Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > ACO Regulated Series

Old 19 Apr 2014, 13:10 (Ref:3394965)   #326
Mal
Veteran

England
London
Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!
It would be nice if the ACO could put some decent Wifi in at Le Mans so we could use the app without massive data charges.

Doubt I will sign up a to the season as I will be at Silverstone tomorrow and will watch the other races on Motors or Eurosport, but I can see its value.
Old 19 Apr 2014, 13:12 (Ref:3394967)   #327
Deleted
Veteran

Deleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aysedasi View Post
Well, that's two of us content Mathias. I'm just glad to see I'm not entirely alone in my satisfaction with what I paid for.
Well good for you! Now, just as you, please let us not satisfied with the offered product express our frustration - with legitimate justifications - in full, thank ya!

Quote:
Originally Posted by deggis View Post
Unprotected, probably not an unique (per broadcast) link either. Link can be found from the page source from members.fiawec.com
This is some of the worst, laziest web design I've ever seen.

Last edited by Deleted; 19 Apr 2014 at 13:19.
Old 19 Apr 2014, 13:20 (Ref:3394977)   #328
CTD
Veteran

Denmark
Aarhus, Jylland, Denmark
CTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chiana View Post
Well good for you! Now, just as you, please let us who not satisfied with the offered product express our frustration - with legimate justifications - in full, thank ya!
I'm sorry. I hate to take up this discussion by phone, but I'm hoping you are sarcastic when you say "legimate justifications".
How are you able to legitimate justify to get an ad-free stream, radio and livetiming and not paying for it?
Last year it was with ads and in the start-up face. Now WEC is in a size where they gather a good following, and therefor need to capitilize from there previous investments (ei. The free streams in the previous years)
Old 19 Apr 2014, 13:26 (Ref:3394979)   #329
Deleted
Veteran

Deleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTD View Post
I'm sorry. I hate to take up this discussion by phone, but I'm hoping you are sarcastic when you say "legimate justifications".
How are you able to legitimate justify to get an ad-free stream, radio and livetiming and not paying for it?
Last year it was with ads and in the start-up face. Now WEC is in a size where they gather a good following, and therefor need to capitilize from there previous investments (ei. The free streams in the previous years)
-->

Quote:
Again, sportscar fans that actually do want to see these events will find other ways to watch (if they can bother), but that is not the issue. Decision like this is murder if ACO ever wants to have non-diehard people caring about their racing outside Le Mans. This is money making excercise, nothing more and nothing less. Their PR speeches on that DSC article just prove it, unless they're really as delusional as believing they can get 200,000 people to get their app and/or subscription. And then they are just crazy.

Of course, streaming service being crap and the fact that you can bypass their payment process isn't helping either, but the real issue isn't about US or the mediocre product, but attracting more people in
Outside LM this is niche sport, new people aren't going to pay for something they don't know. Outside Europe you cannot even seen it on TV

Also, if we talk about the pure value for money and ignore the rest
- no on demand AT ALL
- no multi platform access
- possibility for limited bandwidth = laggy streams
- no paypal option for payment
- no explanation of what extra content is there prior payment
- low trust in service if you can bypass the payment and the stream link can be found from page source

And most of all, hiding freaking (low quality) LIVE TIMING behind the -bypassable for now- paywall is the most ludicrous thing ever.

Last edited by Deleted; 19 Apr 2014 at 13:34.
Old 19 Apr 2014, 13:33 (Ref:3394982)   #330
CTD
Veteran

Denmark
Aarhus, Jylland, Denmark
CTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I'm not going to take the discussion by phone, as it is too uncomfortable. I'll get back to you when I get home from holiday.
Old 19 Apr 2014, 13:36 (Ref:3394983)   #331
tux
Veteran

United Kingdom
United Kingdom
tux should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtux should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtux should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Well, i enjoyed the stream, worth the £4 without any doubt, would just be nice if they could add on demand and have an option where you can hear just "natural" sound.
Old 19 Apr 2014, 13:54 (Ref:3394996)   #332
Intimidator
Rookie

Italy
Intimidator should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Didn't have the chance to watch qualifying. How was the stream and live timing for subscribed members?
Old 19 Apr 2014, 14:04 (Ref:3395002)   #333
Stahler
Rookie

Stahler should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTD View Post
I always thought that one of the greatest issues in most racing series is not enough media exposure and that the benefits of unlimited media exposure therefore outweight any costs concerning providing and maintaining a solid internet stream. The cars carry adverts – for who? The few people sitting on grandstands? The costs needed for running the stream could be paid by e.g. WEC factory teams – it would be a tiny fraction of their budgets and it would benefit the whole series. Or am I too idealistic?

On the other hand, I have nothing against paying for a good smartphone app.
Old 19 Apr 2014, 14:16 (Ref:3395007)   #334
Dani Filth
Veteran

Romania
Bucharest
Dani Filth should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDani Filth should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDani Filth should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I would've liked the chance to try it before giving the money .. luckily I could because of a mistake from them .. but now I will wait till they "fix" it

Ciao Marco
Old 19 Apr 2014, 14:22 (Ref:3395008)   #335
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Intimidator View Post
Didn't have the chance to watch qualifying. How was the stream and live timing for subscribed members?
Perfectly reasonable as far as I was concerned. I won't be asking for my £4 back.
Old 19 Apr 2014, 14:24 (Ref:3395009)   #336
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Well good for you! Now, just as you, please let us not satisfied with the offered product express our frustration - with legitimate justifications - in full, thank ya!
Oh I think you've all done that already, haven't you.......... Saying it 20 more times doesn't give it any more effect.
Old 19 Apr 2014, 14:50 (Ref:3395016)   #337
Deleted
Veteran

Quote:
Oh I think you've all done that already, haven't you.......... Saying it 20 more times doesn't give it any more effect.
Nor does you repeating the same thing all over again.
Old 19 Apr 2014, 14:54 (Ref:3395018)   #338
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
How about we call it a truce then, I'll shut up on condition that you do the same.
Old 19 Apr 2014, 14:56 (Ref:3395021)   #339
Deleted
Veteran

Quote:
How about we call it a truce then, I'll shut up on condition that you do the same.
Agreed...
Old 19 Apr 2014, 14:57 (Ref:3395023)   #340
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Quote:
Agreed...
Old 19 Apr 2014, 14:59 (Ref:3395024)   #341
Livininthinair
Veteran

United States
Colorado
Livininthinair should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridLivininthinair should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Well I am of the same opinion as Aysedasi and the others that have paid. I paid my $ just to make sure and not miss the race and to show my support for the series. Would I like it for free - hell yeah, do I wish there was an on demand option, also hell yeah. I dont like getting up at 4:00 in the morning on my only day off of the week but guess what - I will do it to see the races.

Sucks but life isnt perfect - I decided last night I wasnt going to b*tch about it any more, and pay my money, and get on with enjoying the season. We have all been waiting months for this and I for one am excited to see it finally starting...

Enjoy the sport we all love, I know I will, I can't wait to get this season going - put up or shut up, time to drive these new cars in anger!!!!

Last edited by Livininthinair; 19 Apr 2014 at 15:10.
Old 19 Apr 2014, 16:34 (Ref:3395081)   #342
ATLFalconsFAN
Veteran

United States
Stockton, CA
ATLFalconsFAN is going for a new world record!ATLFalconsFAN is going for a new world record!ATLFalconsFAN is going for a new world record!ATLFalconsFAN is going for a new world record!ATLFalconsFAN is going for a new world record!ATLFalconsFAN is going for a new world record!ATLFalconsFAN is going for a new world record!
I really, really don't understand some of the people here. I'm sure I'll get flamed for what I am about to say, but oh well.

You people (yes, I said you people) are on a motor sports forum, specifically it seems that a lot of you spend a lot of your time on a forum devoted to sports cars. It's 20 Euros! It's the same amount you would spend at dinner or the bar without thinking about it. Maybe if you're willing to shell out for the huge expense of 20 Euros for dinner you should go on a foodie forum or something instead.

When I was in high school I used to spend my own money to order pay per view boxing matches, because it was something I enjoyed. And oh ya, I didn't have a credit card either, I would offer to pay my parents a few bucks more in addition to the cost of the fight if they would let me use their credit card. No big deal.

Sure, it was free last year and that's great that it was. Well it's not free anymore and the cost is minimal anyway. I for one have no problem whatsoever giving money to them as it is something that I am passionate about and something that I get a lot of enjoyment from. I'm willing to get up at odd hours to watch the races and I am willing to pay a bit of money to do it.

Gotta question the level of some of these "fans".
Old 19 Apr 2014, 16:37 (Ref:3395083)   #343
villeneuve
Racer

Germany
Germany
villeneuve should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
I think it is highly likely that the streaming platform it just a website, in which case desktop OS is irrelevant*. Assuming that the Google TV Chrome browser can show the page properly. Does the Google TV browser usually work with Flash content?

*except if it uses Microsoft Silverlight, in that case non-Windows OSes are screwed.
On Linux you can install Pipelight, which will create a browser plugin for Firefox (maybe other browsers, too) which will make the browser automatically use Windows-pendants of certain plugins through Winre-emulation. It works great!
Old 19 Apr 2014, 17:46 (Ref:3395145)   #344
deggis
Veteran

Finland
deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLFalconsFAN View Post
*cut*

Sure, it was free last year and that's great that it was. Well it's not free anymore and the cost is minimal anyway. I for one have no problem whatsoever giving money to them as it is something that I am passionate about and something that I get a lot of enjoyment from. I'm willing to get up at odd hours to watch the races and I am willing to pay a bit of money to do it.

Gotta question the level of some of these "fans".
We being cheapskates is another matter, but the bigger matter is that making the stream non-free is not going to grow the series. If you don't care about this, gotta question the leval of your fanhood too
Old 19 Apr 2014, 18:12 (Ref:3395158)   #345
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Quote:
We being cheapskates is another matter, but the bigger matter is that making the stream non-free is not going to grow the series. If you don't care about this, gotta question the leval of your fanhood too
I don't actually think keeping the stream free will make much difference either, personally. I don't think anyone who is happy to pay a very small amount of cash to watch can in any way be criticised for doing so as we might not be supporting the growth of the fanbase.... Now if we get racing in the WEC like we had in the ELMS this afternoon, people will pay (if they have to) to watch it. I want to see the series go from strength to strength of course and I accept that the last-minute way in which it has been done has been pretty stupid, but I'm not about to take the blame for a suggested lack of growth in the series interest because I dared to cross the filthy lucre picket-line instead of holding out for a freebie....

Last edited by Aysedasi; 19 Apr 2014 at 18:18.
Old 19 Apr 2014, 18:24 (Ref:3395162)   #346
Speed-King
Veteran

Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!
Looks like the manufacturers are indeed not very happy about the new streaming deal... (Auf Deutsch)

Quote:
"But there's a solution in sight, the situation surely won't stay as it is right now," said a manufacturer's representative confidently.
Apparently FIA now wants the manufacturers in P1 to foot the bill for free streaming. No idea what that'll mean for all those that have already shelled out for the full season package.
Old 19 Apr 2014, 18:30 (Ref:3395163)   #347
FxL
Rookie

FxL should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
http://www.speedweek.com/fiawec/news...ler-sauer.html

In a nutshell:
  • Fans and manufacturers angry about fees (oh, really?)
  • There was a meeting today with FIA and the manufacturers' marketing people
  • "Situation will not stay as it is, a solution is in sight" according to a manufacturer's representative
  • Furthermore, the article says that FIA and the manufacturers discuss about the amount of money required to make the stream free again

e: too late
Old 19 Apr 2014, 18:30 (Ref:3395164)   #348
Ginaro Zukovsky
Racer

Ginaro Zukovsky should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
I don't actually think keeping the stream free will make much difference either, personally.
Now if we get racing in the WEC like we had in the ELMS this afternoon, people will pay (if they have to) to watch it.
If we had racing like the ELMS I wouldn't be able to send the link to a friend and say "watch this" without him having to pay. If said friend wanted to watch it after the race, even if he paid for it he wouldn't be able to watch it on demand! I doubt people will pay for racing that they have no track record of watching...
Old 19 Apr 2014, 18:31 (Ref:3395165)   #349
Albers Fan
Rookie

Netherlands
Albers Fan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
http://www.speedweek.com/fiawec/news...ler-sauer.html

Audi, Porsche and Toyota are not amused about the new payment for Livestream.
Old 19 Apr 2014, 18:38 (Ref:3395166)   #350
Deleted
Veteran

@Ayse: I know we decided to stop talking about it, but since you brought it up again I wish to break my vows too: how are people supposed to know there's good racing if they cannot see it in the first place (assuming they don't receive Motors or ES)? Why would they play for something they don't know?

Also speaking of the lack of on-demand: they had it last year, and the year before that completely free on Dailymotion - having nothing at all even if you pay certainly is not an improvement like they said on the DSC article (comparison between golf cart and sportscar)

"Crisis meeting"

Oh really indeed