think there's much in it now. Irvine is not going to get anywhere near to what he has earned before. I would guess Jag have offered him half what he currently get's, and he won't get anymore anywhere else - so this puts Irv into the £2.5 - £3 million bracket - which is comparable or maybe even less than Button is seeking.

As for an investment for the future, I can't see Button seeing Jordan as a building block for the future. To step back from a works team, to a pure privateer team with likely customer engine's is a retrograde step, which is why he may have to bite on the bullet, move to Jag and try and re-build that team around him a la Schumacher style.

As for Jordan, I don't think any available driver would give Fizzi to much trouble, so a fairly fast pedaller would do the job, it may well suit Irvine, it's an immediate step up the grid (in theory!) and if he can shade Fizzi on occasion, it may enhance his slightly battered reputation.
Old 17 Jul 2002, 10:21 (Ref:335654)   #18
f1manoz
Veteran

Australia
Lincolnshire, UK
f1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Irvine has proved with some of his performances that the best thing he can do is retire. He certainly doesn't deserve a Jordan seat, and Sato's performances have improved of late, and if he can keep that up, he should keep the Jordan seat on merit next year, unless a more talented driver pops up.
Old 17 Jul 2002, 18:42 (Ref:335892)   #19
NiceGuyEddie
Veteran

NiceGuyEddie should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The development of the R3 will prove Irvines abilities to get the job done. Or lack there off. He is just not on par with Delarosa. It could be a motivation-issue, but thats merely an explanation and certainly not a valid excuse.

Eddie was the loudest voice that called for the retirement of Damon Hill back in 1999.

So I wonder what is keeping him from doing the same.