Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 12 Jul 2014, 22:58 (Ref:3433282)   #1
Razor
10-10ths official Trekkie
Veteran

Australia
Behind the wheel
Razor should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRazor should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRazor should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Bathurst 24 hour

With more and more fans going to the production/GT3 series that makes up the current Bathurst 12 hour and with the overlords in the V8 Supercars thinking of returning back to a Group A/Group C scenario for "Phase Two" of the ATCC, could we see the return of the GT based 24 hour (possibly even allowing LMP or Le Mans car types) to replace the production 12 hour since it would take over the 1000?
Old 12 Jul 2014, 23:48 (Ref:3433297)   #2
EfiOz
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne, Australia
EfiOz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Getting a little ahead of yourself?
Old 14 Jul 2014, 09:23 (Ref:3433772)   #3
eduardo1
Veteran

Australia
Sydney
eduardo1 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grideduardo1 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grideduardo1 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Just a bit. I can't there being a 12 hour and 24 hour race at Bathurst in the same year. You won't get the international teams to come out twice and I doubt a lot of the local GT teams could afford to do both. One would cannibalise the other.

Plus, why do you need the 24 hour. The 12 hour is working so well. But it will not 'take over' the 1000. As a fan, I like having both races.
Old 16 Jul 2014, 11:18 (Ref:3434398)   #4
STEALTHY
Veteran

Australia
SA - The Custom Plate State
STEALTHY should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Razor View Post
to replace
Quote:
Originally Posted by eduardo1 View Post
Just a bit. I can't there being a 12 hour and 24 hour race at Bathurst in the same year. You won't get the international teams to come out twice and I doubt a lot of the local GT teams could afford to do both. One would cannibalise the other.

Plus, why do you need the 24 hour. The 12 hour is working so well. But it will not 'take over' the 1000. As a fan, I like having both races.
Think you missed a key word there....
Old 16 Jul 2014, 22:41 (Ref:3434694)   #5
eduardo1
Veteran

Australia
Sydney
eduardo1 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grideduardo1 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grideduardo1 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Good spot - I missed it.

But my point still kind of stands - why would you replace a successful event with a 24 hour format that is far more expensive to run, both for promoters and teams, with no real increase in income.

I have no firm figures, but I've been told by those that have done it that a 24 hour race is more than twice as expensive for a team to do than it is for a 12 hour race.

You would think that would have some effect on entries.
Old 18 Jul 2014, 10:21 (Ref:3435102)   #6
old fart
Racer

Australia
a racetrack -wish it was Mt Panorama.
old fart should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridold fart should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Another aspect that needs to be taken into consideration is the provision of officials. Workplace safety laws are applicable to motor sport and is now evident at race meetings with an 'officials break' being included in the programme even though it is rare that we get to enjoy the 10 or 15 minute break as the programme is usually running late due to competitors running out of talent or major mechanical demises requiring recovery and 'Exon Valdez' exercises to clean up oil. Perhaps in some cases better car preparation may have prevented the problem and in others it is the idiots who decide to complete a lap spewing oil etc everywhere instead of using the noggin and minimising issues by pulling up in a 'safe' spot!
Having been involved in all the 12 &24 hour races in relatively recent times I know the realities of being an official and the complex situation involved in having the proper resources and people available to do the job without the public or competitors even being aware.
Having said that I would not trade it in for anything as it is almost a privilege to see and hear the cars during the dark hours with discs glowing, exhausts belching flame and the noise ripping the cold night air to shreds.
Old 21 Jul 2014, 00:12 (Ref:3436032)   #7
Denosaur
Veteran

Albania
Australia
Denosaur should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridDenosaur should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by old fart View Post
Another aspect that needs to be taken into consideration is the provision of officials. Workplace safety laws are applicable to motor sport and is now evident at race meetings with an 'officials break' being included in the programme even though it is rare that we get to enjoy the 10 or 15 minute break as the programme is usually running late due to competitors running out of talent or major mechanical demises requiring recovery and 'Exon Valdez' exercises to clean up oil. Perhaps in some cases better car preparation may have prevented the problem and in others it is the idiots who decide to complete a lap spewing oil etc everywhere instead of using the noggin and minimising issues by pulling up in a 'safe' spot!
Having been involved in all the 12 &24 hour races in relatively recent times I know the realities of being an official and the complex situation involved in having the proper resources and people available to do the job without the public or competitors even being aware.
Having said that I would not trade it in for anything as it is almost a privilege to see and hear the cars during the dark hours with discs glowing, exhausts belching flame and the noise ripping the cold night air to shreds.
Please don't bring the whole OH&S argument into it....we all know it should be there, but we love this sport so much that most of the time it goes out the window. I took a break when I could, even if it was outside of the required timeframes that the law says.

That aside, bringing back the 24hr would have me at the Mount in no time. But I know that in this current economy, such an event wouldn't last. I'd rather see the 12hr start times adjusted to maybe finish into the night and run the thing on a Saturday, start at 10am, finish 10pm.

Long live the memories of those 2 24hr events....
Old 21 Jul 2014, 01:33 (Ref:3436060)   #8
old fart
Racer

Australia
a racetrack -wish it was Mt Panorama.
old fart should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridold fart should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Unfortunately in NSW the fun police are starting to crack down on sporting events and it is not unheard of to have them present, especially at events or venues that the state govt has an interest in.
Like you I have always tried to grab a break when possible however that is but it is hard.
I recall one 24hr event where I was finally able (at some middle of the night hour) to throw the sleeping bag down onto the floor of the old CAMS suite and tried to sleep-must have dozed off due to the vibrations from the concrete slab until something made me wake up. The vibrations had stopped as had the noise and I was out of the bag and back upstairs in a very short space of time to find that we had a major issue up the top of the Mount---that was the end of my break (a whole20 minutes) until after breakfast !.
Like you I would be back there in a flash if another 24hr comes along however the 12 hour is still damn good.
Old 21 Jul 2014, 05:23 (Ref:3436102)   #9
one five five
Veteran

one five five should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridone five five should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Denosaur View Post
I'd rather see the 12hr start times adjusted to maybe finish into the night and run the thing on a Saturday, start at 10am, finish 10pm.
Out goes your live 7 Network TV coverage if you want to finish the race at 10pm. Who would be watching?
Old 21 Jul 2014, 05:28 (Ref:3436105)   #10
naca
Racer

naca should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by one five five View Post
Out goes your live 7 Network TV coverage if you want to finish the race at 10pm. Who would be watching?
That would work if you had it on the Saturday though. They'd still probably get the same amount of coverage on 7 and Mate.
Old 21 Jul 2014, 07:08 (Ref:3436125)   #11
one five five
Veteran

one five five should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridone five five should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by naca View Post
That would work if you had it on the Saturday though. They'd still probably get the same amount of coverage on 7 and Mate.
Why would a TV network invest in something that finishes in the wasteland timeslot of late on a Saturday night?

One of the reasons presumebly that Ch7 has gotten involved from a TV standpoint is that the race will be finishing leading straight into the 6pm Sunday night news.